New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Jimmy has given an interview to Team Rock Radio backstage at the Classic Rock Awards in London tonight and has shared a lot of information about the remaster box sets. Here's a quick summary:

They're coming next year, hopefully early next year.

All of the audio is finished.

Every album will be packaged with a companion disc featuring different mixes, possibly of every song.

There will be unreleased studio material.

There's a version of Since I've Been Loving You which is "totally different" "incredible" and "raw"

"Each disc will give a really intimate picture of the group"

Here's the source: https://soundcloud.com/teamrockradio/jimmy-page-at-the-classic-rock-awards-2013

Not to be pessimistic - but don't read too much into this sound-bite with Jimmy.

It's another "I'm at an Awards show and have to say something exciting to frost this cake" interview.

Everyone be calm and remember that Jimmy has promised and talked much over the years

but we have little or no actual product. And it may be years for this product to be out there

for our consumption. 2014? More likely 2019...

sounds like about what we expected. Each album re-mixed with a companion disc from the relevant era. I imagine that's lots of studio outtakes and alternate takes and then live material if he can dig it up and find some good stuff. The cool thing about doing it this way is if for example he could salvage just one song from seattle '77, then that's all he has to do, it's all just companion bonus material and not its own standalone thing. If the audio work is done by mr. page, can we assume what's holding it up is the legalities of royalites and in the case of any cover songs, the rights they have to pay for them.

sounds like about what we expected. Each album re-mixed with a companion disc from the relevant era. I imagine that's lots of studio outtakes and alternate takes and then live material if he can dig it up and find some good stuff. The cool thing about doing it this way is if for example he could salvage just one song from seattle '77, then that's all he has to do, it's all just companion bonus material and not its own standalone thing. If the audio work is done by mr. page, can we assume what's holding it up is the legalities of royalites and in the case of any cover songs, the rights they have to pay for them.

Not really. Mechanical royalties on CD is relatively straightforward.

Not really. Mechanical royalties on CD is relatively straightforward.

I think kenticus is refering to Beatles', Elvis' and Buffalo Springfield songs ( among others) in medleys such as WLL or communication breakdown.

And these don't come cheap. Jimmy's decision to skip Louie Louie from the HTWWW tracklist was purely financial

Jimmy has given an interview to Team Rock Radio backstage at the Classic Rock Awards in London tonight and has shared a lot of information about the remaster box sets. Here's a quick summary:

They're coming next year, hopefully early next year.

All of the audio is finished.

Every album will be packaged with a companion disc featuring different mixes, possibly of every song.

There will be unreleased studio material.

There's a version of Since I've Been Loving You which is "totally different" "incredible" and "raw"

"Each disc will give a really intimate picture of the group"

Here's the source: https://soundcloud.com/teamrockradio/jimmy-page-at-the-classic-rock-awards-2013

Thanks for putting that here from me as well. I listened late last night after I got home from work.

He did add that it/they will be before Christmas 2014, so that is a sort of time frame now.

wow the pessimism here is ridiculous. Robert himself, just a couple of weeks ago, says he was apart of an unearthing of unreleased tracks, yet people are still complaining it's not happening? Then Jimmy mentions it again and still there's still discontent. C'mon, we act like Celebration Day didn't just come out a year ago. Personally, i am thrilled that they're each dropping these little tidbits, shows that all of them are involved. Patience my friends.....

wow the pessimism here is ridiculous. Robert himself, just a couple of weeks ago, says he was apart of an unearthing of unreleased tracks, yet people are still complaining it's not happening? Then Jimmy mentions it again and still there's still discontent. C'mon, we act like Celebration Day didn't just come out a year ago. Personally, i am thrilled that they're each dropping these little tidbits, shows that all of them are involved. Patience my friends.....

Well, its not like the pessimism is unwarranted, or did that Jimmy Page solo album get released without us knowing? Its not a matter of "if" the release will happen, its a matter of "whether" we'll still be alive to hear it.

Dark Lord you just nailed it! Exactly right - We all love Jimmy but lets face it he has promised much - solo album, box sets, live music etc and delivered zero...pessimism is warranted. That said I'm so excited about the potential of Jimmy's plan and hope to be alive to hear the results!

Yes I agree and believe that he has tons of live video footage that will eventually see the light of day...remember Robert just released his trip to Mali video and he filmed that journey in 2003. So it took 10 years for what is basically a home video of his trip to the festival in the desert. ..great job though.

Pessimism is not only warranted it's condoned by Zeppelin.

Over their history they have been the underdog and shadowed by doubt and disdain which the band in turn used to fuel their creativity. At the height of their success in the late 70's - they faltered miserably. They were at their best when criticized and challenged., esp by the press.

He didn't say anything about live and video stuff. It looks like we are not getting any. I bet he has live stuff. Dose anyone agree.

Yes I agree and believe that he has tons of live video footage that will eventually see the light of day...remember Robert just released his trip to Mali video and he filmed that journey in 2003. So it took 10 years for what is basically a home video of his trip to the festival in the desert. ..great job though.

He also said he didn't want to 'give all the games away.' :) That can mean anything. All he let drop was one thing, an alternate SIBLY, but he wants to leave something as a surprise.

He also said he didn't want to 'give all the games away.' :) That can mean anything. All he let drop was one thing, an alternate SIBLY, but he wants to leave something as a surprise.

It was said by someone here a few months ago, who had info on these sets that the live material was being remixed. That was all, I remember hearing about this and no other details were provided. So hopefully, live material will be included with these releases. I would think so, but who knows, until Jimmy gives us more tidbits on the details of such!

What happened to the DVD stuff?

never any guarantees on that stuff, all just rumours as far as we all know. all we really know for sure is that the records all got remixed and that each will have a bonus disc of stuff we haven't heard before. That can mean studio, live, etc. Video footage we honestly have zero clue about at the moment.

November 15, 2013 5:35 PM ET

Who knew Jimmy Page was a hip-hop head? The legendary Led Zeppelin guitarist has shared an unlikely mash-up track called "Ramblize," which blends his former band's hard-rock anthem "Ramble On" with the Notorious B.I.G.'s rap staple "Hypnotize."

Flashback: Led Zeppelin Rock the Royal Albert Hall

While this might sound like a bizarre prank, the track is currently streaming at Page's official website. A link to the track was tweeted out this morning, accompanied by the prophetic phrase, "On this day Biggie Smalls."

"Ramblize" features Biggie rapping his iconic "Hypnotize" verses over a sampled beat, random DJ scratches and various elements (the bassline, acoustic riff and twitchy percussion) from "Ramble On." Meanwhile, bits of Robert Plant's lead vocal ("I smell the rain!") randomly drift through the mix.

While it's a bit surreal hearing Biggie rap about "bulletproof glass tints" and "every cutie wit' a booty" over a hard-rock classic, the two disparate halves form a strangely cohesive whole.

By Ryan Reed

November 15, 2013 5:35 PM ET

Who knew Jimmy Page was a hip-hop head? The legendary Led Zeppelin guitarist has shared an unlikely mash-up track called "Ramblize," which blends his former band's hard-rock anthem "Ramble On" with the Notorious B.I.G.'s rap staple "Hypnotize."

Flashback: Led Zeppelin Rock the Royal Albert Hall

While this might sound like a bizarre prank, the track is currently streaming at Page's official website. A link to the track was tweeted out this morning, accompanied by the prophetic phrase, "On this day Biggie Smalls."vy

"Ramblize" features Biggie rapping his iconic "Hypnotize" verses over a sampled beat, random DJ scratches and various elements (the bassline, acoustic riff and twitchy percussion) from "Ramble On." Meanwhile, bits of Robert Plant's lead vocal ("I smell the rain!") randomly drift through the mix.

While it's a bit surreal hearing Biggie rap about "bulletproof glass tints" and "every cutie wit' a booty" over a hard-rock classic, the two disparate halves form a strangely cohesive whole.

Steve posted this in the OTD thread already.

Archived