Earthquakes

zepscoda

7.1 earthquake this evening in SoCal

The sea was red and the sky was grey, wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today.
The mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake
As the children of the sun began to awake.

2 hours ago, kipper said:

7.1 earthquake this evening in SoCal

The sea was red and the sky was grey, wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today.
The mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake
As the children of the sun began to awake.

Plate tectonics

El Temblor

On 7/6/2019 at 10:12 AM, chef free said:

I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes and hurricanes!

True Dat!

In terms of California the death toll from earthquakes only averages about 17 deaths per year over the last 200 years. If you exclude the Great San Francisco quake from that average then the average drops down to 2.5 deaths per year.

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

5.1 magnitude earthquake hits North Carolina, most powerful in the state since 1916.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/5-1-magnitude-earthquake-hits-north-carolina-most-powerful-state-n1236238

Yep. People felt it here in Georgia and some in Tennessee as well as South Carolina and Virginia, too. Fault lines are waking up.

R😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, Walter said:

That around the end of the Second World War, right? :rolleyes::lol: 

Worst to hit the East coast in over a century.  And not sure the records go back any farther than that?  I have not heard of damage?   I think the worst was in the Blue Ridge mountains. So I just wonder how much damage to trees and wilderness?  I hope not too bad?  I have not heard much.

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2020 at 10:37 PM, redrum said:

Miss Teschmacher upsets the Richter scale.

Eve Teschmacher | Superman Anthology Wiki | Fandom

"MS TESCHMAKEEEEEEEERRRRR!!!!"

Lex had no chill. Also - yowsa! Best part of the movie? I think so.

I drive on the Hayward Bridge every weekend and think about that damn fault line every time I do 😂😂

It pops off on average once every 140 years (going back 2000 years), give or take 20 years. The last "due date" was October 2008. So we're over 13 years into the margin. Bay area people have so many justifications about why you shouldn't think or worry about it, it's bewildering. I'm like .... "why do you live here" lol. It could pop literally any day now. Each day that passes increases the likelihood.  

2 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

"MS TESCHMAKEEEEEEEERRRRR!!!!"

Lex had no chill. Also - yowsa! Best part of the movie? I think so.

I drive on the Hayward Bridge every weekend and think about that damn fault line every time I do 😂😂

It pops off on average once every 140 years (going back 2000 years), give or take 20 years. The last "due date" was October 2008. So we're over 13 years into the margin. Bay area people have so many justifications about why you shouldn't think or worry about it, it's bewildering. I'm like .... "why do you live here" lol. It could pop literally any day now. Each day that passes increases the likelihood.  

Oh, it's coming like a thief in the night. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oy.

Shaanxi province earthquake of 1556, massive earthquake in Shaanxi province in northern China, believed to be the deadliest earthquake ever recorded. The earthquake (estimated at magnitude struck Shaanxi and neighbouring Shanxi province to the east early on Jan. 23, 1556, killing or injuring an estimated 830,000 people. 

• 2 weeks later...