World War III on the brink?

betteremily

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the world is on the brink of WWIII?

You speak as if you don't a voice. Don't you live in a democracy? What do you fear?

The United States is a republic. A federal constitutional republic, to be exact. We do not live in a direct democracy. We don't vote for anything directly. We vote for representatives to vote for their constituents on certain matters, and when it comes to the President, we vote for electors who will then cast their ballot for their candidate (the electoral college). It's complicated, and you probably give less than a shit about it, so I won't explain it any further.

Americans have a voice, in that if you're over the age of 18 and not a convicted felon, you can vote.....but less than 40% of eligible voters do, and unless you live in a state where it's a toss-up whether it goes red or blue, your vote really doesn't matter. I live in North Carolina, which went for Obama 4 yrs ago, and narrowly so. My vote actually counted. If you live in a solidly Republican state and you vote Democratic, or a solidly Democratic state and you vote Republican, you're basically pissing in the wind, for all the good it'll do. The popular vote doesn't determine the Presidency, the electoral college does.

The United States is a republic. A federal constitutional republic, to be exact. We do not live in a direct democracy. We don't vote for anything directly. We vote for representatives to vote for their constituents on certain matters, and when it comes to the President, we vote for electors who will then cast their ballot for their candidate (the electoral college). It's complicated, and you probably give less than a shit about it, so I won't explain it any further.

Americans have a voice, in that if you're over the age of 18 and not a convicted felon, you can vote.....but less than 40% of eligible voters do, and unless you live in a state where it's a toss-up whether it goes red or blue, your vote really doesn't matter. I live in North Carolina, which went for Obama 4 yrs ago, and narrowly so. My vote actually counted. If you live in a solidly Republican state and you vote Democratic, or a solidly Democratic state and you vote Republican, you're basically pissing in the wind, for all the good it'll do. The popular vote doesn't determine the Presidency, the electoral college does.

Very true. I am a registered Democrat and a friend of mine is a big time Republican as far right as you can be. He knows his vote in upstate NY is a piss in the wind as NY City determines NY state and its a blue state for sure. You are in a swing state so your vote is far more important though many would argue against this. I am in a Republican area, as Rochester itself is more Republican. I may have to cross party lines in this one. I must say I do not trust this presidency to have the power of a second term. I believe that gridlock can be a good thing

One might think you are anti American Nick

:hysterical: You think so too, huh Rick? Your not the only one who's noticed his repeated remarks against "Americans" (trust me) It's been going on for quite some time......While I agree with some of the same political views in/about this country, it seems to go outside that more often than not. I'm still waiting for him to grow the balls to throw in his "9/11 jokes" as he promised to do at his next opportunity...Yeah, that should go over well here. :rolleyes:

Some people love controversy.

Very true. I am a registered Democrat and a friend of mine is a big time Republican as far right as you can be. He knows his vote in upstate NY is a piss in the wind as NY City determines NY state and its a blue state for sure. You are in a swing state so your vote is far more important though many would argue against this. I am in a Republican area, as Rochester itself is more Republican. I may have to cross party lines in this one. I must say I do not trust this presidency to have the power of a second term. I believe that gridlock can be a good thing

Yea out here in California it's similar (except of course it's LA that pretty much decides it). It would be nice to have an alternative party that actually stands some chance of winning for once. You look at the ballot in some foreign countries and they actually have more than just two choices.

The manipulation of 'Fear' has been an essential part of the US govt's MO since WW2. They've needed to create a series of great bugaboos to justify their bullying, imperialistic & occasionally genocidal tendencies over the past 70 years. First, it was the Commies: the Commies in Europe...then the Commies in Asia...then the Commies in Cuba...then just Commies, generally. After that, they moved on to Islam, and re-awakened chaos and deep-rooted resentment in the Middle East by deliberately identifying a bogus aggessor, and failing to persuade the true source of the problem to behave itself, which it has rarely done since it was created.

If the USA really wanted to stabilise the Middle East, it would come down hard on Israel, and maybe even fund the repatriation of its six million or so Jewish inhabitants, now that the rest of the world is essentially rid of violent anti-Semitism. Controversial, I know....but consider this: Jewish people are currently in more danger in their foisted homeland than anywhere else on the planet - a situation which appears to have defeated the objective of Israel's creation.

Just my 2p....

I totally agree with you.

But the US government shouldn't get all of the blame for not coming down hard on Israel. Millions of Americans belong to Evangelical/Born-Again/Calvary Chapel type churches that preach we have a 'sacred duty' to give our lives and money keeping Israel propped up. It doesn't seem to bother them that our one-sided approach to Israel antagonizes the gazillions of Muslims in the world. Aren't they human beings as well?

Quite frankly, I don't believe it's our business what happens to Israel. We have enough problems with our own country as it is. If the Jewish really want to make that part of the world thier modern day homeland, then they should do it themselves. They've survived as a distinct group for centuries without America's help (despite repeated persecutions),

and I'm sure they can continue to survive without it. That's the kind of people they are - smart and resilient.

America itself should be our governments first priority. There's tens of millions of Americans unemployed/underemployed/on food stamps/on welfare, etc. And yet we somehow have billions of dollars to throw at Israel.

America itself should be our governments first priority. There's tens of millions of Americans unemployed/underemployed/on food stamps/on welfare, etc. And yet we somehow have billions of dollars to throw at Israel.

I don't think there is a single level-headed, tax paying middle class American who would disagree with that. I've heard that exact roundabout statement, discussed many many times over.

Yea out here in California it's similar (except of course it's LA that pretty much decides it). It would be nice to have an alternative party that actually stands some chance of winning for once. You look at the ballot in some foreign countries and they actually have more than just two choices.

There are many times when I pine for the U.S. to have a Parliamentary system such as England's. Until there is a viable Third party in the U.S., we're pretty much locked into this ritual of ping-ponging from left to right and gridlock in the Congress and Senate.

As Gore Vidal said:

"Democracy is supposed to give you the feeling of choice, like Painkiller X and Painkiller Y. But they're both just aspirin."

There are many times when I pine for the U.S. to have a Parliamentary system such as England's. Until there is a viable Third party in the U.S., we're pretty much locked into this ritual of ping-ponging from left to right and gridlock in the Congress and Senate.

As Gore Vidal said:

"Democracy is supposed to give you the feeling of choice, like Painkiller X and Painkiller Y. But they're both just aspirin."

Damn Strider, you really have it in for the ping pongers today!! LOL

We actually do have more than two choices but only two that we know stand a chance. An independant is not going to defeat the Dem or Rep candidate in a general election. I do not see it happening. EVER. Not unless we get someone that has the charisma of a JFK and for some reason is not engulfed by one of the big parties. The Elephant and the Donkey are here to stay. For a while there, I actually believed things could change. But now its back to partisan polotics and the spin machines are working non stop.

• 3 months later...

I think Wolrd War 3 is already here and has been for a long time, it's a different kind of war this time though, it's the war between the Haves and the Have Nots.

You seem to have a rather odd sense of what a world war is.

It's not looking good folks.. :redcard:

"Iran is in 'open war' with Israel"

"Israel alert for attacks abroad, eyeing Olympics"

"Syria insists chemical weapons would only be used against outside forces"

"Putin urges Syria talks, signals no shift"

With the majority of 'No' votes I'd say most people are optimistic, even though the human race is pretty sad when it comes to killing.

Archived