What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

1 hour ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I just landed on my dream job today in Data Analytics! :yay:I got the call just a few minutes ago and I still can't believe it...I start on Monday. 

The hunt for my break into the Analytics industry, has not been easy at all.

While applying for jobs, I have even faced discrimination just because I am not an Engineer and just because I am a woman. At one point, I became terribly disillusioned with the system but, my beautiful parents urged me not to give up! In life, you really have to have someone in your corner, who loves you and who believes in you! 

My incredibly loving parents, my goofiness and the music of a wonderful band from Canada called Rush (who IMHO is the greatest band of all time) kept me afloat and prevented me from turning into a dark and cynical person with severe depression, who chose to give up on her dreams. 

All this time, I have been working two jobs. One is in the form of volunteer work as a student mentor because I love helping people who show an interest in the subject that I love : Econometrics. The other involves being a Subject Matter Expert in Statistics. 

To anyone out there whose having problems in any aspect of your life, this post is for YOU! Whatever you do, don't give up, EVER!

There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Also, please remember that the only way from DOWN is UP!!!! 

Awesome kiwi!  Glad this was the first bit of news I saw today.  Very happy for you. ??✌?️?

1 hour ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I just landed on my dream job today in Data Analytics! :yay:I got the call just a few minutes ago and I still can't believe it...I start on Monday. 

While applying for jobs, I have even faced discrimination just because I am not an Engineer and just because I am a woman. At one point, I became terribly disillusioned with the system but, my beautiful parents urged me not to give up! In life, you really have to have someone in your corner, who loves you and who believes in you! 

My incredibly loving parents, my goofiness and the music of a wonderful band from Canada called Rush (who IMHO is the greatest band of all time) kept me afloat and prevented me from turning into a dark and cynical person with severe depression, who chose to give up on her dreams. 

All this time, I have been working two jobs. One is in the form of volunteer work as a student mentor because I love helping people who show an interest in the subject that I love : Econometrics. The other involves being a Subject Matter Expert in Statistics. 

To anyone out there whose having problems in any aspect of your life, this post is for YOU! Whatever you do, don't give up, EVER!

There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Also, please remember that the only way from DOWN is UP!!!! 

Congrats P! Hope you like it! :bravo:

6 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Well done Kiwi! I'm dead chuffed by your happy news. Congratulations and Mazel tov! :toast:

9 hours ago, jabe said:

I'm uncorking the bottle for you, Kiwi! Hope to see your smiling face on the cover of business journals in the not too distant future.

Gee, that is so sweet!! :blush::thanku: 

My ultimate goal is to use my learning experiences in the field and build a youth centre for young girls from all walks of life, who want a career in Data Analytics / Data Science, but who might give up those dreams as they get older, just because they think they are not good enough as programmers and analysts or because of the incorrect notion (stemming from peer pressure) that Data Analytics is 'geeky' or that Data Analytics is a 'man's job', etc. The gender ratio in this industry is appalling. There are not enough women (relative to men) in this field and I am hoping to (in my own small way) change that, at least a little! :) 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

On November 26, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Jimmy Jam said:

Six years clean and sober. B)

I have many friends who have gone down that road and I know how rough it is to stay on course, so hat's off to you for making it six years. I guess it is really a minefield trying to navigate the holiday season with all the parties. I wish you continued success down the road.

On November 27, 2016 at 0:41 AM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Thanks, Debbie! :friends: I took a risk in having such a fixed career goal and I really had to be mentally strong and not let the voices of nay-sayers take over!

NEVER let the nay-sayers tell you that you can't do it!  That's just plain bullshit!

18 hours ago, Strider said:

I have many friends who have gone down that road and I know how rough it is to stay on course, so hat's off to you for making it six years. I guess it is really a minefield trying to navigate the holiday season with all the parties. I wish you continued success down the road.

True that, Strider.  It's a tough time of the year for those who want to stay "clean".  Stay strong Jimmy Jam! ✌?️

On 11/26/2016 at 11:41 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Thanks, Debbie! :friends: I took a risk in having such a fixed career goal and I really had to be mentally strong and not let the voices of nay-sayers take over!

9 minutes ago, Walter said:

NEVER let the nay-sayers tell you that you can't do it!  That's just plain bullshit!

I agree with Walter, Kiwi. And you have already learned this for yourself.  Good for you!  

Remember, follow your heart, trust your gut, use your head.  Nay-sayers don't have a place in the process. 

:gimmefive:

8 minutes ago, Walter said:

On a selfish note, Mrs W met with her doctor today and everything in the biopsy from her latest surgery came back looking good!  She is one strong lady! :yesnod: 

Nothing selfish about that, Walter.  Congrats to your whole family on Mrs W's fantastic news.  She has a wonderful support system that keeps her lifted, good job!! :) 

51 minutes ago, Walter said:

On a selfish note, Mrs W met with her doctor today and everything in the biopsy from her latest surgery came back looking good!  She is one strong lady! :yesnod: 

That is wonderful news Walter!!  Here's to Mrs. Walter - looking forward to meeting up with both of you again soon :)