Presence, Creem Magazine, and H-0-R-S-E

Creem (USA), New Musical Express (UK), and Melody Maker (UK) all shifted their primary focus away from rock artists to feature more punk, reggae and New Wave artists in an attempt to change with the times. IMHO, when Creem moved it's offices from Detroit (to New York and later to Los Angeles) in the mid '80s it killed the irreverent spirit of the magazine. Regardless of the artists it was featuring once it moved to NYC, Creem quickly became too corporate and predictable. IMHO, when Ray Coleman left as editor-in-chief of Melody Maker it ceased to be a rock magazine. Creem and Melody Maker are both long gone.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/2015/06/25/creem-magazine-honored-commemorative-sign-birmingham/29314427/

After reading the few comments posted along the lines of the DJ's....It baffles me as to why anyone would come down on the DRUMS of all things.

I don't think anyone could argue against the fact that it's some of Bonham's best work throughout the entire album. I think it's easily one of the strong points. Makes NO sense.

I never gave critics of John Bonham a thought until living with Jason Zep for a couple of years. What if they had a slightly less powerful but more accurate drummer? I think it brings alternate qualities forward. I couldn't understand John's critics for the life of me, until I heard Jason. Now I get it.

I never gave critics of John Bonham a thought until living with Jason Zep for a couple of years. What if they had a slightly less powerful but more accurate drummer? I think it brings alternate qualities forward. I couldn't understand John's critics for the life of me, until I heard Jason. Now I get it.

John Henry Bonham's technical and alchemical qualities were arguably the ideal match for Led Zeppelin. Jason is a formidable drummer in his own right, but I haven't heard any alternate qualities being brought forward. His style is very influenced by that of his father, and rightfully so.

• 1 year later...

It's weird some of the criticism John took when Zeppelin were active.. basic, heavy handed .. while some of the more technique minded drummers were endlessly praised.. I wonder if he took it to heart.. I used to get in arguments all the time..

Bonham played with a power and restraint that most drummers weren't using at the time. It has aged well and he changed the mindset for rock drumming. 

Now he's considered the best of the best  in rock and many of his more flashy peers are not forgotten, but not considered anywhere near his influence and impact.. 

Edit to add.. A lot of Bonham's parts are much harder to play (correctly) than many drummers realize... till they try to do it themselves.. Right Phil??  

For Your Life sounds simple enough... nope! It is extremely precise. The incredible tension he gives it by holding it back.. A masterwork.. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 1:02 AM, LurksReturnington said:

Jason Bonham can't even play the left handed clave on Rock'n'Roll.

Bonham's critics in the 70s were likely listening to Billy Cobham, Bill Bruford & Terry Bozzio, when you think about that, you can see why he took some stick but he's basically the person all rock drummers compare themselves to now. Led Zeppelin's music didn't require overly technical drumming & he gave the simpler stuff a feel that nobody else has managed before or since.

On 11/10/2016 at 8:53 AM, Mook said:

Bonham's critics in the 70s were likely listening to Billy Cobham, Bill Bruford & Terry Bozzio, when you think about that, you can see why he took some stick but he's basically the person all rock drummers compare themselves to now. Led Zeppelin's music didn't require overly technical drumming & he gave the simpler stuff a feel that nobody else has managed before or since.

Absolutely!  The other day I heard Mike Portnoy with Dream Theater play a medley of The Rover, Achilles and TSRTS.  Now Mike Portnoy is a monster drummer, no doubt about it, Brilliant player. But,  it sounded kind of thin. The Bass Drum (s) had little impact. Maybe because he's using some lighter beater but it was set for speed more than impact. The hands were flying,  the fills were spot on, but not nearly as forceful. The overall Bonham oomph was missing. 

The 'clave' is the left hand playing every beat in the bar on the snare drum along with the right hand on the high hat.

Jason openly admits he can't play it and if you watch the O2 gig you can see his weird appropriation of it at the start of the song.

I enjoy Jason's drumming but he's not in the same league as his Dad.

Archived