BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Well, Chef Free, I'm glad I already had dinner as all this would make me hungry and still does but limited!  You're quite "The King" of the BBQ out in Cali.  Too bad I'm out in CT as I'd go in a heartbeat to experience your amazing BBQ!!!!  You do well,  Just by observing and unfortunately haven't been able to indulge on this! :ohmy:  Hope to one day.  I'll be in Vegas in October, so that's closer! :standup_bass:

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool looking coffee and love the look of the foam.  The taste is probably quite good.  Give some info on this on how it's made and what is in it!  Never had this type of coffee.  Is it similar to espresso?

17 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Very cool looking coffee and love the look of the foam.  The taste is probably quite good.  Give some info on this on how it's made and what is in it!  Never had this type of coffee.  Is it similar to espresso?

It's different to espresso.

The taste of this Greek/Turkish coffee is delicious. And it's still handmade, not made by a coffee/espresso machine. Maybe that's the reason you get an espresso in every Greek restaurant but not a Greek coffee :blink:

"To make this thick brew, coffee beans are roasted and very finely ground. Then the coffee, sugar and water are mixed in a special tiny aluminum or copper pot called a briki and prepared over low heat. The amount of sugar used is according to taste and it must be added at the beginning (not after brewing, as with other types of coffee). You can order your coffee prepared one of four ways: sketos (plain – no sugar), me oligi (a little sugar, i.e. half a teaspoon), metrios (equal amounts coffee and sugar) or glykos (very sweet – more sugar than coffee). "

I like the thick brew and the full taste of coffee beans. I drink all other kinds of coffees and teas black, without sugar, but I like the combination of the strong coffee taste combined with the sweetness of sugar in the metrios version.

And the best thing about this coffee is, that you don't get it everywhere. It's rare. It's special. If a restaurant serves it, it always comes in a good quality.

23 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

It's different to espresso.

The taste of this Greek/Turkish coffee is delicious. And it's still handmade, not made by a coffee/espresso machine. Maybe that's the reason you get an espresso in every Greek restaurant but not a Greek coffee :blink:

"To make this thick brew, coffee beans are roasted and very finely ground. Then the coffee, sugar and water are mixed in a special tiny aluminum or copper pot called a briki and prepared over low heat. The amount of sugar used is according to taste and it must be added at the beginning (not after brewing, as with other types of coffee). You can order your coffee prepared one of four ways: sketos (plain – no sugar), me oligi (a little sugar, i.e. half a teaspoon), metrios (equal amounts coffee and sugar) or glykos (very sweet – more sugar than coffee). "

I like the thick brew and the full taste of coffee beans. I drink all other kinds of coffees and teas black, without sugar, but I like the combination of the strong coffee taste combined with the sweetness of sugar in the metrios version.

And the best thing about this coffee is, that you don't get it everywhere. It's rare. It's special. If a restaurant serves it, it always comes in a good quality.

Very cool and thanks for the great detailed info!

Today we are going to have a Portuguese inspired dinner, accompanied by Vinho verde

Codfish Fritters with a huge salad
Sardines on bread rolls (the fresh bread smells fantastic)
Went to the Portugese bakery this morning scoring the bread and a pastry variation:
Pasteis.thumb.jpg.6d653ec7196007f2de2509e8dcd49e65.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Strider said:

Lamb shank with rosemary and mint, Spanish Malbec, cheesecake.

20180519_203553.thumb.jpg.ceddc6d71071298b29b0bba40b6de203.jpg

20180519_205449.thumb.jpg.f7ab0856313aad656541cb460262945e.jpg

Quality dinner right there man. Lamb shank, ooo errr missus. My favourite. Just a pity Mrs CP isn't keen. I have tried and tried but she says it's too fatty. I have an excellent recipe for an Indian curry using a LS. I assume that's mash under the Larry?

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Quality dinner right there man. Lamb shank, ooo errr missus. My favourite. Just a pity Mrs CP isn't keen. I have tried and tried but she says it's too fatty. I have an excellent recipe for an Indian curry using a LS. I assume that's mash under the Larry?

Yep. That's mash potatoes.

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

How did I miss that? Spanish Malbec. I never knew the Spanish grew that grape. What was it like and which region was it from?

I forgot to take note...and I may be in error. It may have actually been Argentina and I just misremembered it as Spain. When I go back I'll check.

18 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Nice job Strider.  The sauce looks decadent! Did you make the cheesecake as well or bakery bought?

Didn't make any of it...I was at a restaurant in Pasadena.

A gas station convenience store sandwich, and not the nasty kind. The cheese is a little crumbly but it tastes like cheese. The turkey tastes like turkey and the oat seed bread is superb quality. Good sandwich. I actually finished eating it 20 minutes ago, now I'm going to start my dessert, Chips Ahoy brownie filled soft cookies. Yum.