New 1977 soundboard - Landover 25/5 & 30/5 - Empress Valley release

Triplet Kick

I am listening to the first 6 songs from the 5-25-77 show and as always the SB really shows the mistakes but I love this tour so it is always a treat nonetheless. I listened to the aud. source's when I did the photo setlists for all four Landover shows this past year and 2011. Major missed cues even from Bonzo during TSRTS and IMTOD. Since is a nice version. haha while they are playing I just heard Jimmy's theremin gurgle during Since I've Been Loving You lol a roadie must have gotten close to it. You can hear the theremin again at the end of Since I've Been Loving you.- Must be moving it around for No Quarter

I am listening to the first 6 songs from the 5-25-77 show and as always the SB really shows the mistakes but I love this tour so it is always a treat nonetheless. I listened to the aud. source's when I did the photo setlists for all four Landover shows this past year and 2011. Major missed cues even from Bonzo during TSRTS and IMTOD. Since is a nice version. haha while they are playing I just heard Jimmy's theremin gurgle during Since I've Been Loving You lol a roadie must have gotten close to it. You can hear the theremin again at the end of Since I've Been Loving you.- Must be moving it around for No Quarter

What's your opinion of the sound, David? Like on a scale from Houston, which is really dry, to Destroyer, which is pretty rich sounding.

What's your opinion of the sound, David? Like on a scale from Houston, which is really dry, to Destroyer, which is pretty rich sounding.

Well I am just now getting to No Quarter for the 5-25-77 show and I think it is pretty balanced-probably better than Destroyer and the Houston show IMO- Houston had more bass than Destroyer and the guitar was down in the mix- the guitar is up nicely in the 5-25-77 show.

Who knows maybe these are actually audio from the video that were not taped haha

I mean come on why would those color bars even be on the screen if it wasn't used or the show taped. It would be off and a blank screen.

landover-53077-c.jpg

Well I am just now getting to No Quarter for the 5-25-77 show and I think it is pretty balanced-probably better than Destroyer and the Houston show IMO- Houston had more bass than Destroyer and the guitar was down in the mix- the guitar is up nicely in the 5-25-77 show.

Thanks, thanks...really looking forward to hearing it. And by the way Nutrocker, talking to you and others on this thread has made me realize that, behind my logical facade, there is a frothy mouthed Led Zeppelin 77 zealot waving a sword over his head screaming ALL MUST BOW DOWN TO THE WHITE POPPY DRAGON SUIT AND WORSHIP MY SCRATCHED UP COPY OF DESTROYER...OR THEY SHALL DIE. So I've got to calm the fuck down, I think.

Thanks, thanks...really looking forward to hearing it. And by the way Nutrocker, talking to you and others on this thread has made me realize that, behind my logical facade, there is a frothy mouthed Led Zeppelin 77 zealot waving a sword over his head screaming ALL MUST BOW DOWN TO THE WHITE POPPY DRAGON SUIT AND WORSHIP MY SCRATCHED UP COPY OF DESTROYER...OR THEY SHALL DIE. So I've got to calm the fuck down, I think.

Check your mailbox.

You are very welcome. Also here are the photo setlists I did for each o the Landover 1977 shows.

May 25

http://forums.ledzep...__fromsearch__1

May 26

May 28

May 30

Whoah! I've just started looking, but these are awesome. Hey, you know...I was kind of motivated by one of Nutrocker's "What have you done for the communiy?!" posts (not to me), and I was thinking of doing a youtube clip from Double Shot when I get it. Would it be okay if I use some of these? Don't hesitate to say no - I'm not up on a lot of the issues regarding violations of this and that. Just asking.

Whoah! I've just started looking, but these are awesome. Hey, you know...I was kind of motivated by one of Nutrocker's "What have you done for the communiy?!" posts (not to me), and I was thinking of doing a youtube clip from Double Shot when I get it. Would it be okay if I use some of these? Don't hesitate to say no - I'm not up on a lot of the issues regarding violations of this and that. Just asking.

You can use whatever you want- I don't own the pics and we aren't selling them- I don't see why it would hurt-if anything people get enjoyment out of them and maybe contact the original photographers and purchase prints from them.

I HAVE TAKEN MY MEDICINE, RETURNED TO THIS FORUM, AND I AM HERE TO PROCLAIM THE NEW LAW.

THE 1977 LED ZEPPELIN TOUR IS THE APEX OF WESTERN CULTURE AND A PERFECT EXPRESSION OF DIVINE WILL AND PROVIDENCE. THOSE WHO REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS WILL BE HUNTED DOWN LIKE SICK VERMIN AND ELIMINATED.

OUR GREAT PROPHET JIMMY PAGE MAKES NO MISTAKES AND HIS BLOOD IS - AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE - PURE LIKE A CLEAR MOUNTAIN STREAM. IT WAS THE PUREST EVER DURING 1977. ANY AND ALL SOUNDS - AND SOUNDS NOT MADE - BY HIS SACRED GUITARS ARE EXPRESSIONS OF THE VAST VIBRANT BEING OF THE UNIVERSE. ANYONE WHO EVER - EVER - USES THE WORD "SLOPPY" OR "ERRATIC" REGARDING HIS 1977 PERFORMANCES SHALL BE EXECUTED.

USERS OF THE TERM "SELF-INDULGENT" ARE IN BIG TROUBLE, TOO.

ONLY 1977 TOUR FANS SHALL BE ALLOWED TO PROCREATE. ILLEGITIMATE CHILDREN - I.E. CHILDREN OF 77 INFIDELS - SHALL BE MADE SLAVES IN THE SWEATSHOPS THAT SHALL PRODUCE THE WHITE POPPY DRAGON SUITS...WHICH EVERYONE MUST WEAR...EXCEPT THOSE WHO SHALL WEAR SHIRTS/BLOUSES/KIMONOS THAT DON'T FIT...TUXEDO T-SHIRTS AND SIMILAR DRUMMER ATTIRE...AND WHATEVER JONESY WAS WEARING AT THE TIME. THE BLACK 1977 TOUR T-SHIRTS WITH THE SWAN SONG LABEL ARE ACCEPTABLE...THEY ARE UNDENIABLY COOL, IN FACT, AND ATTRACTIVE MEMBERS OF THE OPPOSITE SEX SHALL FLOCK TO THOSE WHO WEAR THEM.

ARTIFACTS FROM THE 1977 LED ZEPPELIN TOUR - BE THEY VIDEO, AUDIO, PHOTOGRAPHIC, OR PSYCHIC...MERCHANDISE AND TICKET STUBS, ALSO...ARE SACRED AND HOLY. THE AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDINGS ARE SUPER-EXTRA SACRED AND HOLY, AND THEY ARE VEHICLES FOR COSMIC TRAVEL AND SPIRITUAL COMMUNICATION. ALL OF THEM SHALL BE HAILED AS AWESOME AND NO ONE SHALL UTTER A SINGLE WORD AGAINST THEM...OR EVEN THINK BAD THINGS ABOUT THEM...OR THEY SHALL DIE.

THOSE WHO ATTENDED THE 1977 TOUR (AS LONG AS THEY LIKED IT, AND DON'T OTHERWISE VIOLATE THE LAW) WILL BE FOREVER CONSIDERED SPECIAL AND BLESSED.

THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE NEW LAW. MORE SHALL FOLLOW.

77 ÜBER ALLES

MIELAZUL

+1 Walt.

I HAVE TAKEN MY MEDICINE, RETURNED TO THIS FORUM, AND I AM HERE TO PROCLAIM THE NEW LAW.

THE 1977 LED ZEPPELIN TOUR IS THE APEX OF WESTERN CULTURE AND A PERFECT EXPRESSION OF DIVINE WILL AND PROVIDENCE. THOSE WHO REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS WILL BE HUNTED DOWN LIKE SICK VERMIN AND ELIMINATED.

OUR GREAT PROPHET JIMMY PAGE MAKES NO MISTAKES AND HIS BLOOD IS - AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE - PURE LIKE A CLEAR MOUNTAIN STREAM. IT WAS THE PUREST EVER DURING 1977. ANY AND ALL SOUNDS - AND SOUNDS NOT MADE - BY HIS SACRED GUITARS ARE EXPRESSIONS OF THE VAST VIBRANT BEING OF THE UNIVERSE. ANYONE WHO EVER - EVER - USES THE WORD "SLOPPY" OR "ERRATIC" REGARDING HIS 1977 PERFORMANCES SHALL BE EXECUTED.

USERS OF THE TERM "SELF-INDULGENT" ARE IN BIG TROUBLE, TOO.

ONLY 1977 TOUR FANS SHALL BE ALLOWED TO PROCREATE. ILLEGITIMATE CHILDREN - I.E. CHILDREN OF 77 INFIDELS - SHALL BE MADE SLAVES IN THE SWEATSHOPS THAT SHALL PRODUCE THE WHITE POPPY DRAGON SUITS...WHICH EVERYONE MUST WEAR...EXCEPT THOSE WHO SHALL WEAR SHIRTS/BLOUSES/KIMONOS THAT DON'T FIT...TUXEDO T-SHIRTS AND SIMILAR DRUMMER ATTIRE...AND WHATEVER JONESY WAS WEARING AT THE TIME. THE BLACK 1977 TOUR T-SHIRTS WITH THE SWAN SONG LABEL ARE ACCEPTABLE...THEY ARE UNDENIABLY COOL, IN FACT, AND ATTRACTIVE MEMBERS OF THE OPPOSITE SEX SHALL FLOCK TO THOSE WHO WEAR THEM.

ARTIFACTS FROM THE 1977 LED ZEPPELIN TOUR - BE THEY VIDEO, AUDIO, PHOTOGRAPHIC, OR PSYCHIC...MERCHANDISE AND TICKET STUBS, ALSO...ARE SACRED AND HOLY. THE AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDINGS ARE SUPER-EXTRA SACRED AND HOLY, AND THEY ARE VEHICLES FOR COSMIC TRAVEL AND SPIRITUAL COMMUNICATION. ALL OF THEM SHALL BE HAILED AS AWESOME AND NO ONE SHALL UTTER A SINGLE WORD AGAINST THEM...OR EVEN THINK BAD THINGS ABOUT THEM...OR THEY SHALL DIE.

THOSE WHO ATTENDED THE 1977 TOUR (AS LONG AS THEY LIKED IT, AND DON'T OTHERWISE VIOLATE THE LAW) WILL BE FOREVER CONSIDERED SPECIAL AND BLESSED.

THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE NEW LAW. MORE SHALL FOLLOW.

77 ÜBER ALLES

MIELAZUL

Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the Law.

So mote it be.

INTERNAL MEMO: BELIEVERS ONLY. DO NOT LEAK.

GREETING BRETHREN. THE MOVEMENT HAS STARTED.

POINT ONE: IN ACCORDANCE WITH OUR PLAN, I HAVE BEEN VIGOROUSLY EXTOLLING THE VIRTUES OF THE 77 TOUR IN THIS FORUM, AND AGGRESSIVELY HARASSING THOSE WHO DENY ITS GREATNESS. I EXPECT YOU TO DO THE SAME. IN THE COURSE OF MY BATTLES WITH THE INFIDELS AND BLASPHEMERS, I HAVE COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THE TEMPE SHOW IS OUR GREATEST VULNERABILITY.

THEREFORE, I HAVE DECIDED THAT TEMPE ARIZONA MUST BE BURNED TO THE GROUND. ANY RESIDENTS WHO HAVE MEMORIES OF A CERTAIN SHOW ARE TO BE LIQUIDATED.

POINT TWO: NOTE TO THE TECHNICALLY INCLINED AMONG US. I HAVE ALSO DECIDED THAT ALL COPIES OF THE SEATTLE VIDEO ARE TO BE SECRETLY AND QUICKLY SEIZED AND "ENHANCED," AND THEN QUIETLY RETURNED TO THE OWNERS. SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO TO MAKE THE SHOW BETTER. THE TAMPERING MUST NOT BE EVIDENT!!!!!

POINT THREE: THE PONTIAC VIDEO IS ONE OF THE HOLIEST OF THE SECRET SACRED RELICS. IT JUST HAS TO EXIST, GODDAMNIT!!! ANY SINS, OR EVEN ATROCITIES COMMITTED IN YOUR SEARCH TO UNEARTH IT ARE ABSOLVED. THE LA VIRGINS AWAIT YOU IN HEAVEN, KNIGHTS OF THE GREATEST TOUR!!! GO FORTH AND FIND THAT VIDEO.

POINT FOUR: I HAVE RECEIVED INQUIRIES FROM MEMBERS OF OUR CADRE REGARDING ACCEPTABLE ATTIRE. SPECIFICALLY, I HAVE BEEN ASKED ABOUT THE STORMTROOPER OUTFIT, WHICH INCLUDES A WAFFEN SS HAT. A LOT OF YOU SEEM TO WANT TO WEAR THIS. PERSONALLY, I AM ALL FOR IT, ALTHOUGH I WONDER IF THE SENSITIVITIES OF OUR JEWISH BRETHREN SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT. I THINK THEY SHOULD, AS LONG AS SAID BRETHREN THEN AGREE TO ABANDON JUDAISM AND WORSHIP JIMMY PAGE.

POINT FIVE: THE LANDOVER SOUNDBOARDS WILL BE WIDELY AVAILABLE SOON. I AM EXPECTING THEM TO BE SONIC REVELATIONS OF BEAUTY AND SPLENDOR...AND SO THEY WILL BE!!!

INDEED...SO THEY WILL BE!

77 Über Alles

MIELAZUL

Hmmm, just when I thought I was through with Landover...they manage to pull me back in.

My only exposure to the Landover 77 shows have been through the Bringing Down the House and the Powhatan Confederacy soundboard boots. Both were desultory listening experiences...Bringing Down the House was so bad I traded it for another boot.

I kept Powhatan...if only so I could hear Robert Plant refer to Maryland as Mary-Land. And if I ever had trouble getting to sleep I could listen to Bonzo's 25 minutes-plus drum solo as a sleeping aid.

I have heard others rave about the 5/30 show, so I hold out hope that maybe, just maybe, one of these Landover shows will be worth a damn.

Of course, there's still the problem of them being soundboards, not my preferred way to listen to 1977 Zeppelin...give me a decent audience tape any day. Only the 1975 soundboards don't make it sound anti-septic and flat.

I'll wait for it on Eelgrass.

I'll wait for it on Godfather.

Indeed, but then I suppose not everybody is a '77 tour anorak like some of us are :lol:

An anorak is someone who can tell you the exact length of every "No Quarter" on the '77 tour, with exact timings for both the Boogie section and the main solo section, with a total recall of each appearance of the Nutrocker in place of the Boogie section.

It doesn't require being an anorak to do something as simple as getting the setlist right. If you are putting information out for public consumption, you better damn come correct. If not, your info is basically worthless.

That's how I operate and that's why I try to check and double-check info before I post...I'd rather be right than first. When I make a mistake, I apologize and correct the bad info by re-editing my post or if that's not possible, posting the correct info.

I don't know if the mistake is from publicenemy3 or from the EVSD site or what, but every track listing in his post is wrong. And it doesn't take an anorak to spot the errors.

Yeah, Nutrocker, I mean we're agreeing in a lot of ways today, but - and it seems you understand by now that I'm coming at this respectfully - but it seems like there's more of a negative twist when you pick up my comments and go forward with them. My whole point regarding practice, progress and Jimmy in 77, is that sometimes (and I mean sometimes) you're not hearing a DECLINE in his abilities at all...you're just hearing him trying to do something WAY FUCKING HARDER than he used to. I think regardless of one's opinion on the end result (which I think we both agree was sometimes awesome) listeners have to acknowledge that and give him credit for it.

Well, I've said that before, many times...it's not as though Jimmy Page all of a sudden became a sloppy guitarist in 1977; he could always be a little bit sloppy. I mean, the solo in the studio "Heartbreaker" is a little bit sloppy IMO, but who gives a shit- it's a little bit sloppy with feeling. Give me a sloppy Jimmy Page playing with tons of soul over somebody like a Steve Vai or Ygnwie Malmsteen, who probably think that playing a simple Pentatonic scale solo is beneath them. They're good at what they do, don't get me wrong, but there's no soul, it's all technique, and that gets boring real fast. One thing you can say about Page is that he's hardly ever boring...and that's why he's my favourite guitarist.

And by the way Nutrocker, talking to you and others on this thread has made me realize that, behind my logical facade, there is a frothy mouthed Led Zeppelin 77 zealot waving a sword over his head screaming ALL MUST BOW DOWN TO THE WHITE POPPY DRAGON SUIT AND WORSHIP MY SCRATCHED UP COPY OF DESTROYER...OR THEY SHALL DIE. So I've got to calm the fuck down, I think.

Maybe you do need to calm down, have a drink or a doobie or something...it's not about bowing down at the altar of 1977, it's about knowing what you like and going with it. It's not about "My Zeppelin is better than yer Zeppelin!"; the '77 tour isn't everybody's cup o' tea, and that's something to be respected. Who cares what anybody else thinks, it's what you think that matters in yer life...yer preaching to the already converted in this discussion methinks.

Hanging around this forum like a disturbing guy around a school yard, muttering about "the 77 tour."

Been there, done that...I'm sure a few people in my life were ready to either stage an intervention or have me committed when it comes to my '77 obsession...

Which leads me to:

Hmmm, just when I thought I was through with Landover...they manage to pull me back in.

:wave:

I've 'retired' from this forum and then come back about three times now, all thanks to new 1977 stuff popping up. Never mind Landover, the '77 tour is a worse addiction than crack, I'm tellin' ya... :lol:

An anorak is someone who can tell you the exact length of every "No Quarter" on the '77 tour, with exact timings for both the Boogie section and the main solo section, with a total recall of each appearance of the Nutrocker in place of the Boogie section.

:wave: :wave:

Remember, Strider, yer talking to the guy who actually lashed together a compilation of every "No Quarter" Boogie Section basically out of boredom (I think I was actually trying to make some kind of point about the Boogie Sections, but I can't recall what it was at the moment...)

Well, I've said that before, many times...it's not as though Jimmy Page all of a sudden became a sloppy guitarist in 1977; he could always be a little bit sloppy. I mean, the solo in the studio "Heartbreaker" is a little bit sloppy IMO, but who gives a shit- it's a little bit sloppy with feeling.

True. But I think another distinction that needs to be made is that he was on top of his tone/sound from 1969-73. So even when he was sloppy during the early years, whether it was the killer fuzz of his Dragon Tele/Rickenbacker-HiWatt combos or the Black Beauty crunch or his classic Les Pauls, his tone and echoplex would mask the sloppiness to the listener.

1975 and beyond was a different matter. Whether through lack of quality control on the part of Jimmy or Raymond, Jimmy's tone and amp sounds were very haphazard as the years went by. The sheer volume at concerts was enough to mask certain mistakes, but Jimmy's guitar by 77 tended to sound loud and thin, as opposed to the thick, full-spectrum sound of the early years.

Only on certain songs(OTHAFA, Nobody's Fault, TYG) did his guitar have the old roar back. Too often, though, Jimmy's guitar sounded like it was in the wrong gear.

If he had kept up his tone in '77, the mistakes wouldn't have been so noticeable.

Sometimes I wonder if he made these calculations based on the room sound (or stadium sound, in this case). When you're playing to a big audience, you have to make decision about how you set your tone with the audience in mind, not how you like it in your private perfect room...because it sounds different as it fills up the space. So what's thin on stage - and frequently on the soundboards, unfortunately - ends up sounding rich and warm to the audience. It kind of brings to mind that famous argument that Keith Richards had with Chuck Berry while they were doing that film together. Chuck was pissed at Keith for fucking with his amp settings, and Keith was trying to explain that he was trying to get it so it sounded good on the film...which would require making changes that might not sound so good in the actual room they were in (it's a funny little spat they had, you can check it on youtube). Anyway, it's something to consider...in fact, I think I've read about JImmy making that consideration for the huge venues.

^^^

The Fabulous Forum didn't shrink or grow in size. It was the same in 1977 as it was in 1972. Yet, apart from a few occasions, Jimmy's guitar clearly didn't ring out with the same bite in 1977 as it did in 1972. Compare Heartbreaker from 6-25-72 to 6-21-77.

True. But I think another distinction that needs to be made is that he was on top of his tone/sound from 1969-73. So even when he was sloppy during the early years, whether it was the killer fuzz of his Dragon Tele/Rickenbacker-HiWatt combos or the Black Beauty crunch or his classic Les Pauls, his tone and echoplex would mask the sloppiness to the listener.

1975 and beyond was a different matter. Whether through lack of quality control on the part of Jimmy or Raymond, Jimmy's tone and amp sounds were very haphazard as the years went by. The sheer volume at concerts was enough to mask certain mistakes, but Jimmy's guitar by 77 tended to sound loud and thin, as opposed to the thick, full-spectrum sound of the early years.

Only on certain songs(OTHAFA, Nobody's Fault, TYG) did his guitar have the old roar back. Too often, though, Jimmy's guitar sounded like it was in the wrong gear.

If he had kept up his tone in '77, the mistakes wouldn't have been so noticeable.

Not only that, but he wouldn't have been overpowered by JPJ's 8 string bass :lol: Or the four string Alembic, for that matter...some '77 shows, particularly on the first two songs you can barely hear Page at all, it's the Jones and Bonham Show!

^^^

The Fabulous Forum didn't shrink or grow in size. It was the same in 1977 as it was in 1972. Yet, apart from a few occasions, Jimmy's guitar clearly didn't ring out with the same bite in 1977 as it did in 1972. Compare Heartbreaker from 6-25-72 to 6-21-77.

Probably two of my three favorite shows, so that's not a bad homework assignment. But without getting to it yet, I'd just say that on the good audience recordings from 77, Jimmy's sound is very enjoyable to me, while the soundboards tend to have a much thinner sound. I still enjoy them, but you kind of have to add some atmosphere with your imagination. Anyway, I haven't received my copy of Double Shot yet, but it will be very interesting to compare the soundboard with the audience recording, which I think is great.

Archived