Led Zeppelin to receive Kennedy Center Honor

Janvier

This is probably a stupid question but maybe someone who knows a lot about the Kennedy Center Honors will know... Besides Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page will they bring guests with them and do the guests sit with them in the box? I'm just trying to figure out if we'll be seeing the remaining Led Zeppelin members as well as their offspring all together...and trying not to have my mind blown in the process. So is there a guest limit? Any ideas on who else might be with them? And is there still a pretty good chance of Jason joining them in the box in spite of John not being honored?

I don't have the answer to your questions but from what I understand, it's Led Zeppelin that's being honored. Since Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page are the only surviving members it doesn't mean that John Bonham is somehow getting the shaft.

I thought of a couple more possibilities I would find interesting Americana singer-songwriter Gillian Welch/guitarist David Rawlings JPJ has played with them, Sting (FoolInTheRain)- he has played the KC Honors before.

Your first suggestion is cool but dear God, no Der Stingle. Ugh!

Please, no Sammy Haggar, Steve Tyler, or any other 'classic rock' has-been, either.

This is probably a stupid question but maybe someone who knows a lot about the Kennedy Center Honors will know... Besides Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page will they bring guests with them and do the guests sit with them in the box? I'm just trying to figure out if we'll be seeing the remaining Led Zeppelin members as well as their offspring all together...and trying not to have my mind blown in the process. So is there a guest limit? Any ideas on who else might be with them? And is there still a pretty good chance of Jason joining them in the box in spite of John not being honored?

The ONLY people that will be in their box are the other people that received the Medal from the President earlier that day. Kind of like when the Olympians receive their medals, there are no family members joining them on the platform. Neither Jason or his father is receiving an honor, unlike a Hall of Fame event, where you can be inducted posthumouosly. But, in a roundabout way, Led Zeppelin is being honored, which John was in integral part.

When Oprah received her honor, I do not remember seeing her husband sitting with her in the box. He was likely in the audience. But let me know if you know otherwise...

Thanks for the answers. I just honestly have no idea how this all works. I know there's a dinner beforehand at some point but I am clueless on the rest. I'm going to hold out hope of Zeppelin offspring in the audience and maybe someone will snap a picture of them all later though :) I know there hasn't been confirmation, but I had heard that they aren't given the official nomination unless the people have agreed to attend and that's why Paul McCartney's was pushed forward after he couldn't make it the first time they wanted to due to a wedding situation or something. Anyway, it would be cool to see them together

There's been no confirmation that any of them will attend as far as I'm aware.

It appears that if they choose not to attend, the honor is withdrawn for that year. Previous posts confirm the "unwritten rules" and some examples. Here is one of those links - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/arts/12honors.html

But yes you're right - so far the only public response is their acknowledgement of the honor. (Unless, you happen to run across YouTube comments under LZ clips which indicate their intent to attend noted 2 weeks in advance of the announcement.)

Thanks for the answers. I just honestly have no idea how this all works. I know there's a dinner beforehand at some point but I am clueless on the rest. I but I had heard that they aren't given the official nomination unless the people have agreed to attend ..

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/ has details of the event.

Some of you Condi Rice fans may be pleased to know that she is a member of the Board of Trustees along with others appointed by both Obama and W who serve for 6-year terms.

When Oprah received her honor, I do not remember seeing her husband sitting with her in the box. He was likely in the audience. But let me know if you know otherwise...

http://www.kennedy-c...levents/honors/ has details of the event.

Some of you Condi Rice fans may be pleased to know that she is a member of the Board of Trustees along with others appointed by both Obama and W who serve for 6-year terms.

Thanks again for the responses. It looks like Steadman (sp?) was in the box behind Oprah, at least I believe that is him in the videos from the link, so I guess there is a chance. This is very exciting.

Are you suggesting Sting should cover "Fool In the Rain"? I'm not sure I get your gist and am just trying to understand.

Well, that was one of my suggestions . I think Sting could put an interesting twist on FITR, I see there's some who don't feel the same way, that's cool . Im just having fun thinking about it all. I guess seeing Sting in one of the other musical tributes got me thinking about his voice . with him being a world-famous musician who would have broad appeal I thought the KC might reach out to him , as they did before (I don't recall right now which tribute Sting sang participated in )

I had a lot of ideas and brainstorming going through my head after hearing the news and viewing honoree's The Who and Paul McCartney's musical tributes from my earlier post . I also checked out parts of the tributes to Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen , Eldon John. There was an interesting variety of artists participating in the tributes. Sometimes artists I would associate with the honoree and other times artists I would not have associated with the honoree.

Anyway, there are lots and lots of talented artists out there. I am looking forward to a tasteful, dynamic tribute that for me hopefully represents the full spectrum of Zeppelin. I'm also reminded that the musicians in the National Symphony Orchestra of the Kennedy Center are absolutely world-class so maybe they will get involved as well ?

... who knows.... I think I'm gonna just take a wait-and-see attitude and it's all good news . I'm not going to be critical of any of the tributes.... that's not my intention, I got very excited about the news and started having fun brainstorming ...this a celebration

Peace

This came to me in a dream last night...here's who I would like to see perform the Led Zeppelin tributes at the Kennedy Center Honors as each artist represents a facet of Led Zeppelin's sound.

1. Prince

2. Jane's Addiction

3. Sigur Rós

4. Tool

5. Espers

6. Alabama Shakes

Or how about an all-woman edition to honour the feminine energy Led Zeppelin had along with the macho swagger?

1. Joni Mitchell

2. Heart

3. Tori Amos

4. Bettye LaVette

5. Joan Jett

6. Alison Krause and Patty Griffin.

I was just catching up on yesterday's USA TODAY paper and saw a picture of Jimmy on the cover page of the LIFE section D!

It was a quote by Jimmy about the Kennedy Center Honors:

"Of course, what an honor! We're all going... This is a real thrill. Boy, oh boy, it is a thrill. I know this is a big deal... I only recently heard about this, but what I did know is that it is a really big thing, and it is a great honor."

It went on to say that all three will attend.

I liked the picture of Jimmy. Looked like one from the recent DVD press conference?

If someone on here can find the link and post it, I would appreciate it. My IPad is giving me problems with javascrip

This came to me in a dream last night...here's who I would like to see perform the Led Zeppelin tributes at the Kennedy Center Honors as each artist represents a facet of Led Zeppelin's sound.

1. Prince

2. Jane's Addiction

3. Sigur Rós

4. Tool

5. Espers

6. Alabama Shakes

Or how about an all-woman edition to honour the feminine energy Led Zeppelin had along with the macho swagger?

1. Joni Mitchell

2. Heart

3. Tori Amos

4. Bettye LaVette

5. Joan Jett

6. Alison Krause and Patty Griffin.

This is an impressive and incredibly detailed dream to have .. Dream? I'd call it a Vision...

Whatever, these are really cool suggestions: I'd love to see them all !

Really love the idea of the feminine energy tribute : there is something in that for sure, and it's excitingly counter-intuitive as they are so SO male *takes deep breath* .. and yet ...

I was just catching up on yesterday's USA TODAY paper and saw a picture of Jimmy on the cover page of the LIFE section D!

It was a quote by Jimmy about the Kennedy Center Honors:

"Of course, what an honor! We're all going... This is a real thrill. Boy, oh boy, it is a thrill. I know this is a big deal... I only recently heard about this, but what I did know is that it is a really big thing, and it is a great honor."

It went on to say that all three will attend.

BUCK'EYE' DOC, thank you so much!

post-19355-0-40654100-1348724298_thumb.j

(just hope the text is legible)

• 1 month later...

Archived