New York, NY -Madison Square Garden- June 8, 1977

DavidZoso

This was the second night out of six played at Madison Square Garden in New York.

It was another good show but the recording is not too stellar. Although I will say and it might just be me but you really get a sense of just how loud the band was on this tape. The version of Achilles Last Stand is very intense. I had seen pics of this show over the years and always liked them - especially the fisherman hat John Bonham wore throughout the whole show. Then during Achilles Last Stand in a few pics you can see him wearing some sort of glasses-not sun glasses either.

There is also a story behind him wearing the black jacket later in the show but I can't recall all the details. I have the book called Bob Gruen's Works and in it he says he was told to come backstage and take a pic of Bonzo and that when he got back there he had on that dark jacket but the sleeves had been ripped off and he had those flowers sticking out of the pocket. He said everyone was in a very jolly mood.

Also on this 1977 tour and on other groups bootlegs (-especially Pink Floyd)-it was a seperate character at all the shows for the fans who were popping off the firecrackers and this show is full of them. One other tidbit is during Stairway to Heaven -Jimmy's doubleneck has a problem and he switches to the Les Paul midway thru the solo - probably the only time he ever played any other guitar besides the doubleneck on Stairway to Heaven. I had seen those pics of him playing the Les Paul and Robert playing the tambourine and never could figure out what was being played. Then I listened to the bootleg again and you can clearly hear the guitar cut out midway thru the solo during Stairway to Heaven and then he comes back in to solo and the guitar has a totally different tone.

Enjoy the photos.

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault But Mine

In My Time of Dying

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

Black Country Woman

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside

Kashmir

Moby Dick

Guitar solo

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway to Heaven

Encore:

Whole Lotta Love ~ Rock and Roll

ny77_bonzo_weintraub.jpg

The Song Remains the Same

lz19770608_06.jpg

lz19770608_27.jpg

77_sp2.jpg

Jimmy-6-8-77.jpg

lz19770608_11.jpg

usa77-wj4.jpg

Sick Again

lz19770608_07.jpg

Sick Again

lz19770608_26.jpg

Sick Again

lz19770608_09.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

lz19770608_02.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

ALSNY6877.jpg

Achilles Last Satnd

109768282.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

led-zeppelin-2.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

lz19770608_08.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

1977-a.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

109775075.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

zep_rare_216.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

usa77-wj001.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

us77-wj3.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nobody's Fault but Mine

ny8.png

In My Time of Dying or Kashmir

lz19770608_05.jpg

in My Time of Dying or Kashmir

lz19770608_04.jpg

Guitar solo or Achilles Last Stand

100965366.jpg

Guitar solo or Achilles Last Stand

100965371.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

109775043.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

als6877-1.jpg

Most likely Achilles Last Stand

109767446.jpg

Rock and Roll

ny77_jp_01.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That's funny! I'll have to give this boot a fresh listen. He's definitely playing it, I see a mallet in his hand. Bonzo the clown!

Same here! That must be a rare occasion where he brought a second kick out and used it, very cool!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/9/2012 at 4:55 PM, DavidZoso said:

This was the second night out of six played at Madison Square Garden in New York.

It was another good show but the recording is not too stellar. Although I will say and it might just be me but you really get a sense of just how loud the band was on this tape. The version of Achilles Last Stand is very intense. I had seen pics of this show over the years and always liked them - especially the fisherman hat John Bonham wore throughout the whole show. Then during Achilles Last Stand in a few pics you can see him wearing some sort of glasses-not sun glasses either.

There is also a story behind him wearing the black jacket later in the show but I can't recall all the details. I have the book called Bob Gruen's Works and in it he says he was told to come backstage and take a pic of Bonzo and that when he got back there he had on that dark jacket but the sleeves had been ripped off and he had those flowers sticking out of the pocket. He said everyone was in a very jolly mood.

Also on this 1977 tour and on other groups bootlegs (-especially Pink Floyd)-it was a seperate character at all the shows for the fans who were popping off the firecrackers and this show is full of them. One other tidbit is during Stairway to Heaven -Jimmy's doubleneck has a problem and he switches to the Les Paul midway thru the solo - probably the only time he ever played any other guitar besides the doubleneck on Stairway to Heaven. I had seen those pics of him playing the Les Paul and Robert playing the tambourine and never could figure out what was being played. Then I listened to the bootleg again and you can clearly hear the guitar cut out midway thru the solo during Stairway to Heaven and then he comes back in to solo and the guitar has a totally different tone.

Enjoy the photos.

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault But Mine

In My Time of Dying

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

Black Country Woman

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside

Kashmir

Moby Dick

Guitar solo

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway to Heaven

Encore:

Whole Lotta Love ~ Rock and Roll

ny77_bonzo_weintraub.jpg

lz19770608_06.jpg

lz19770608_27.jpg

77_sp2.jpg

Jimmy-6-8-77.jpg

lz19770608_11.jpg

usa77-wj4.jpg

Sick Again

lz19770608_07.jpg

Sick Again

lz19770608_26.jpg

Sick Again

lz19770608_09.jpg

Not Jimmy, that's Buck Dharma hiding behind those shades.

Archived