Billy Idol

Juliet

MM:

I'm ignoring the negative "wanker" comment in #2...

I was one of the first 500 who ordered my HAPPY HOLIDAYS CD..included was an autographed Christmas card from Billy Idol..that I will treasure forever and ever...

Juliet .

Opening night for Billy's 2012 tour..it's @ 7:30 pm Moscow time-his first concert on this tour..

It's also sunny and @ 25 ©..nice night for a.....

J :cheer:

...what?

Saw Steve Stevens on TMS recently, he still wails on that guitar! Loved the early 80's Billy Idol, not so much since then though. After all he's been through, Billy still looks good. I loved when he performed with The Who, doing Tommy, in 1989.

Greetings Joe:

Mr. Idol added London Ontario to his tour schedule not once but twice (05 and 08)...London is a relatively small community..I will always appreciate that he brought his band to the town. It is close to where I live. It is also less expensive for me to see a concert in London than go to a big city like Toronto.

Mr. Plant also added London Ontario to his 05 tour with Strange Sensation. Merci Beaucoup..Thanks alot...

I like the video on Billy's website of his performance of REBEL YELL on Moscow tv. http://www.billyidol.net

J :coffee:

PS If you follow Twitter Billy has posted info about Willem Wolfe..Willem is Billy's son...

Edited by Juliet

Steve Stevens is a decent guitarist. Billy Idol is a bad song writer & even worse, he's a pop singer. Blues based music will always overcome pop music.

I've never really been much of a Billy Idol fan (nor do I hate him) but I've always thought of him as a rock n' roll artist. Sure, some of his songs crossed over from the rock n' roll charts to the pop charts but that doesn't automatically make him a "pop singer". I'm also not sure I get the "blues based music will always overcome pop music" thing. How, exactly does that work? For example, the Rolling Stones are a blues based group but they were also pretty damn successful on the pop charts (nor is that sort of thing all inclusive to them). For those that may be unaware, Idol's roots can be traced back to the band Generation X, definitely not a "pop" act. Just because the guy got played to death on MTV and Top 40 radio doesn't make him a pop singer.

Blues based guitar music does down in history, not 'Billy Idol'. You ought to be educated enough to understand that Jahfin. Idol is crap, just like Flock of Seagulls and U2.

So music that crosses over onto the Pop charts doesn't go down in history? You do know that some band named Led Zeppelin also got played on Top 40 stations on AM (and FM) radio back in the day don't you? Your opinion that only "blues based guitar music" goes down in history is one that I disagree with very strongly. Like I said, I'm not particularly a fan of Billy Idol's music or that of A Flock of Seagulls' but if their music wasn't somehow significant, we wouldn't be having this conversation. And U2, whether you like them or not, have already gone down history based on their output from the 1980's alone. There's much more to the world of music than blues based guitar rock. That may be your own personal taste but it's not an indicator of what others consider historically significant.

Hello all contributors to this thread, guests and BFI fans:

I'm pleased with all the replies (even those who dislike Mr. Idol)..debating, arguing, disagreeing is fine with me..

I like the Generation X video...ahhh..memories of younger days at the dawn of the punk movement...brings a tear to my eye,,

I admire Mr. Idol for his contribution to this genre, as well as, his respect for those before him as illustrated in his cover of MONY MONY by Tommy James and The Shondells. Mr.Idol also shows respect to his elders in his cover of L.A. WOMAN by The Doors..another tune that makes me cry..it's just so...so....intense...

Juliet :tears:

PS Oh....May I add that everyone loves to sing along to MONY MONY..sing along and sing loud...excellent audience participation...

PSS R.I.P. JIM MORRISON

Edited by Juliet

Did I say anything about charts? No. It's about riffs and songs. Robert Johnson.

I mentioned charts because there is at least one that reflects the popularity of "Pop" music. When I was growing up it was referred to as the "Top 40". These days Billboard has something called the "Hot 100" which is the modern day equivalent of the Top 40 charts. Your statement that the only music that goes down in history is "blues based guitar music" is pretty misinformed.

Major Major:

I am trying to picture the setting where you and your mate were "singing"..Victorian era homes...close together...no gardens or driveways...,,it sound so ..Dickensian.....I'll have to google Victorian architecture now..I'm so intrigued...

Juliet :smileyquote:

PS Do you still...."sing"?

PSS Biily tweets that concerts in Germany are great; Munich, Hamburg, and tonight Berlin..I assume that gig is done..it's probably @ 2 am in Germany now....

Hello MM:

Thanks for the pic..looks like a scene from Coronation Street...

The tune SHAKIN' ALL OVER..is not a BFI tune....if it's the one I'm thinkin of it was written by Canadian group THE GUESS WHO..

Juliet :coffee:

PS I'm glad you are still singing....and not throwing bottles out the window at the same time!!!!

Edited by Juliet

Hello STZ::

I am familiar with the tune Sweet Sixteen and the Coral Castle story...In the concerts I have been at, Billy has talked about the Coral Castle prior to singing Sweet Sixteen..

J

PS Now the band is off to Austria...I'll have to google the country to see pics of the cities, countryside etc...

Edited by Juliet