Jason Bonham discusses why reunion tour didn’t happen

motu

Let's hope that Page, Jones, and Bonham form a new group with Coverdale on vocals - that would be exciting and new!

No, it wouldn't. Coverdale is not the man for a "new" sound.

While I think the C/P album was GREAT, it's not the route Page should take in finding a new vocalist. You have too much talent there, (with Page, Jones and Jason) and so much new music in the world to go ahead and put together a band that would sound like nothing more than a Zeppelin cover band, with Coverdale present.

No doubt it will sound like Zeppelin in some way, shape or form if you have those 3 guys playing instruments together. That's a given. I just think Coverdale's vocal approach and style (are somewhat limited) and wouldn't help broaden their horizons anything past what I've heard him do with Page already, no matter how different the music would or could be.

I started as a fan in 1979, and then it was over., I have ALWAYS wanted to see them, I couldnt get tix to Atlantic Reunion and the R&R hall of fame was $25k!!!! My only real chance was The 02, and it really bothers me that trash like Paris Hilton got to go, and I guarantee she knows NOTHING ABOUT Zeppelin! They should have done at least one other show in NY or LA for the real fans.

That being said, after seeing the 02 show, I am o.k with them not touring, not because of any reason that, I dont think Robert could do it a few nights a wk as he has said. but also because I spent yrs defending Zep to my peers who never saw them, because they thought they were terrible because of Live Aid and Atlantic!

The 02 was a perfect end and an IN YOUR FACE to every other Rock band on the planet!!!!

Let's hope that Page, Jones, and Bonham form a new group with Coverdale on vocals - that would be exciting and new!

i don't listen to much coverdale but from what i heard he seems to lack the Bluesy sound which is part of what makes the band great. i would be interested in them maybe doing something with a female as lead singer.

You have to respect Robert Plant's feelings on the subject. It's clear from his last few recordings he does'nt want to play loud rock music anymore. The keys of the O2 songs had to be changed as he can't hit the high notes anymore and could the band physically tour again bearing in mind they are pensioners now? Let's remember them as they were - the Hammer of the Gods!

I think we have no idea what the band has been through...we hear snippets and make snap judgements"it's this one's fault or they owe us...etc" ...normal for media and fans but when it comes down to it we have no idea beyond what we are told...this isnt a Stones vs Beatles type war it's not robert vs Jimmy...I respect all the members even when they disagree and I think they owe us nothing more than to be true to themselves...I have no idea what quitting heroin is like and have no idea what touring with a user is like I am sure difficult for all...the band seems like genuinely decent people and when I saw Robert with Alison K and Band of Joy thought he had a love for the music and a willingness to step back a little at times and share the spotlight that's rare... as well as a rapport with the crowd...Losing a friend, son and almost your own life might make anyone want to move on from what was. I respect all 3 and Jason and think Celebration Day is a great way to exit as a band and keep John Bonham's memory and impossibility of replacement in people's minds ..though Jason rocked and lived his dream for a great night! i dont want them to become Paul McCartney at the Olympics no matter what! There's enough Spinal Tap out there.

Sure, I fully agree and I understand this and respect this. I will always respect anyones decision, the more theirs cos they gave me a lot through their music.

That being said, noone could blame ME for still HOPING and WANTING them to join together and tour and reunite and all the stuff. Even if they only did few gigs a year.

I was born in 1983 and Led Zep became my favourite band when I was about 10. That has been 20 years now and I love them ever since. But I never had a chance to see them live ofc. I love music and I love Zeppelin SO MUCH and seeing them live would be a dream come true for me. And I mean a #1 life dream come true. Am I selfish? Maybe, but I am not forcing anyone, I respect them, but with the three of them still alive and a young Bonham to fill in around, I will ALWAYS keep my fingers crossed.

Sue me...

If celebration day is the finale for Zep, then so be it! They have given us something special to remember them by. I cant stop watching & listening to the dvd & cd. It's them on top of thier game,plus the rehearsal (fantastic as well). Whatever the future holds for them I will support. I would love for them to get together & record something new-i wont hold my breath. So when one of them drops a new cd- i will gladly pick it up. If Jimmy comes out with redone or unreleased material I'll be the 1st on line. I dont understand how fans of the band can toss blame or be angry that this is the end. It's over just be HAPPY with the material that they have given us,they have lives to live. And thats it!

I love the early Coverdale stuff as well. I got back into him when Coverdale Page was released because to my ears, it was a return of the real Coverdale

Another classic

He had a beautiful voice back then - was a big favourite of mine.

If celebration day is the finale for Zep, then so be it! They have given us something special to remember them by. I cant stop watching & listening to the dvd & cd. It's them on top of thier game,plus the rehearsal (fantastic as well). Whatever the future holds for them I will support. I would love for them to get together & record something new-i wont hold my breath. So when one of them drops a new cd- i will gladly pick it up. If Jimmy comes out with redone or unreleased material I'll be the 1st on line. I dont understand how fans of the band can toss blame or be angry that this is the end. It's over just be HAPPY with the material that they have given us,they have lives to live. And thats it!

Dead On. Good post

Sorry, but some of us -- myself included -- are voracious zealous fucks.

It was Bonzo who coaxed Robert into returning to the band after nearly eighteen months (for rehearsals at Clearwell Castle in May '78).

Ultimately, they did take a "back to basics" approach for the Over Europe '80 tour. While I definitely don't believe either had intentions to leave the band following that tour, in hindsight I do think the writing was on the wall that the band had preaked as a creative force in '75

& would've struggled to move forward into the eighties. This isn't meant to be a point of contention, merely stating a personal opinion.

If you look at how eager Plant was to escape Zep's shadow and Zep's assocations after Bonham's death, and if you look at how Plant was already kind of at the end of his rope Zep-wise after his son's death, I'm finally starting to believe that he'd have pulled out of the band if Bonzo had lived, with just as much intensity as he's pulled out of any attempt to reunite the band since 1980. I actually respect him for that, finally. Zeppelin's my first love, and I've finally decided that he preserved the Zep mystique by refusing to merchandise it the way Jagger merchandised the way-past-their-prime Stones. That's only added to Zep's greatness.

Jimmy did say in the new RS issue that Plant may prefer to get back to the Zep III acoustic dynamic instead of heavy Zeppelin. That may be true now, but it wasn't that way for the first few Plant solo albums and tours. I think Plant just wanted to escape the Zeppelin's massive shadow. Even if Bonham lived, that may have been the case. So no matter whether Bonzo were alive or not, millions of people would be in the same place -- yelling at Plant to get out there and tour with the boys again!

I do understand all but one thing... " preserving the Zep mystique by not reuniting zeppelin only adds to Zep's greatness". It is edited, to point out the meaning that has been said many many times before by many many people already... and imo........ this........ is............. BULLSHIT.

Stones are pleasing their fans by playing THEIR music. What the hell is wrong with that. They have every little bit of right to play their songs. In fact its great they still play together and spread the joy among their fans. That IS what music is for. That IS what they made the music for.

I understand everything else. Ok, they (Zeps) dont want to continue without Bonzo, they never did. Fair enough. Plant doesnt feel like doing Zep again. Fair enough. Everything else, fair enough, its their decision and I respect it 100%. But arguing that reuniting (now or ever before) could somehow negatively influence what they did in 70s. Or that someone would think they are selling out so they rather wont do that... thats just silly.

Archived