The Genius Of "Coda"

thezepguy

Has a few "great" songs on it, may sound awesome cause the material is fresh, not lots of airplay like the rest. But their best work? Not really, now that you've got their entire collection check out their real early works and if you get a chance try to find some Yardbirds stuff, that's where their roots started. (Live Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page is scary-it has Zeppelin all over it, even though they wouldn't be around for another year). I'm a fan of all their works but prefer their earliest, their first 5. If you truly listen to coda you can pinpoint the approximate time each song may've been recorded and what album it was left off, glad these tracks would later be released--but not their finest..

I didn't think I'd like Coda, but I bought it anyway, just to give Jimmy, Robert, JPJ, and the Bonham Estate a bit more money... Imagine my surprise when I listened to it and every song is fantastic!

Am I the only one who likes Bonzo's Montreaux more than Moby Dick (studio version, anyway.).

I think they're both great. But the guitar playing means 'Moby Dick' (album version) gets my vote

If you truly listen to coda you can pinpoint the approximate time each song may've been recorded and what album it was left off, glad these tracks would later be released--but not their finest..

You don't need to listen to Coda to pinpoint anything....Just read the sleeve notes. Surely you should know that already.

Coda seems to extract its share of grief from some folks.

Wearing and Tearing, and Ozone Baby are worth the price of admission to my ears. Look no further than the Knebworth '90 festival to see how much energy W and T produced. If asked, I would say either song would've been a cool addition to the o2.

Nary a clunker on the album to me, but not my favorite album either.

As we are a little way away from them it was good to get Coda as a fill-in LP. I admit it has great songs on it but to me it isn;t the 'best' LP. I believe that all thier releases are great, and when done, were the best at the time. Having most of their songs and some DVDs I listen to them regulary wwith many other groups and individual artists. To me they were the best group in the world that none could touch.

negatory Ghost Rider

Well if this comment has nothing to do with me I'm very sorry,

but if it's a negative comment about me I know some people here don't like me and it's hard to say something nice about me, when the whole idea for some is NOT to like me, because they feel like I wanted to force or argue them into liking my music!

I never really tried to do that, I just wanted a discussion and I was very low on confidence and so criticism hurted me a bit more then normal and I also didn't notice that those early tapes really did suck at times!

So if the idea for some is not liking me, it's hard to build up genuine friendships here, so I don't post that often(I also don't have that much time), but I guess good relationships can only come if people start with a positive start and I guess that is a bit messed up by my beggining on this forum!

The only thing Coda established for me upon it's release was that the entire ride was over, and that just made me very sad. I remember staring at it in the record store for a couple minutes and then passing on it. As a 70's kid, I didn't think it was worthy of the legacy....and I still don't, even though I do own it.

Coda is ABSOLUTELY NOT their finest hour.....that must be just a troll comment....although it has almost the duration of an EP it is a very pleasant album with excellent tracks like Wearing n Tearing....Anyway,i am really glad that Jimmy decided to release that material instead of finding it in poor quality from bootleg sources....

So just because someone has a different opinion than you, it makes them a troll?

Does that mean, if you think Led Zeppelin IV is the band's best album, but someone else say it's Physical Graffiti, they are automatically a troll also?

I wasnt aware that Plant did the vocals on Walters Walk in 1982. Is that a well known fact? Never heard it before.

It's A Legend actually, I read That it was recorded as an instrumental in 1972, and when Page and Plant got together at Sol Studios for the mixing sessions of Coda in 1982, Plant Wrote the lyrics about Bonzo's Death, and performed them on the same day. Actually as Good and Strong this song is, it's also Quite Eerie, and the Lyrics are Very Creepy, especially the "I'm walking the floor Over You" Part, which is supposed to be about Bonzo. But Who Knows, Wikipedia is filled with Incorrect Stuff.

So just because someone has a different opinion than you, it makes them a troll?

Does that mean, if you think Led Zeppelin IV is the band's best album, but someone else say it's Physical Graffiti, they are automatically a troll also?

Don't bother ZepGuy...

He's (Strider) hit or miss a lot of the time. Sometimes a really great informer/contributor to the threads...other times he jumps all over the wrong people for hardly any reason (this is a good example) There are some real "returning" Trolls on this site and some "new" one's, but I don't see him going after them.

And so what if you have a Bob Dylan avatar.......Does it really mean you can't like Led Zep, or your here to spoof the forum .........ridiculous comment.

Borderline Wacko

Have fun here brother. Take Care

It's A Legend actually, I read That it was recorded as an instrumental in 1972, and when Page and Plant got together at Sol Studios for the mixing sessions of Coda in 1982, Plant Wrote the lyrics about Bonzo's Death, and performed them on the same day. Actually as Good and Strong this song is, it's also Quite Eerie, and the Lyrics are Very Creepy, especially the "I'm walking the floor Over You" Part, which is supposed to be about Bonzo. But Who Knows, Wikipedia is filled with Incorrect Stuff.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I looked it up on Wikipedia to and it said pretty much the same thing. But you know, after giving it a listen again Plants vocals do sound much more like his vocals on ITTOD and his early solo work than his voice in the early 70's. So I suppose its possible.

Archived