New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

These are US album sales only. If the Stones sold more albums than Zeppelin it is only because they have a staggering amount of releases and the fact they have been around for 50 years. During the 70s Zeppelin easily outsold the Stones on per album basis primarily because their were so massive in the USA

The Rolling Stones did NOT outsell Zeppelin.

The Rolling Stones: 29 studio albums, 17 live albums, 30 compilation albums, 3 EPs, 107 singles, 16 video albums, 57 music videos, 5 box sets (264 in total) = 89.5 million ceritfied units

Led Zeppelin: 9 studio albums, 4 live albums, 9 compilation albums, 16 singles, 3 video albums, 8 music downloads, 3 other charted songs (52 in total) = 134.1 million certified units

The Rolling Stones did NOT outsell Zeppelin.

The Rolling Stones: 29 studio albums, 17 live albums, 30 compilation albums, 3 EPs, 107 singles, 16 video albums, 57 music videos, 5 box sets (264 in total) = 89.5 million ceritfied units

Led Zeppelin: 9 studio albums, 4 live albums, 9 compilation albums, 16 singles, 3 video albums, 8 music downloads, 3 other charted songs (52 in total) = 134.1 million certified units

Yes Led Zeppelin outsold Rolling Stones in the USA in terms of albums

Okay, it's time for me to step in before this gets out of control...well, actually it has gotten out of control, but it's time to rein it in.

Good ol' Strider. Hello, darling! :kiss: Hope all is well!

but releasing 600 dollar books(Jimmy)

I have a theory on that one...maybe it wasn't meant for people like us? I mean, think about it, what's more important to us, music or photographs?? It's not like he told his life story or anything in his book...

I don't know how box sets will be priced. However, let me point out that they didn't release any highly priced version of Celebration Day, although they could. In fact deluxe edition is reasonably priced.

So true, in fact, the deluxe edition is more than reasonably priced.

I would gladly pay the price of a compact disc (around $10 - $20) to hear just two songs long rumoured to have been recorded by Led Zeppelin. The songs in question are titled, "St. Tristan's Sword" and "Lost in Space".

Anyone know or have heard anything about these two songs?

By the way, I would also kill to hear both versions of "Stairway to Heaven" with the other two different gutair solos because, as Jimmy has said himself, all three were completely different from each other.

When I comes to anything Led Zeppelin, new or old, money is not a major factor to me (up to a point obviously).

Dave Lewis mentions these two tracks ( "St Tristan's Sword" & "Lost in Space") in one of his books. I don't recall which one at the moment. IIRC,he states that JPJ sang vocals on "Lost in Space".

Okay, it's time for me to step in before this gets out of control...well, actually it has gotten out of control, but it's time to rein it in.

Taro, BIGGERFAN, Reggie, and whomever else is arguing with Tony: You are all misinterpreting the meaning of 'selling out'/'sold out' in Tony's post. Maybe it's due to you not being American or to Tony's hard to read posting style.

But in the case of Tony's post, the phrase 'selling out' doesn't refer to numerical numbers such as record sales or concert tickets. As Tony said, anyone can know that Led Zeppelin sold more albums than any band except for the Beatles and that they were the top concert draw during their reign.

What 'selling out' refers to in Tony's post is when a band allows monetary concerns to overrule quality concerns. For instance, when a band cynically puts out subpar product knowing the fans will buy it anyway. Or endlessly repacking the same "greatest hits" over and over.

The Rolling Stones and the Who regurgitated their catalogue countless times while Led Zeppelin had a grand total of ZERO Best of/Greatest Hits compilations during their lifespan. It wasn't until 1990 that anything other than the original 10 albums were available with the release of the first box set.

After that, there's only been two repackagings of the studio work: Early Days/Latter Days and the Mothership. The Stones repackage their shit every time Mick takes a piss.

THAT is what Tony was talking about when he said Led Zeppelin hadn't sold out like the Stones and the Who. Not that they didn't sell more records and concert tix, but that they hadn't put out product just for money reasons. Led Zeppelin didn't pander or take their fans for granted.

Back on topic...if it's like the recent Talking Heads, Queen and Pink Floyd catalogue remasters, I cannot wait to get them. I just hope they retain the original artwork and packaging ideas. As much as an improvement the 1993 Marino/Page remasters were over the first cd releases, there was room for improvement.

A studio "As Long As I Have You" would be awesome! As would the other two "Stairway" solos.

First of all I wasn't arguing with Tony, on the contrary I totally agree with him, it was Taro.

Misunderstandings always happen when we get our facts wrong and we see what we only want to see.

As for "the box set", I think with all the bootleg outtakes available we may see them cleaned up and there are many decent quality concert boots available.

Just because Jimmy has said he doesn't have anything left in the vault (probably due to the fact one of his so called friends stole them), it is plausible that some vintage concert footage could surface on DVD / CD.

If I recall correctly he obtained a whole lot of bootlegs from various places in Japan and that was after the 2003 DVD release.

I would be very interested in seeing STS, LIS and Fire appear on any release.

Unlike the photo album a release of anything musical would appeal to me.

New music from Page is my preferred option but anything is better than nothing, re-releases not withstanding.

Once again we wait......

Dave Lewis mentions these two tracks ( "St Tristan's Sword" & "Lost in Space") in one of his books. I don't recall which one at the moment. IIRC,he states that JPJ sang vocals on "Lost in Space".

Led Zeppelin The Concert File

From Ross Halfin diary November 23, 2004

http://rosshalfin.co...vember-2004.php

"My assistant Jimmy Page rang this morning telling me he's found a load of outtakes inculding a song with John Paul Jones singing, called ' Lost In Space ' - you can work out for yourself why it missed the cd's..."

Hi BIGGERFAN,

How on earth can you say this^^ They rarely did interviews, put out an album with no name (which by the way need I say more?) Robert turned down a bank vault full of money (I still say he will be extremely respected for wanting to keep the legacy intact).

Back On Topic: All I can say is I am looking forward to it. One thing about them is you never know :)

Thats what i mean he turned down a lotta money cause he dont need the money .He still making bankloads of money on the led zeppelin legacy .If he werent promoting the moveie they wouldnt even be hanging out.

I've always been intrigued by the 'St. Tristan's Sword' and 'Lost In Space' tracks, if in fact they exist. As I recall reading on this forum a few years ago, the former either morphed into or became 'No Quarter' and I'm not sure about the latter. If anybody would know, SteveAJones would.

First of all I wasn't arguing with Tony, on the contrary I totally agree with him, it was Taro.

Misunderstandings always happen when we get our facts wrong and we see what we only want to see.

I do AGREE with the point Tony was making, but the term "sell out" has nothing to do with it.

I've always been intrigued by the 'St. Tristan's Sword' and 'Lost In Space' tracks, if in fact they exist. As I recall reading on this forum a few years ago, the former either morphed into or became 'No Quarter' and I'm not sure about the latter. If anybody would know, SteveAJones would.

That link you suggest between "St. Tristan's Sword" and "No Quarter" is interesting - the bootlegged demos we have suggest that, musically, the structure of "No Quarter" was already fixed sometime in 1971 (when the demos were assumedly recorded, since they also contain early versions of "Black Dog"). While the tempo had yet to be adjusted, nearly all the aspects of the later song are there - including the vocal melody (which Plant scat-sings on the demo). What year is "St. Tristan's Sword" supposed to date to?

Btw: I realized last night that Jimmy must have been researching the vaults for a while now - I knew I was going to be vindicated for being excited when he posted those PG demos on his website!

I guess this can be linked to the "Why doesn't Pagey do something" thread? I've stated many times over-that I had a gut feeling he has been working on multi-projects, as he is commonly known as the care-taker of all things Zeppelin related. He's not getting any younger, and I would predict that if there is anything left worthy of release from him (solo wise) and Zeppelin material, you will see it very very soon.

Never doubted the guy for a second...even if it took much longer than most would expect.

Jimmy Page has suffered from a total lack of artistic output over the years since 1980 - period.

Robert Plant stands as the only true representative of creative spark within the remaining Zeppelin Camp - period.

The fact that Jimmy IS the Kepper of the Zeppelin Flame - True! Otherwise why spend so much time

re-recording the oft-times re-recorded Zeppelin Library...

I love Jimmy but cannot put any spin on his lack of Individual creativity and new product for his fans.

That said - What Jimmy has done to preserve the Record of Led Zeppelin is invaluable.

Let's face it "We are not on Zeppelin Time" so the years have passed so slowly while waiting for Jimmy to be, well - Jimmy.

Jimmy Page has suffered from a total lack of artistic output over the years since 1980 - period.

Robert Plant stands as the only true representative of creative spark within the remaining Zeppelin Camp - period.

The fact that Jimmy IS the Kepper of the Zeppelin Flame - True! Otherwise why spend so much time

re-recording the oft-times re-recorded Zeppelin Library...

I love Jimmy but cannot put any spin on his lack of Individual creativity and new product for his fans.

That said - What Jimmy has done to preserve the Record of Led Zeppelin is invaluable.

Let's face it "We are not on Zeppelin Time" so the years have passed so slowly while waiting for Jimmy to be, well - Jimmy.

..........absurd........what about JPJ's last 30 thirty years???.......does he somehow NOT COUNT????.....and what about Robert's quality control???.....in all honesty........Dreamland???.......Hurting Kind???????.......I would certainly give him more praise than any one guy out of all the different supergroups........as far as his post-supergroup solo efforts.....but it ain't ALL been good......and Jimmy's done some great post-Zeppelin work.......and the only way I'd be happy with him doing anything new is if it's something he's genuinely inspired to do......not to please any collective appetite of his Zeppelin base.......everyone busts this guys chops endlessly........fucking just leave the guy alone......I'm happy for whatever he decides to do.....and even happier he is STILL WITH US.......

..........absurd........what about JPJ's last 30 thirty years???.......does he somehow NOT COUNT????.....and what about Robert's quality control???.....in all honesty........Dreamland???.......Hurting Kind???????.......I would certainly give him more praise than any one guy out of all the different supergroups........as far as his post-supergroup solo efforts.....but it ain't ALL been good......and Jimmy's done some great post-Zeppelin work.......and the only way I'd be happy with him doing anything new is if it's something he's genuinely inspired to do......not to please any collective appetite of his Zeppelin base.......everyone busts this guys chops endlessly........fucking just leave the guy alone......I'm happy for whatever he decides to do.....and even happier he is STILL WITH US.......

Hear hear!

Archived