CLASSIC FILM REELS AT THE LED ZEPPELIN PLAZA

betteremily

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch classic movies?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you or anyone you've known ever said "I cannot watch this because it's in black and white"

• Yes
    • No
    • What the fu*k?

I personally don't go to movie theatres. I haven't been to a movie theatre in nearly 7 years. I just don't appreciate new box-office movies. I feel storytelling, cinematography and screen acting is a dying art due to technological advancements among other things. And so rarely do new movies relate to the average man.

But I am a huge classic film buff and I know a few people here are too.

Amazingly, you can find some classic films on youtube. What an age to live in!

So I decided that I'd create this thread that is all Classic Films and the people that went with them. Here we can post youtube movies, trailers, photographs, lobby cards etc and just general discussion. Maybe we can help keep these true gems aglow and turn each other on to some really unforgettably great films. For every mood, there is a film to go with it.

NO ADMISSION FEES! ;)

So here's my pick of the day: "PENNY SERENADE" 1941- Starring Cary Grant, Irene Dunne

tumblr_lm2mzsHUo91qavqczo1_400.jpgIrenDunne1.jpg

This film has it all. Love, Pain and Triumph. A true classic and one that EVERYONE here can somehow relate to. Get your tissues, this one's a tear-jerker.

Storyline from IMBD.com:

As Julie prepares to leave her husband Roger, she begins to play through a stack of recordings,each of which reminds her of events in their lives together. One of them is the song that was playing when she and Roger first met in a music store. Other songs remind her of their courtship, their marriage, their desire for a child, and the joys and sorrows that they have shared. A flood of memories comes back to her as she ponders their present problems and how they arose.

I'm dedicating this one in loving memory of my cat Trina. For it was from this film that she was given her name.

:tears:

PENNY SERENADE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6IFthH_pYg

I love classic movies. I have been exposed to international cinema my entire life with a father who loved movies his whole life, given talks about them, taught them and writes about them. His mother and my grandmother loved movies. Gone With the Wind was her favorite movie and Norma Shearer was one of her very favorite actresses. She also introduced me to the Warner Brothers Busby Burkeley musicals of the 30s, which I love too.

The films made during and about WWII are fascinating to me. Made for the public whos loved ones were taken away, many never to return. News reels of what was going on over there, or what our goverment wanted the public to think was going on, were shown before the movie. Not only were these times before computers and the interet, but no one had TV, word of mouth, news papers, raido and news reel films were the only news source.

post-841-0-86602700-1344179124_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-47587200-1344179154_thumb.jpg

I'm all about the classics too. My favorites are the old time comedies and horror movies since I feel like those two genres have taken the biggest nose dive over the years. Great idea for a thread.

I personally don't go to movie theatres. I haven't been to a movie theatre in nearly 7 years. I just don't appreciate new box-office movies. I feel storytelling, cinematography and screen acting is a dying art due to technological advancements among other things. And so rarely do new movies relate to the average man.

I'm not sure if one of the "technological advancements" you refer to is how some movie theatres have completely done away with their projectionists and are now showing movies on DVD but if it is, you may be relieved to know that some movie theatres still use film. I understand the overuse of CGI and other newer techniques can also be a huge turnoff for some people but I'm still a fairly avid film goer. Lots of newer movies being made don't use that sort of technology, including the newly released Beasts of the Southern Wild which was shot entirely on 16mm film. And yes, I also love the classics but I love new movies too.

It's no secret that I love old, classic movies...half of my posts on the Movie thread are probably about old, classic movies that I went to see.

Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck, Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, Robert Mitchum...many many more.

In fact, I LOVE and respect the classics so much that one thing I won't do is watch a movie on YouTube or a iPhone or iPad. A decent sized TV screen is the bare minimum I will accept. But my first choice is always to see a movie in a theatre...the bigger the better. And projected on film.

Fortunately I live in a town that has at least 10 theatres that run repertory and old, classic film programs regularly. The American Cinematheque, the UCLA Film and Television Archive, the New Beverly(now co-programmed by Quentin Tarantino), LACMA, Cinefamily, Cinespia, the Nuart, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Alex Film Society, Last Remaining Seats, Heritage Museum, Film Noir Foundation, USC, and others.

If you love film, there is nothing like experiencing "Flesh and the Devil", "Bringing Up Baby", "Casablanca", "Public Enemy", and yes, "Penny Serenade" on a proper screen with an appreciative crowd. Part of the appeal of going to the movies, after all, is the communal aspect of sharing in the experience. Comedies are almost always funnier when seen with an audience laughing along with you.

That said, I like my fair share of new movies, too..."Beasts of the Southern Wild" and "Moonrise Kingdom" being two favourites from this year...and so I also go out to see new movies that I am intetested in seeing. I want to see the film as the director intended...on a big screen, not on YouTube.

That goes for old black-and-white movies as well as the latest Pixar, Batman or Quentin Tarantino film. I have too much respect for the work that goes into set design, construction, lighting, cinematography, costuming, music scoring, etc., to want to squander that by watching on some tiny screen.

Ok, I can hear some of you asking "what if I live in a small town?" Well, granted your movie-going options may be limited of you live in a one theatre town. But most places, no matter how small, have a college and/or library tlthat run classic film programs, or if not, you can get together and form your own film geek club.

It in no way matches the experience of watching a movie at a cinema but I'm not opposed at all to watching movies on my computer from YouTube, PBS, Hulu or any of the major networks. It's far from some state of the art monitor but my Apple Cinema display gets the job done just fine, at least for now.

Here in Raleigh there is no shortage of multiplexes but we also have a couple of old school theatres in the Rialto and the Colony. Both of which show off the beaten path films such as Moonrise Kingdom and Beasts of the Southern Wild. The Colony has also been having a music film night on Thursdays this summer where they've hosted screenings of High Infidelity and The Last Waltz. Earlier this summer, I also caught the new Marley: The Movie documentary there. Durham also has the Carolina Theatre which is much more "old school" than either the Rialto or the Colony. That's where the Full Frame Documentary Festival is held ever year. I didn't make it this year but I did go a couple of years ago to see a documentary called Do It Again: One Man's Quest To Reunite the Kinks.

I love old movies, its a window into our past...

This is true...

I'm all about the classics too. My favorites are the old time comedies and horror movies since I feel like those two genres have taken the biggest nose dive over the years. Great idea for a thread.

I love old comedy. Especially silents. They had to work to make you laugh and master their craft. I love Lon Cheney films. I'm really glad you approve of the thread, DAS. I look forward to your contribution of picks of your own! I really love to talk about these films.

In fact, I LOVE and respect the classics so much that one thing I won't do is watch a movie on YouTube or a iPhone or iPad. A decent sized TV screen is the bare minimum I will accept. But my first choice is always to see a movie in a theatre...the bigger the better. And projected on film.

Would you like some popcorn with that? Candy bar? A box of Junior mints? :popcorn2:

It in no way matches the experience of watching a movie at a cinema but I'm not opposed at all to watching movies on my computer from YouTube, PBS, Hulu or any of the major networks. It's far from some state of the art monitor but my Apple Cinema display gets the job done just fine, at least for now.

It's the age of instant gratification. And how convenient and thrifty for those who've never seen these films!

So has anyone actually watched Penny Serenade? What's your take on the film? How do you rate it? :munchies:

That's awesome Zepscoda. I haven't seen this one before. I read the storyline from IMBD.com

Wisbourg, Germany based estate agent Knock dispatches his associate, Hutter, to Count Orlok's castle in Transylvania as the Count wants to purchase a isolated house in Wisbourg. They plan on selling him the one across the way from Hutter's own home. Hutter leaves his innocent wife, Ellen, with some friends while he is away. Hutter's trek is an unusual one, with many locals not wanting to take him near the castle where strange events have been occurring. Once at the castle, Hutter does manage to sell the Count the house, but he also notices and feels unusual occurrences, primarily feeling like there is a dark shadow hanging over him, even in the daytime when the Count is unusually asleep. Hutter eventually sees the Count's sleeping chamber in a crypt, and based on a book he has recently read, believes the Count is really a vampire or Nosferatu. While Hutter is trapped in the castle...

I'm going to watch this one. Found it on Youtube as well. :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention, with DirecTV HD satellite and a wireless router l am capable of watching Youtube on my 1080P HD Bravia. I just recently discovered full length films on Youtube. In order to see these classics, I'm willing to settle for that. ;)

Would you like some popcorn with that? Candy bar? A box of Junior mints? :popcorn2:

So has anyone actually watched Penny Serenade? What's your take on the film? How do you rate it? :munchies:

No popcorn please...and no Junior Mints. I usually bring peanut butter M & Ms, or a bar of good German, Swiss or Belgian chocolate...Lindt, for instance. Haribo Gummi Bears are nice, too. Or if I feel like something lighter, I'll bring some fresh grapes or berries.

Re "Penny Serenade": I've seen it at least 4 or 5 times in the theatres, usually as part of a Cary Grant or Irene Dunne retrospective. Add another 10 or so times watching all or part of it on television or dvd, usually with a girl weeping along.

It is a good old sentimental weeper, and it definitely has its charms...not least those of Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. Definitely one to watch when you're down and in the mood for a good cry...you'll need a box of tissues.

But Cary Grant and Irene Dunne set the bar so high with their sizzling on-screen chemistry, that I rank "Penny Serenade" below the other two films they did together, "The Awful Truth" and "My Favorite Wife"

And counting all the great films Cary Grant did in that amazing stretch from 1937 to 1941, I would put "Penny Serenade" near the bottom, below

"Topper"

"The Awful Truth"

"Bringing Up Baby"

"Holiday"

"Gunga Din"

"His Girl Friday"

"The Philadelphia Story"

"My Favorite Wife"

"Suspicion"

"Penny Serenade" is probably somewhere around the level of "Only Angels Have Wings" and "The Bishop's Wife" in my personal list of Cary Grant films. Which is still a pretty good place to be.

Meanwhile, today is the 50th anniversary of the death of MM. NO, Rick, not that MM...Marilyn Monroe.

Just coming from paying my respects at her resting place...it was a zoo, as usual.

post-1470-0-01756400-1344210853_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-70386400-1344210894_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-91830900-1344210947_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-13535900-1344211009_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-96169400-1344211047_thumb.jp

That screenshot is great zepscoda and great thread betteremily.

Too many wonderful films to mention. Some favorites - Hitchcock movies, movies starring the Hepburns, James Stewart, Montgomery Clift, Henry Fonda and of course Gregory Peck.

No popcorn please...and no Junior Mints. I usually bring peanut butter M & Ms, or a bar of good German, Swiss or Belgian chocolate...Lindt, for instance. Haribo Gummi Bears are nice, too. Or if I feel like something lighter, I'll bring some fresh grapes or berries.

Yum, I'd sit next to you and bring the Ritter Sport!

Re "Penny Serenade": I've seen it at least 4 or 5 times in the theatres, usually as part of a Cary Grant or Irene Dunne retrospective. Add another 10 or so times watching all or part of it on television or dvd, usually with a girl weeping along.

How could we not?! :baby:

But Cary Grant and Irene Dunne set the bar so high with their sizzling on-screen chemistry, that I rank "Penny Serenade" below the other two films they did together, "The Awful Truth" and "My Favorite Wife"

I absolutely adore "My Favorite Wife". "Be-ayn-ka!" Hah!

And counting all the great films Cary Grant did in that amazing stretch from 1937 to 1941, I would put "Penny Serenade" near the bottom, below

"Topper"

"The Awful Truth"

"Bringing Up Baby"

"Holiday"

"Gunga Din"

"His Girl Friday"

"The Philadelphia Story"

"My Favorite Wife"

"Suspicion"

"Penny Serenade" is probably somewhere around the level of "Only Angels Have Wings" and "The Bishop's Wife" in my personal list of Cary Grant films. Which is still a pretty good place to be.

"Topper" is definately another great Cary Grant film. I also love "Mr. Blandings builds his Dream House" along side Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas. Another rare gem is "Room for One More" with Betsy Drake.

That woman. Everyone tries, but they'll never compare. It takes a lot of misery to truly capture Marilyn.

Love AMC and Robert Osbourne. I am looking to buy a collection of the old Laurel and Hardy movies this year. If I can find them.

That's TCM and Robert Osborne. Robert never was on AMC. Before Turner Classic Movies, he was on The Movie Channel.

AMC used to be like TCM is now...the key word being 'used'. American Movie Classics was its full nomenclature and they aired movies uncut, no pan-and-scan, and NO commercial interruptions. But corporate buyouts and competition from TCM reduced AMC to a shell of its former self.

Now it is best for watching shows like "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men". But it has no respect for the movies and you should watch TCM instead for classic movies aired properly. Or rent the movie on dvd or netflix.

That's TCM and Robert Osborne. Robert never was on AMC. Before Turner Classic Movies, he was on The Movie Channel.

AMC used to be like TCM is now...the key word being 'used'. American Movie Classics was its full nomenclature and they aired movies uncut, no pan-and-scan, and NO commercial interruptions. But corporate buyouts and competition from TCM reduced AMC to a shell of its former self.

Now it is best for watching shows like "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men". But it has no respect for the movies and you should watch TCM instead for classic movies aired properly. Or rent the movie on dvd or netflix.

Thanks for setting me straight on that Strider. Anyway, you get the point. Big error on my part. I love TCM

Yum, I'd sit next to you and bring the Ritter Sport!

How could we not?! :baby:

I also love "Mr. Blandings builds his Dream House" along side Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas.

RITTER SPORT! YES! Bring the Hazelnut and the Corn Flake and the Chocolate covered Biscuit ones!

Truth be told, I was frequently weeping along with my girlfriend watching "Penny Serenade".

Myrna Loy = :drool::wub:

"The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" is another Grant-Loy charmer.

As i have said before, in the old days, one had to know how to actually act. They could not rely on technologicaly anhanced gimmicks to entertain the public. Special effects did not exist. So you had to truly be a good actor or actress to make it a succesfull film. Many films in the past twenty years or so have sold big but certainly cannot be considered great films based on that alone.

I love old movies. I love Hitchcock, old horror films, Bogart movies, John Wayne movies, etc. etc. One thing I really like is the dialogue. Some of those films had a lot of fast, snappy dialogue that would just leave me howling. I'll take suspense and drama and imagination over explicit graphic gore.

Archived