Compare The Two

Northstar

heres my two cents. remasters aside (since i haven't heard them yet), the dvd-a is much more clear in the high ends, and much less muddy in the low end. the hi-hat sounds like a hi-hat, not static from an fm radio. jones bass seems louder, but it may seem that way because the bottom end is less muddy. it is easier to hear his little embelishments in each song, and the his right hand work/muting.

the drums: they sound similar, but noticeably less reverb, and the cymbals aren't ear bleeding & distorted

plant: he seems the same in the mastering

page: sounds the same, but a little clearer and on the dvd-a, he is not overpowering the rest of the band volume wise.

can't wait to hear more! '72 baby!

I own HTWWW on both cd and dvd and I have to say I kind of like the 'in-your-face wall-of-sound' mix of the cd-version. On a good soundsystem JPJ's baselines are very well heard :)

I don't like the 5.1 mix on the dvd; sure it adds more space but it deminishes the wall-of-sound that Led Zep live certainly was for those in the audience.

To each his own ofcourse. :)

- peace all -

• 1 year later...

My preference will always tend to Winston's brilliant results. He has once stated his goal was to achieve a balance in the listening experience with regards to the instruments, vocals and such. To my great enjoyment he has succeeded as best is possible with the source material he has had to work with.

My preference will always tend to Winston's brilliant results. He has once stated his goal was to achieve a balance in the listening experience with regards to the instruments, vocals and such. To my great enjoyment he has succeeded as best is possible with the source material he has had to work with.

I agree. Just had my first listen to 'Redone' a few days ago, pretty incredible work. Much more balanced and less fatiguing to the ears.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread because a new release has popped up on Black Beauty by ledsox that uses Winston's Remaster and patches it with the "Burn Like a Candle" bootleg wherever possible (ie. Plantations, the missing portions of the Whole Lotta Love medley, Tangerine, Louie Louie, Thank You, and Communication Breakdown) in order to give the most complete presentation possible. I've sampled a few songs off of this and it sounds great to my ears. Definitely check it out! :thumbsup:

Link: http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/beauty/disp/boot.jsp?R_idx=2481

On 1/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Bumping this thread because a new release has popped up on Black Beauty by ledsox that uses Winston's Remaster and patches it with the "Burn Like a Candle" bootleg wherever possible (ie. Plantations, the missing portions of the Whole Lotta Love medley, Tangerine, Louie Louie, Thank You, and Communication Breakdown) in order to give the most complete presentation possible. I've sampled a few songs off of this and it sounds great to my ears. Definitely check it out! :thumbsup:

Glad you are digging that mix, ZepHead.  A labor of love for sure.   I did the same for TSRTS.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:20 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Sadly, the page on Black Beauty is screwed up so that Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp can't be downloaded.

Archived