O2 was a defining moment for this site and brought members together

Looking back at O2 and the excitement that it generated, and that crazy ticket lottery. Wow was that a special time here. We were all waiting for that email that you had a better chance of winning your state lottery than getting. O2 brought alot of people together. Alot of old Zeppelin faithfull like myeself and the Led Zeppelin world came together here, on this site, and it was exciting for sure. I will never forget that night getting the feeds from London. Just imagining what it must have been like. But it brought me back to memories of 77 when I got to see them 20 feet in front of me walk out in single file, a moment I will always cherish. This site is still strong to this day, I think much in part to O2 and the rejuvination it created. What a night it was. Many have come and gone since then. Names have changed, my own included. I was Icantquityoubabe that fatefull night. After countless bannings and different names I am still here as Papillion once said. And so are you to tell your stories. Those that are gone are not forgotten.

I agree LZF77 - some might argue but I'd even say the defining moment. Personally I found the forum as soon as the O2 show was announced and was an obsessed lurker until Dec 6 when I unexpectedly received a passcode in the late allocation I rapidy joined to share my joy and ultimately experience.

The flurry of online activity in the months before and following the show was incredibly intense and exciting. Of course it was Led Zeppelin's only show where online speculation and contemporaneous reporting was possible.

It's only with the official recording release of this same show that the flurry of speculation, expectation and excitement has again exploded. As of today, on this forum, since the Facebook "hello" there have been 97 pages of threads on the countdown, DVD/CD and movie.

i met a lot of fine people at the 02 gig.everyone lucky to get there was in a very friendly

mood.i even met howard mylett...

yes i agree that the gigs brought zepmen together.

while it is not cetain how zep will continue i think there ought to be meetings or parties

like the 02 just to bring the same people and energy together.maybe once in a year.

but maybe there are aniversaries-parties that i don´t know by now.

Well as far as I remember the details, "this site" was only brought into existence a very short time before the O2 gig was anounced precisely so that there would be an "official" site for the increased traffic that was expected to be generated by that anouncement.

Prior to that the old Electric Magic site, run by Sam, but an "unofficial" site, was in many ways the template for this place. Sure there are aspects to this site that weren't on EM, but I think lots of people from back then saw this place as in many ways a continuation of the old site. There was a break, to separate the "unofficial" site from the "official" one, but it just felt like moving house rather than starting something completely new.

At least, that's how I remember things being perceived, and if Sam has a different take (which he very well may do, being the man on the inside) then I meant no offence at all.

So to answer the thread title: IMHOthe O2 wasn't just a "defining moment" for this site, it was the reason it existed at all.

This site certainly helped me to have a defining moment as not getting lucky with the lottery I managed to bag a spare ticket from another member(hi Alvaro,still ever so grateful here :D ).I was going up to the gig anyway in the hope i could somehow get in,the postponement helped too.Can't wait for the dvd now to relive it all over again

i met a lot of fine people at the 02 gig.everyone lucky to get there was in a very friendly

mood.i even met howard mylett...

yes i agree that the gigs brought zepmen together.

while it is not cetain how zep will continue i think there ought to be meetings or parties

like the 02 just to bring the same people and energy together.maybe once in a year.

but maybe there are aniversaries-parties that i don´t know by now.

Very good idea but probably very tough to pull off geographically, financially, etc? Unless there were some planned Led Zeppelin event. Some type of ceremony to honor them? The rock and roll hall of fame to me is a joke. I know people that have gone and I did not hear that Led Zeppelin has officially been inducted? To me this is a damn joke. The greatest band of all time, hands down. Some of the bands that get in do not even deserve to. None of them are in the same league as LZ.

Well lets hope someday there perhaps could be a few parties pulled off at the same time, and with the great technology we have, we could sort of join them via internet and video? That would be an idea.

The rock and roll hall of fame to me is a joke. I know people that have gone and I did not hear that Led Zeppelin has officially been inducted?

LZF77, Led Zeppelin was inducted in the R and R HOF in 1995, when they first met eligibility requirements, as it should be.

I do agree with you that there are other bands like YES, The Moody Blues, and Genesis for example that haven't been inducted and certainly should imo.

On Topic, it's great that the O2 show helped to create this site. I visited a few other music sites when I first got my computer a couple years ago..... but none have the community feel of this site. And no other site officially represents the greatest Rock Band in the World. Yes, think I'll be here awhile! :) Missy

LZF77, Led Zeppelin was inducted in the R and R HOF in 1995, when they first met eligibility requirements, as it should be.

I do agree with you that there are other bands like YES, The Moody Blues, and Genesis for example that haven't been inducted and certainly should imo.

On Topic, it's great that the O2 show helped to create this site. I visited a few other music sites when I first got my computer a couple years ago..... but none have the community feel of this site. And no other site officially represents the greatest Rock Band in the World. Yes, think I'll be here awhile! :) Missy

Not to mention what a fabulous job they did on the discography and the timeline and all. Fabulous

The 02 show was my first time leaving the states other than an occasional cruise....

The show did indeed bring fans together from all walks of life....many many countries and

established a comeraderie between Zeppelin Fans online and in person.

Thank you to Sam for running such an incredibly awesome website and giving us all a place

to unite and reunite.....

Lastly I have to add that we did have an anniversary party of the show in Toronto on the first year.....

nothing since but who knows.....maybe someone will put something together this year!

Rock On!!!!

agree about genesis and yes.But it is always a thing what they want to claim.

if you visit the hard-!-rock cafe in vegas you see michael jackson-king of pop- being the headliner! that is real fun.

I agree, seems like the Zeppelin excitement had dwindled by the wayside up until the 02 announcement. Then suddenly things happened in a whirlwind and the Mighty Zeppelin lifted and took off again. I never saw them, had a chance in 1980 but Bonzo's death took care of that. My love for the band never waned, and then 27 years later the excitement returned. And now 5 years later I anxiously await the "Celebration Day" on the 17th. Sure a new tour would be awesome, but at this point, it's probably better to remember "what was and will ALWAYS be"!!

I visited the forum a long time before joining and yes it was the O2 show and the excitement relating to it that brought me on board.

I took a break for a while to work on some things and am back to enjoy the Celebration Day release and whatever follows...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived