World War III on the brink?

betteremily

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the world is on the brink of WWIII?

I totally agree with you on that one. Off the top of my head, I can think of two Islamic countries that America openly disapproves of: Iran and Syria. And you would have to be blind not to see how much the US government wants both those countries 'reformed'. An attack against both those nations (especially Iran) could easily lead to World War III. It's impossible to play the 'world's policeman', without it coming back to haunt you.

Forget about what the US wants. Iran is governed by a genocidal maniac trying to cause the apocalypse (literally!). Iran should be reformed.

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstand. I'm not implying by any means that WWIII is right around the corner.

I wasn't referring to just that. I was referring to why you believe so many voted no. It may not be because they are turning a "blind eye" and are thinking "it will all just go away". I would think everyone has their own individual reasons for voting the way they did and it may not have anything at all to do with why you think they voted no.

"U.S and Israel intensify talks on Iran options"

ASHKELON, Israel — A series of public statements and private communications from the Israeli leadership in recent weeks set off renewed concerns in the Obama administration that Israel might be preparing a unilateral military strike on Iran, perhaps as early as this fall.

But after a flurry of high-level visits, including one by Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta to Israel on Wednesday, a number of administration officials say they remain hopeful that Israel has no imminent plans to attack and may be willing to let the United States take the lead in any future military strike, which they say would not occur until next year at the earliest.

The conversations are part of delicate negotiations between the United States and Israel that have intensified over the past month. On Wednesday they continued with Mr. Panetta, who appeared with the Israeli defense minister, Ehud Barak, and declared that the United States would stand by Israel if Iran developed a nuclear weapon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/world/middleeast/in-israel-panetta-warns-iran-on-nuclear-program.html?pagewanted=all

At lots of points in history people have declared that the end of the world is just around the corner (remember the Gulf War, the Y2K scare, 9/11, etc.?). What makes this particular time period any different?

How about in '62 when Kennedy had his nuke-trigger finger set on Russian and Cuba?There have been many close calls and just because this is so doesn't mean the time we live in isn't one of them. Though now, this is a TOTALLY different scenario. I cannot stress enough that we are in a global economic crisis. Financially, the second World War saved the US' ass. It is the reason the '50s in America were so prosperous! Now, in this broken down construction site of a country, the US doesn't even have the entrance fee to participate in a WWIII. But they'd be inclined to do it even though common sense dictates otherwise. And that's what makes this different.

I wasn't referring to just that. I was referring to why you believe so many voted no. It may not be because they are turning a "blind eye" and are thinking "it will all just go away". I would think everyone has their own individual reasons for voting the way they did and it may not have anything at all to do with why you think they voted no.

Ehh, your probably right. Now that I reread it, I guess I was broadbrushing a bit. My apologies!

How about in '62 when Kennedy had his nuke-trigger finger set on Russian and Cuba?There have been many close calls and just because this is so doesn't mean the time we live in isn't one of them.

Like I said before, "living in fear is just another way of dying before your time". That also shouldn't be interpreted to mean that myself (or others) are turning a blind eye to what's going on and that we're hoping that the world's problems will just go away. If World War III were to suddenly break out, what are any of us going to be able to do about it, particularly if nukes are involved?

Forget about what the US wants. Iran is governed by a genocidal maniac trying to cause the apocalypse (literally!). Iran should be reformed.

I agree that the Iranian government definately needs reform; but I don't think it's America's business one way or the other. America's version of 'democracy' doesn't work in every country or culture. If some countries vote for maniacal leaders, let them deal with it. It's thier problem, not ours. And I don't think American has a right to prevent other countries from having nuclear weapons. Who gave America the right to have them? (Or any other country for that matter.)

In the objective European view, the USA is right up there with the more extreme islamic countries in their need to force others to see it their way.

Americans are a global populous. America has only existed for a mere 236 years! This behavior the US exemplifies has been around long before it's inception. So let's not completely sanitize the European community's position. We are all guilty parties. That being said, I totally agree with you.

Don't be silly.

Democracy means that an Islamic country can only have a government of which the USA approves.

:yesnod:

And it's not as simple as the U.S. pulling everybody out everywhere and saying to the world: "you're on your own".

Why not? We did it before December 7, 1941.

Like I said before, "living in fear is just another way of dying before your time". That also shouldn't be interpreted to mean that myself (or others) are turning a blind eye to what's going on and that we're hoping that the world's problems will just go away. If World War III were to suddenly break out, what are any of us going to be able to do about it, particularly if nukes are involved?

I wasn't suggesting "living in fear" at all. In fact I believe everybody should live as optimistically as possible. You should always live your life expecting to reach 90 (as somebody once told me).

But, you should always be prepared or have some kind of an emergency plan. Even something as simple as buying extra canned food can be a plan.

And since you mentioned "the Gulf War, the Y2K scare, 9/11, etc."; may I remind you that before WWII, there was a lot of scenarios leading up to it as well. Like: the Nazis taking over Germany, the Japanese expanding in Asia, an economic depression in the late 20s/30s, etc. The point I'm trying to make, is that major wars don't just start. They're the result of a gradual process. A bunch of 'small' problems, gradually building up to the breaking point. And you can see that going on in the world around us.

You speak as if you don't a voice. Don't you live in a democracy? What do you fear?

According to you guys, I am apparently supposed to be fearing the outbreak of WW III but I'm not. I was speaking to how I choose to live for today and that "living in fear is just another way of dying before your time". I didn't say that I was personally living that way. I was saying just the opposite, as the song lyric denotes.

:lol: I never once, said to anyone to live in fear, especially in my post you're referring to.

Nor did I say that you did. In the post I made that you were replying to, I mentioned how there have been different times in history where people thought we were on the verge of the world ending, to which you replied, "How about in '62 when Kennedy had his nuke-trigger finger set on Russian and Cuba?There have been many close calls and just because this is so doesn't mean the time we live in isn't one of them." That's what I was responding to.

The manipulation of 'Fear' has been an essential part of the US govt's MO since WW2. They've needed to create a series of great bugaboos to justify their bullying, imperialistic & occasionally genocidal tendencies over the past 70 years. First, it was the Commies: the Commies in Europe...then the Commies in Asia...then the Commies in Cuba...then just Commies, generally. After that, they moved on to Islam, and re-awakened chaos and deep-rooted resentment in the Middle East by deliberately identifying a bogus aggessor, and failing to persuade the true source of the problem to behave itself, which it has rarely done since it was created.

If the USA really wanted to stabilise the Middle East, it would come down hard on Israel, and maybe even fund the repatriation of its six million or so Jewish inhabitants, now that the rest of the world is essentially rid of violent anti-Semitism. Controversial, I know....but consider this: Jewish people are currently in more danger in their foisted homeland than anywhere else on the planet - a situation which appears to have defeated the objective of Israel's creation.

Just my 2p....

The manipulation of 'Fear' has been an essential part of the US govt's MO since WW2. They've needed to create a series of great bugaboos to justify their bullying, imperialistic & occasionally genocidal tendencies over the past 70 years. First, it was the Commies: the Commies in Europe...then the Commies in Asia...then the Commies in Cuba...then just Commies, generally. After that, they moved on to Islam, and re-awakened chaos and deep-rooted resentment in the Middle East by deliberately identifying a bogus aggessor, and failing to persuade the true source of the problem to behave itself, which it has rarely done since it was created.

If the USA really wanted to stabilise the Middle East, it would come down hard on Israel, and maybe even fund the repatriation of its six million or so Jewish inhabitants, now that the rest of the world is essentially rid of violent anti-Semitism. Controversial, I know....but consider this: Jewish people are currently in more danger in their foisted homeland than anywhere else on the planet - a situation which appears to have defeated the objective of Israel's creation.

Just my 2p....

Harsh words.... but i'm afraid they are true.

The "israel problem" can not be solved by turning it into Lebanon again but the idea, back then, of forcefully turning (the better part) of lebanon into Israel after WWII was not a good one. That was bound to backfire and destabilize the region and it did.

Iran and Irak were modern cultural nations before us West Europeans and Americans decided we had to pay of our guild towards the jewish people by getting them a patch of land of their own.

Manipulation of fear has been an essential part of the US' MO since it's inception.

Just my 2p....

You're exactly right. But the US has an "allegiance" to Israel. It helped create it. During WWII the US banned european jews from entering the US because at the time arrangements were being made to push them into Palestine. Israel for all intents and purposes is indeed the 51st state. If I remember the figure correctly, each Israeli citizen recieves some $5000 from US tax payers annually. Not to mention the military aid the Israeli government recieves, like the $70 millon of taxpayer money that Obama pledged last week to Israel to create their "Iron Dome".

One must draw the parallel between the strife of the native american and that of the palestinian. Europeans committed genocide on the native american, more than once in the pursuit of "religious freedom".

right... palestine. sorry.

Oh, you are absolutely right. The Europeans have done much worse things to foreign nations in the 1750 years before the inception of the US.

(The crusades, Cortez, Greek and Roman expansion, Napoleon, Colonialism)

Manipulation of fear has been an essential part of the US' MO since it's inception.

Machiavelli and the use of 'fear' were around long before the U.S.

So far it's 22 to 3, the "no"s in front. Add in the probablys, and it's 25 for the nays and 7 for the yays.

True! but wouldn't it just be great if we learned to better ourselves a bit in 500 years.

Especially if you sail off to a new continent mainly to get rid of al that old world nonsence.

Agreed.

Americans are a global populous. America has only existed for a mere 236 years! This behavior the US exemplifies has been around long before it's inception. So let's not completely sanitize the European community's position. We are all guilty parties.

the fact that something bad has been done before by someone else and the fact that you can read and learn about it.... doesn't that make it worse when you in turn do the same bad thing all over again?

(not you personally off course :-)

the fact that something bad has been done before by someone else and the fact that you can read and learn about it.... doesn't that make it worse when you in turn do the same bad thing all over again?

(not you personally off course :-)

Certainly! Especially when your grade school teacher says "Children, the importance of understanding history is to learn from it and to not REPEAT it." <_<

Archived