Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

Ya'all are lucky that you get to see the movie on the big screen, I live in a city of about 300.000 and well for some reason am unable to get to experience this unique movie on the big screen. Funny that Zeppelin came here in 1968 and played at Gonzaga University, before the release of their first album, wish the movie would make it here. I been checking the movie times for about 2 weeks now, and found out today that the movie is not gonna be played here. Oh well I have placed my pre-release order for the movie and the cd. Have fun at the show.

Ya'all are lucky that you get to see the movie on the big screen, I live in a city of about 300.00 and well for some reason am unable to get to experience this unique movie on the big screen. Funny that Zeppelin came here in 1968 and played at Gonzaga University, before the release of their first album, wish the movie would make it here. I been checking the movie times for about 2 weeks now, and found out today that the movie is not gonna be played here. Oh well I have placed my pre-release order for the movie and the cd. Have fun at the show.

That's odd, as I would think it would be somewhere nearby you. Check the LZ site front page and do a search for cinemas. It's gotta be playing in your area. Hopefully, someone in your area will see this and know to be different. I'm sure there is someone here to contact that will have the info. I find that hard to believe, especially in a populated area hear Seattle.

That's odd, as I would think it would be somewhere nearby you. Check the LZ site front page and do a search for cinemas. It's gotta be playing in your area. Hopefully, someone in your area will see this and know to be different. I'm sure there is someone here to contact that will have the info. I find that hard to believe, especially in a populated area hear Seattle.

There is a map on the LZ Cinema part on this site and no movies shown for here.

Thanks for all writing everyone! A great read, sounded like a truly awesome night. I'll be seeing it here in Australia on Wednesday. My final HSC exams start tomorrow, but Wednesday is a Celebration Day for the end of English! Hurrah! Thanks again.

Thanks for all writing everyone! A great read, sounded like a truly awesome night. I'll be seeing it here in Australia on Wednesday. My final HSC exams start tomorrow, but Wednesday is a Celebration Day for the end of English! Hurrah! Thanks again.

Good to hear Tom and that you'll be seeing the film in the theatre. So looking forward to Wednesday to seeing it again. I'm sure it will be just as great as before, but without the boys in attendance.

Good to hear Tom and that you'll be seeing the film in the theatre. So looking forward to Wednesday to seeing it again. I'm sure it will be just as great as before, but without the boys in attendance.

Yeah it's playing in over 10 theatres around me here in Sydney (just west. Probably over 50 within 50km). That must have been surreal being in their presence. Surely a moment to remember! I'm hoping the audience at my screening will be quite enthusiastic but I'm not getting my hopes up, just looking forward to it after watching camcorder and mobile phone footage for a few years! I think a lot of us are in the same boat there.

JPJ's bass was clear enough where I was, standing about 20 feet in front of the mixing desk...maybe the sounds was a bit muddier elsewhere?

As for the 'Zep of old' thing, I think a good listen to the third song in the set will dispel that idea. I'm sure it took a couple of songs to really get into the swing of things and establish their confidence, but this was 21st century Zeppelin, related to, but not exactly the same as the 'Zep of old'.

I was just quoting what reviewers were saying (I take them with a grain or 2 of salt most of the time). I can't wait to see the Blu Ray. And the neighbors will know I'm a Zep fan!!

Jeff

Just checked out the Seattle Cinerama homepage...says Celebration Day will be playing there on the 17th and the 18th.

EDIT: Never mind, just mapped the distance, its over 200 miles...

Take the day off as it's worth it! Fill the tank!

Agreed :) I took off work on Wednesday night just so I can make the trip to St. Augustine and see it...So excited, especially after reading your great review of the NYC Premiere!

You won't be disappointed in any way. Thanks for the positive comments!

Here's my review on my brother's music blog with some clips. Enjoy!

http://rockturtleneck.blogspot.com/

Although, the one I posted here on the Celebration Day Movie Forum Reviews is a bit better, as it's more detailed and contains my experiences from before and after the film as well. It's still a good read, with some clips!

i just saw the movie ...

i had a private show at a theatre in NC

and was totally blown away ...

i was also there the night of the show in '07 but, this was still next level ...

you guys are gonna be stoked ...

well done guns

God save our righteous queen ...

Hammersmith 12/10/2012

Amazing Amazing film, terrible sound in the venue, Page guitar was all muddy, too much low frequency going on!

hope this isn't the mix for the bluray? anyone else think the same or am i going deaf? as soon as GTBT started, you couldn't hear the riff, only if you already knew the tune could you make it out! roll on 17/10, try again!

Hammersmith 12/10/12

Great Film the sound for me was excellent, but then I was siting just in front of the mixing desk at the back of the stalls. It was nice to hear the intricacies of the sound. It was much clearer than the actual concert. I guess the acoustics very much depend upon where you are siting.

I was also at Hammersmith the other night, and the film just flew by. In fact I wish I was able to watch it again immediately afterwards, as it just went so damn quick! I was trying to listen/watch out for any likely fixes, but ended up just getting immersed in the whole thing. icon_redface.gif

SOUND:

At the screening I was sat in the stalls on the right-hand side (row w to be precise). The sound was quite muddy & indistinct to start with, but then evened out after three or four songs. All instruments were present & correct (even Page's guitar during 'Kashmir'). I didn't necessarily feel that the guitar was overpowering at all, and the mix of instruments/Plant's voice was nice & clear. Jason Bonham's drum sound in particular was absolutely thunderous. To my untrained ears, the mixing throughout 'Celebration Day' was perfectly done, and actually made me feel as though I was actually in the O2 as they played. Typically of some concert releases, audience noise was brought up at certain points, such as after a solo or the start/conclusion of songs. The roar that goes up at the start of 'Kashmir' for instance, is just electrifying.

VISUALS/EDITING:

The first thing I'll say is that 'Celebration Day' looks fabulous. For the most part Carruthers gets it right in terms of coverage of the band members & cuts to the crowd or wide shots with the backdrop visuals. What I did find quite annoying is the over-reliance on the use of Super 8. It's used an awful lot throughout, and I found it a distraction at times. It's even more of a pity as the 'proper' HD footage is just so beautiful. If it looks that good anyway, why f**k with it? That's not to say that it ruins the film - far from it. Personally I would have preferred more subtle usage of Super 8 here & there, as once or twice it does add a bit of vibe.

I'm afraid those of you that hate those MTV-style quick cuts will probably tear your hair out in places. It's most noticable in 'Black Dog' but is employed elsewhere ('Rock and Roll'). At times it really works, but there are occasions when I just thought "Oh just let the camera linger there awhile". Again it doesn't destroy the film, but can be a bit irritating at times.

What I really did enjoy was the way Carruthers has skillfully captured the interaction between the band members on stage. Laughs, winks, nods & cheeky grins to one another are there & are a joy to see. They really do look like they are having the time of their lives up there. I'm just trying to remember which track (probably during 'In My Time of Dying'), but Jones & Bonham exchange a glance which is just priceless. For the drooling/gurning Page lovers, there is also much to enjoy. icon_wink.gif Mercifully most of the solos seem to receive a respectful amount of coverage, and I can't recall any glaring exceptions to that.

There are some iconic shots throughout. Page with the double-neck in 'Stairway', echoing some of the scenes in 'TSRTS', the atmospherics in 'No Quarter' and 'Dazed'; even the title sequence. I have no doubt that you will all find your own favourite 'bits' to enjoy.

CUTS/FIXES: *SPOILERS*

I'm afraid to say that in my excitement I managed to miss quite a few of the obvious performance fluffs. Make of that what you will! SIBLY did appear to have been tidied up, although I didn't spot a cut. Curious - I'll need to watch it again. 'Dazed' was the most obvious thing I was looking out for. Others have said they thought it had been cut. Now I'm not so sure that it had been patched up at all, so if there was a quick edit I may have missed it. That nasty bit of feedback in 'GTBT'? Magically fixed. icon_smile.gif Bonham's scat rendition of 'I Can't Quit You' before 'MMH' and Plant's introduction to 'Kashmir' are similarly gone. Weirdly though Plant's "Jason is actually a pretty good singer himself" is left in, even though the band now go straight into the song!

PERFORMANCES:

We're all familiar with the boots. I listened to the O2 gig again a couple of days before the premiere, just to jog my memory. In terms of what is presented on 'Celebration Day', I'd say there are now several near 'definitive' versions in there. 'Black Dog' is just monstrous, with young Bonham absolutely playing his arse off. Having watched the film, I have a new appreciation for him. He really gives it everything he has right from the word go. 'Kashmir' is an absolute towering performance from all of them, and frankly I've never heard it sound better. The look of admiration from the guys towards young Bonham after the end drum fill on 'Rock and Roll' is worth the price of entry alone.

Plant (contrary to what some may have felt) sings his heart out. I saw no lack of effort from him at all. Jones is JPJ - solid & dependable. Page for the most part has a good gig, and noticably relaxes & starts to enjoy it after the reception to 'Black Dog'.

Some of the tracks did fall a little flat for me. I still wasn't impressed with 'Ramble On', 'Stairway' or 'TSRTS', but I'm sure some of you will disagree.

It's perhaps understandable if some of what I've written appears overly critical. If that's the case then allow me to clarify. 'Celebration Day' makes Zeppelin look & sound like the best band in the world once again. That's enough for me, and I will happily watch it over at least another million times.

An interesting post-script to the whole Premiere weekend was that I quite coincidentally bumped into Dick Carruthers on Saturday morning, at Camden. He was out shopping with his young child. It would have been nice to have had a longer chat with him, but he was enjoying family time so I was conscious of not bugging him too much. He was keen to hear what I and other fans had made of it, and expressed relief at the Hammersmith crowd reaction. He told me that Paul McCartney had turned up backstage, and immediately bounded up to him and said "Hi Dick, how are you doing mate?", almost entirely ignoring Page, Plant,& Jones & the other assembled celebs. icon_lol.gif

Hammersmith 12/10/2012

Amazing Amazing film, terrible sound in the venue, Page guitar was all muddy, too much low frequency going on!

hope this isn't the mix for the bluray? anyone else think the same or am i going deaf? as soon as GTBT started, you couldn't hear the riff, only if you already knew the tune could you make it out! roll on 17/10, try again!

The sound from the Blu Ray will be subjected to how your Home Theater/A/V Eq is set up. Which is why I'm waiting for the Blu Ray. My home theater equipment blows away my local cinema sound by far. All my concert Blu Rays sound amazing!

Jeff

Nice review One Symbol. Pretty cool that you got to meet Dick Caruthers and chat a bit.

Here's a direct link to my review that I posted on a blog.

http://rockturtlenec...turtleneck.html

Geat work Super Dave. I understand you were at the TBL meet, which I missed. Pity, as it would have been nice to say hello. I decided instead to stand outside the Hammy O with some other fans, freezing my knackers off. It was worth persevering though as I ended up right at the front of the barriers as Page, Plant, Jones and the assembled celebs came in. Managed quick chats with Sir Peter Blake (very nice bloke), Julian Lennon, etc.

Archived