Dazed & Confused on How the West Was Won Question

jb126

Can't figure this one out. This forum, google and brain searches have failed me.

Can anyone tell me what song is played just before the 20 minute mark, and lasts about 10-15 seconds, during "Dazed and Confused" on How the West Was Won?

Thanks.

It's not a part of a song; it's just a transition from one part of Dazed to another, that they did live but not on the studio version.

If memory serves, this instrumental transition appeared in some form on some of Zep's earliest live performances of Dazed - and it might even have appeared (in truncated form) on Page's performances of the track back in '68 with the Yardbirds.

Should have done this first....same piece at 23:01.

....never heard that being part of any original song, it's all part of the incorporated "jam" section. Zeppelin were a very spontaneous band (live). I'm certain that this piece of the arrangement was "worked" on many times before "getting it done" on stage-but sometimes things happened without intention. At some point early on, maybe that's how this came about.

It's an improvisation based on "Mars, the bringer of war" by Gustav Holst.

We have a winner...congratulations reswati!!!

The trainspotters must have been away for the day, as this part has been referred to as the Mars section for at least since the first Luis Rey book was published. It's also listed on ledzeppelinreference.com.

I did look/listen there ( ledzeppelinreference.com) at one point, but it did not sound the same to me. I knew someone would have the answer. To be honest, I thought it might a piece of a Black Sabbath song. :blush:

• 6 years later...

Archived