Zep at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame..

Wolfman

I went to Cleveland this weekend. The R&R Hall of Fame is amazing. You cannot take pictures inside but they have so many cool items. I never saw so many 1959 Les Pauls up close. All the greats have items in there (Stones, Elvis, Beatles, Hendrix, The Who, Beatles, etc.) There was not a lot of Zep items though other than the press release of when they signed with Atlantic, some cool photos (esp. one with Jimmy jamming with Les Paul) and JPJ's "onion" coat and the bass he used in 79/80 (and part of the Presence recordings). I never realized he used double strings (one thick and one thin) for each "string". I asked why there wasn't more and was told they like to move things around. They just put a lot of the Zeppelin items away in storage. The featured artists this month were the Dead. I also noticed they faked a Jimmy signature. They have a wall of signatures. They Zep one was his real one. The Yardbirds one looked nothing like it. Too funny. I could have spent weeks in this place. This is one of the first things you see when you walk in:

zep.jpg

I have never been to the museum. Is it worth a trip to Cleveland?

I think Jimmy signed his name differently while he was in the Yardbirds. He still write out his full name rather than the odd but very cool looking scrawl that he uses now.

I'm not sure it would be worth going there just for that, but being a rock freak, it was worth it for me. Just so much to see.

I've never been either but the topic made me think of this:

I've never seen Robert so happy or energetic on stage. I wonder why he didn't play guitar more often.

Coincidentally, I've been watching this video for the last two weeks straight- everyday. It's not the greatest performance, but the sheer rawness and honesty about it-is genuine. I love it. There is some info out there that I read regarding Neil Young's thoughts on the collaboration. Supposedly, he was so moved by the jam, he actually considered making an album with them (Zep) for a short period. He also sings a few lines about the experience in a song called "Downtown". Yes, I've been doing my homework on this..... :)

I went to Cleveland this weekend. The R&R Hall of Fame is amazing. You cannot take pictures inside but they have so many cool items. I never saw so many 1959 Les Pauls up close. All the greats have items in there (Stones, Elvis, Beatles, Hendrix, The Who, Beatles, etc.) There was not a lot of Zep items though other than the press release of when they signed with Atlantic, some cool photos (esp. one with Jimmy jamming with Les Paul) and JPJ's "onion" coat and the bass he used in 79/80 (and part of the Presence recordings). I never realized he used double strings (one thick and one thin) for each "string". I asked why there wasn't more and was told they like to move things around. They just put a lot of the Zeppelin items away in storage. The featured artists this month were the Dead. I also noticed they faked a Jimmy signature. They have a wall of signatures. They Zep one was his real one. The Yardbirds one looked nothing like it. Too funny. I could have spent weeks in this place. This is one of the first things you see when you walk in:

No question, one full day is not enough, I needed two, and could have easily gone back for a couple more days. I got lucky Zep wise on my trip there, as I was able to see Jimmy's black dragon suit and one of Bonzo's drum kits. Think Jonesy's onion jacket was there when I was there as well, as well as assorted Jimmy guitars.

Speaking of the HOF induction and the live set afterwards, has anyone ever captured on audio or video their opening number, Train Kept a Rolling? Still haven't heard that version which was the first song they played after their speech, which both Aerosmith guys played on as well, before Bring It on Home/Honey Bee.

I went back around 2006 or so when I was in the area for my nephew's wedding. Definitely not worth a trip up there just to visit the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame alone but if you find yourself in the area, I'd say it's certainly worth a visit. When I was there, the main exhibit was one on Dylan that was being presented by the Experience Music Project out Seattle that I thought was very well done. They also had some Beatles memorabilia on display such as handwritten lyrics and John Lennon's report card. A friend of mine said that when she was there a year or two earlier, they had a phone line in the Beatles section that Yoko Ono would sometimes call at random. I know she catches a lot of shit, as does the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame itself but I still think that's pretty fucking cool of her. When I was there we were allowed to photograph certain things, such as a few of Jerry Garcia's guitars that were on display on the bottom floor of the Museum.

Coincidentally, I've been watching this video for the last two weeks straight- everyday. It's not the greatest performance, but the sheer rawness and honesty about it-is genuine. I love it. ...\snip\

My thoughts are the same of this performance. Many many Zeppers HATE it, saying it has none of the powerful slow bluesy-ness of the original. True. But it is so raw and riffy and grungy, I love it too!

I love the Rock Hall! I have been there many times, not in the past year, though.

My favorite artifacts are the PAC 10 football players drawn by Jimi Hendrix when he was in school. They used to have an extensive Jimi Hendrix section. I don't know if it is still there, but I found it to be very insightful as to Jimi's character and personality.

Years ago, they had on display the drawing of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" made by Julian Lennon, from which John wrote the song. Also, they had some hand written letters from John to Julian, as well as hand written lyrics.

One year they had a special Doors exhibit on one of the top floors. It included Jim Morrison's death certificate and the letter sent to his father informing him of Jim's death. It was very haunting to me.

I also liked the ZZ Top display with the furry guitars and drums.

If you ever get the opportunity, I think that visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would be an enjoyable experience for any rock fan. Near to Cleveland is Cedar Point, the nation's number one amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. They have really fun Haunted weekends in the fall there. And in Canton, Ohio, which is not too far from Cleveland, there is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Cleveland also has a great museum complex at University Circle, which includes a nice art museum. There are a lot of entertainment venues in Cleveland, such as The House of Blues, The Playhouse Theatre complex, as well as the Browns, Cavaliers, and indians stadia. There also is a very nice science museum near the Rock Hall. And no trip to Cleveland would be complete without a boat ride on Lake Erie. So there is lots to do.

Several years ago we were at a conference in Cincinnati and took a few days after to wander around in Ohio. Number one on the list for me was a pilgrimage to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

We really enjoyed it and I recommend it. We liked the Air Force Museum in Dayton too.

Perhaps because there were other guitarists in the band(s).

I remember hearing an interview where he said he didn't play guitar in Led Zeppelin because he already had one of the greatest players in the world. So I understand that. But still, if playing guitar makes you happy who cares? Play away. What I actually had in mind was post-Zeppelin. I haven't seen him on stage or in studio playing a guitar during his solo career. I'm sure the guys he hired could probably out play him but back to my original argument, if it makes you happy why not?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

I protest that Zeppelin's "Signature" etching in Cleveland is only half the size of most other 4-member bands' Signature etchings!!!!

(IE: R.E.M., The Lovin' Spoonful, The Mamas and The Papas, Gladys Knight & The Pips, The Doors, The Four Tops, The Four Seasons, The Kinks).

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ann-wilson-and-jerry-cantrell-pay-tribute-to-chris-cornell-at-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

IMG_0582.jpg?w=980&q=75

signaturewall-hof_30.jpg?itok=eMaD3J6c

1 hour ago, badgeholder said:

Looks like the bigger ones all have more than four signatures

Yes, they do.... in that pane. But there are many more panes representing each year's inductees. If you look at those other panes, you'll see what I'm talking about.

But you'll have to go and look...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ann-wilson-and-jerry-cantrell-pay-tribute-to-chris-cornell-at-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

Archived