BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

On 7/30/2018 at 6:12 PM, Strider said:

That's definitely not your standard American McDonald's fare. No cheesy rice bowl here. But no ribbing from me.

The best McDonald's I ever had was the McDonald's in Nürnberg, Germany in the early '80s. This was when globalization was in its infancy and Europe wasn't overrun with McDonald's, Starbucks, 7-11s, Pizza Huts, Burger Kings, KFCs the way they are now. Back then, McDonald's was about the only American thing you would see outside an Army base.

But the McDonald's would be tailored to the regional tastes. So the Nürnberg Mickey Ds had German beer and their pommes frites (french fries) came with mayonnaise and a little pitchfork! 😮

That was my first exposure to the wonderful combination of dipping fries in mayo. Of course, when I went to Belgium I discovered many more flavour combinations for pommes frites.

I've always dipped my fries in BBQ Sauce.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:32 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

You guys are spot on! This cheesy rice bowl is exclusively for McDonald's India. Apart from burgers, the outlets here actually have a good selection. Strider, it is very interesting how these big chain restaurants vary their menus so much by country. Here we have something called a Maharaja Mac! 

image.thumb.png.e5a8eab81abaf92c781cb6a996b431ae.png

Three New Menu Items To Try At McDonald’s EOTF 

veggies and cheese rice bowl veg chicken

Ten years back, if someone said McDonald’s has salads, all eyebrows would have raised in unison. Why on earth would a successful burger chain even consider to think in that direction? But then, the restaurant goers changed or diversified their preferences over the years; soon they started looking for food that was green and wholesome. So as well as the burgers they are known for, McDonald’s began to come up with a lot more options for everyone to try. Let’s dive right in to see what’s new at McDonald’s EOTF that is healthy and different.

Rice Bowls: 

bean and gravy rice bowl veg chicken

If you like rice then you are going to love these. And you will be spoilt for choice. Your options are the veggies and cheese rice and beans and gravy rice. Both come with an add-on option of spicy chicken or plain veg. So it all comes down to just one question- which one will you pick?

Whole Wheat Wraps: 

whaet big spicy paneer wrap

Apart from a fresh and crunchy green salad wrap that debuts on the menu at your nearest EOTF store, you can get the whole array of the existing wraps in whole-wheat tortillas! So you won’t have to choose between what’s yummy and what’s healthy!

Green Salads: 
salad green veggies mcdonalds

Salads were first introduced by McDonald’s in 2005. In India, the launch happened along with EOTF in 2017. The simple, but flavourful and filling salad comes in both chicken and vegetarian options. So go ahead, take your pick from the EOTF exclusive menu items to believe it for yourself.

Read more at: http://mcdonaldsblog.in/2018/02/three-new-menu-items-to-try-at-mcdonalds-eotf/

😮

Pork chops were $0.99/lb. at the store last night.  I got 10 chops for $6! I seasoned them with basil, sage, thyme, garlic, onion and brown sugar then slow smoked them at about 220F for two hours over a cherry wood fire. 

Best pork chops I've ever tasted! So this is what pork is supposed to be like, tender...

Eating healthy now. Apparently the "whatever I want, whenever I want in the quantity I want" is no longer sustainable. Whodathunkit?!?!?

I'm now getting used to things like Low GI, heart friendly, low this, low that.....

So far it's not too bad actually.

18 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

I've always dipped my fries in BBQ Sauce.

I usually don’t dip my fries in anything, but if I’m eating bbq I do - especially crinkle cut fries in bbq baked beans...amazing!! 😋

8 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Eating healthy now. Apparently the "whatever I want, whenever I want in the quantity I want" is no longer sustainable. Whodathunkit?!?!?

I'm now getting used to things like Low GI, heart friendly, low this, low that.....

So far it's not too bad actually.

Yeah I typically cook with low sodium foods or no salt added, then lightly season it as I go. Not bad at all! Plus use ground turkey and chicken sausage instead of beef, etc. Much leaner with much of the taste intact.  ✌🏼

We have these Panda Express Chinese Kitchens out here. Their chow mein is just basically noodles with onions and that sucks, and their fried rice is bland and that also sucks. It ruins their main entrees, which are actually great. So screw Panda Express because of that.

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 2:24 AM, LedZed66 said:

We went to a new Chinese noodle soup restaurant and I liked it very much, but Mr. LedZed not. That's a pitty

That soup looks fabulous.  I'd just leave Mr. LedZed home... ;) 

On 8/30/2018 at 7:45 PM, Strider said:

Have you tried Vietnamese Pho?

No, I haven't. Vietnamese cuisine isn't my favorite because they use a lot of cilantro/fresh coriander leaves. One of the few things I can't stand. But there are a lot of new Vietnamese restaurants maybe I should give the Pho a try.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:57 AM, ebk said:

That soup looks fabulous.  I'd just leave Mr. LedZed home... ;) 

The soup stock was of very high quality, freshly cooked and delicious. I won't give up this fabulous discovery so I have to leave Mr. L. at home. Soup or sweetheart - that's the question :unsure:

Veg Hakka Noodles and Lemongrass Vegetables doused in a Cilantro sauce. 

That was one of the worst meals I had, off late! The Hakka noodles were beautifully cooked but the Cilantro sauce was horrible and spoiled the entire experience for me, tonight! Correct me if I am wrong but lemon is supposed to be just one of many ingredients in a Cilantro sauce. There are other elements (or at least I thought there were!) like olive oil, jalapeno and garlic!!! It was like tasting a liquid version of lemon flavoured hand sanitizer, generously dribbled on what could have been such a beautiful group of veggies (consisting of belle peppers, broccoli and mushrooms, to name a few!!). 

Never Again!

To think, people actually rate this restaurant so highly! Lesson learnt: while ordering take out on a Saturday night, stick to what you know. Don't experiment. 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

23 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Veg Hakka Noodles and Lemongrass Vegetables doused in a Cilantro sauce. 

That was one of the worst meals I had, off late! The Hakka noodles were beautifully cooked but the Cilantro sauce was horrible and spoiled the entire experience for me, tonight! Correct me if I am wrong but lemon is supposed to be just one of many ingredients in a Cilantro sauce. There are other elements (or at least I thought there were!) like olive oil, jalapeno and garlic!!! It was like tasting a liquid version of lemon flavoured hand sanitizer, generously dribbled on what could have been such a beautiful group of veggies (consisting of belle peppers, broccoli and mushrooms, to name a few!!). 

Never Again!

To think, people actually rate this restaurant so highly! Lesson learnt: while ordering take out on a Saturday night, stick to what you know. Don't experiment. 

The noodles sound delicious. I love all different types of Asian noodles. In a soup or fried. Yummy.
Because I don't like cilantro I think I'd prefer the lemon flavoured hand sanitizer :D