Old Guard

Pilot of the Storm

Hi everyone! I've read the whole thread and it's great seeing some names from the past. After reading Jahfins post I realized that's about the same time I joined here (Electric Magic), I can remember the first people I talked to those days, because it was my first attempt at a message board. Chicken-she and her brother Nick were going at it pretty good, very funny stuff. Manders-Sweet, funny, caring and has grown into such a wonderful person. ledded-made me laugh at least 3 times the first week,not afraid to joke about himself and is a class act in my book. Laketh-what can I say? Probably my first best friend in the early days, miss you so much. I'm really hopeful that you give Facebook a try, but if not I'll come here more to see ya.

The next group of friends I made came later because I was paying them and thier names run wild through this thread.I just want to say that I'm soooo happy that I joined that day, Because I have made life long friends because of it and i'm so lucky!

Knebs, the mouth still hurts, so I'll just go with the spell check name I gave her-Toaster Oven. Damn that was funny,I couldn't make that one up.

hey there Levee, good to see you around still. Most of us have to use electric wheelchairs these days to get to the computer but as long as there isn't a power cut we should be fine. The old folks home still insist on us wearing bibs when we eat cos of the drooling.

hey there Levee, good to see you around still. Most of us have to use electric wheelchairs these days to get to the computer but as long as there isn't a power cut we should be fine. The old folks home still insist on us wearing bibs when we eat cos of the drooling.

Well, there are safety concerns. Whatcha got on those wheels youngster? 3...4 volt. Are there still A lot of heavey creamed soups?

Souped my chair up by going hybrid.

Hot damn, you've gone green.

Levee, I'm gonna have to do the Facebook thing so I can get a heads up on Alabama Shakes concert dates. (I could do the Tuscaloosa one for almost $180 plus travel plus a room. I'll just be patient, but if you get a chance to see 'em, do so!!!). Oh yeah, I'd get to talk to you and stuff too. That'd be cool if you don't charge me much.

Levee, I'm gonna have to do the Facebook thing so I can get a heads up on Alabama Shakes concert dates. (I could do the Tuscaloosa one for almost $180 plus travel plus a room. I'll just be patient, but if you get a chance to see 'em, do so!!!). Oh yeah, I'd get to talk to you and stuff too. That'd be cool if you don't charge me much.

I'm seeing them here in the UK in November

I remember reading the board for a while in 2002....and then I realized that only one person here at the time had actually ever seen the band (Vic from Louisiana I think ?)....so I made my very first post on April 30th, 2002, the 25th anniversary of attending the Silverdome concert. Things were much different then....including the mods....what was that guy's name who was a mod but posted ?.....young guy from upper Canada ?

I have never been a private message guy...but my imagination has always run wild about everyone here. Personal taste, but I think it's much more fun that way. "The Cleric of Magic" will always hold a special place in my heart for infuriating every Plant lover here for a while by referring to Robert as, "The Blonde". Still makes me smile. Also fondly remember "Babs the Horse", because I threatened to eat her on the trail.

Never saw anyone leave here and not come back thru the years. "The Chase" cinched it....he was gone quite a while....but they all come back, at least for a peek.

I remember reading the board for a while in 2002....and then I realized that only one person here at the time had actually ever seen the band (Vic from Louisiana I think ?)....so I made my very first post on April 30th, 2002, the 25th anniversary of attending the Silverdome concert. Things were much different then....including the mods....what was that guy's name who was a mod but posted ?.....young guy from upper Canada ?

I have never been a private message guy...but my imagination has always run wild about everyone here. Personal taste, but I think it's much more fun that way. "The Cleric of Magic" will always hold a special place in my heart for infuriating every Plant lover here for a while by referring to Robert as, "The Blonde". Still makes me smile. Also fondly remember "Babs the Horse", because I threatened to eat her on the trail.

Never saw anyone leave here and not come back thru the years. "The Chase" cinched it....he was gone quite a while....but they all come back, at least for a peek.

There were a few of us at that time who had seen Zep live. Many of us never really left.

Aqua,ZosoDragon and I saw them open for Jack White in Asheville. Amazing band! Was just as tickled to see them as Jack! We're virgins compared to Aqua though. She's seen them multiple times!

Carouselambra?

I kinda miss your old avatar... the piercings person, back when you went by some initials. B)

Aqua,ZosoDragon and I saw them open for Jack White in Asheville. Amazing band! Was just as tickled to see them as Jack! We're virgins compared to Aqua though. She's seen them multiple times!

That was the show I was trying to see in Nashville. I just can't get excited about Neil Young enough to shell out that kind of money though.Sooner or later, it'll happen. Glad you got to see them. :cheer:

I was primarily a lurker for years on the Electric Magic board.

When I first started dipping my toes in the internet pool, I naturally gravitated to things that interested me that I had no outlet for, due to none of my friends being particularly interested.

Steffi Graf was still playing and my favourite player, so I joined a CNN/Sports Illustrated tennis message board. But while it was okay for awhile, it was susceptible to troll activity and by 2003 it was shut down.

Naturally, music was also a passion, and since Led Zeppelin was still my favourite band yet I had nobody to talk about them with, I went about looking for a Led Zeppelin place to be a part of. My only requirement was that it had to be relatively free of trolls and free of people obsessed with devil worship stories and backwards masking on Stairway to Heaven.

In other words...free of loonies.

I don't exactly remember how I came to the Electric Magic site...knowing Led Zeppelin played a couple concerts at Wembley Arena billed as Electric Magic probably was one lure. Another was the fact that you could read the message board anonymously without having to sign up.

THAT was a huge benefit as it allowed one to scope out the lay of the land without having to commit and go through all that registration process. You could do a little investigating, checking out the topics of discussion, the general knowledge of the membership and the ease of reading and following the conversation.

By 2000 or early 2001, I was impressed enough to know that Electric Magic was a place I wanted to hang my hat. It was a no-brainer for me to register. As both "Bron Yr Aur Stomp" and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings meant a lot to me, "Strider" was my first choice for my avatar name and I was surprised and relieved it was still available.

But I didn't post very much in those early days. One, then as now I didn't spend much time on the computer. Two, I was still a little shy about sharing my thoughts and life experiences with strangers. Three, as much as I thought I knew about Led Zeppelin, there were people here who obviously knew WAY MORE than I did...starting with Sam Webmaster himself. Then there was Carouselambra, Ram4, The Rover and others.

So I mostly lurked...and lurked...only occasionally posting. I think after 5 years or so, my post count was still in the mere hundreds. The 2003 DVD and HTWWW releases got me out of my shell a little bit, as well as the onslaught of 1975 soundboards.

Then, the 2007 O2 reunion, coupled with the change of Electric Magic to the official board prodded me further out of my shyness.

But the main inspiration happened in 2009. That was when my uncle died and it was also the 40th anniversary of my discovering Led Zeppelin. So I was in a reminiscing mood. Around that same time, I discovered some old childhood items that I feared had been lost for good...including some old concert diaries. Reading thru them brought back a flood of memories and feelings...some good, some painful.

I still was hesitant to share them, even after my 1969 posts drew requests for more. It took another two years for me to sort out my feelings about exposing parts of my personal life, and figuring out how to be detailed but not too explicit, before I felt comfortable sharing my memories with the forum.

Actually, I'm still not sure it was a good idea...some people seem to have interpreted them as bragging, when that was not my intent at all.

Anyway, through thick and thin, I still find myself drawn to this place more than other message boards. The layout is pleasing to the eye and accessible and I think the mods do a pretty goood job, considering. I don't have any friends in real life who share my love of Led Zeppelin, so this is my one place where I can talk shop with like-minded people.

Like the bar in Cheers, it's a place where everybody knows your name.

Been here in three incarnations of the board, not sure if that makes me part of the old guard but I'm sure some of you remember me from the old days when I was just 16 or so (I'm 22 now). I miss seeing the likes of ev and chicken around here. Seen a few more of the older members start posting again like electrophile which is good though, always enjoyed your input.

I tend not to post as much these days because I'm not as big into Zeppelin at the moment, I have phases where I listen to nothing but them but not like when I was 18.

547759_395292587203329_1378477840_n.jpg

On the Alabama Shakes tip, here they are opening for Neil Young and Crazy Horse just a few days ago at Red Rocks. It was somewhere around this time last year that they first came to my attention through the Drive-By Truckers. Patterson Hood caught one of their shows and asked them to join them out on the road. That soon led to a few gigs opening for North Mississippi Allstars as well (which is when I first saw them). By the early part of 2012 they were headlining their own shows (as well as selling them out) and have since gone on to open for the likes of Jack White and Neil Young and have performed at nearly every major festival on the circuit including Bonnaroo and the Newport Folk Festival. While not quite on the same level as Nirvana's meteoric rise to fame back in '91, it's been pretty fucking impressive to see them go from a little known band from Athens, Alabama with only an EP to their name to a band that's on the tip of nearly everybody's tongue less than a year later. During a time when you've got people saying that rock n' roll is dead or that there's not shit on the radio, Alabama Shakes are proof positive that a band can still come virtually out of nowhere and be wildly successful. In this case it was without the benefit of a full length record (Boys and Girls didn't drop until April), a major label push or even massive critical acclaim. It was something that happened on a grassroots level from fans themselves spreading the word via social media and music blogs to actual word of mouth. If you think that's mind blowing to each of us, just imagine how they feel. This time last year they were barely playing anywhere outside of small clubs in their hometown of Athens.

Well, I guess I missed being old guard by a few months. But I remember when I found the old Electric Magic site, it was so cool, he had that video of Bonzo in the studio, I was like "YEAH!"

If you're a 'badgeholder' you are DEFINITELY old guard, my friend! :beer:

[this 'democration line' stuff is complete and utter b.s.]

[by this accord, people who made accounts here just to be hip or whatever on the night of the o2 show... who never made a single post or contribution to anything here... all the sudden assume some kind of 'status']?

[edited because mind your own business]

You REALLY don't understand, and because of that , it's just better that for once you keep out of it. If you can resist.

(edited because - it has NOTHING to do with status, just friendship. And you can mind your own business on that - oh the irony!)

You REALLY don't understand, and because of that , it's just better that for once you keep out of it. If you can resist.

(edited because - it has NOTHING to do with status, just friendship. And you can mind your own business on that - oh the irony!)

[what do you mean i don't understand]? [i'm just regurgitating something that was said a few pages back regarding some kind of 'democration line' shit].

[yes, it really promotes 'friendship' when a cut-off date is assigned].

[led zeppelin's version of the Berlin wall] <_<

[i'm not speaking for myself because quite obviously people are annoyed [intimidated] by me [my ability to be blunt]]... [just to newer members here in general]

Archived