New 1977 soundboard - Landover 25/5 & 30/5 - Empress Valley release

Triplet Kick

Axe Man - I just got through the 5/25 show today. With all due respect, I really hesitate to call it sloppy. It isn't the quality show that Listen to This Eddie is, but it is definitely better than Seatlle in 77. If you are talking about the 5/30 show - I will yeild to your opinion since I haven't listened to that yet. I'll agree with you that any new live Zepp is always good.

Interesting that everyone is saying that the guys are sluggish. LA and Fort Worth are both better without even a comparison, and I will even agree that this isn't the best show on the 77 tour. However, we have another freakin' soundboard of the 77 tour, and that is really nice. Let's not get too spoiled. Please keep putting out these soundboards. I will continue to buy them. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

I'm really enjoying both. It's '77 so it's unlikely any single show will be totally consistent performance-wise - and that's certainly the case here.

That said, my performance highlights:

(1) NFBM on the 25th rocks quite nicely.

(2) IMTOD is great both nights - but Page's guitar sounds extra-big on the 25th.

(3) SIBLY is very nice both nights.

(4) TYG is IMHO fantastic on the 25th. A little sloppiness from Page (surprise), but the overall energy and impact are there in spades. A great version.

(5) The acoustic set (minus Battle of Evermore) is really nice on the 30th.

(6) The Whole Lotta Love/Rock & Roll encore - often a disappointment - is riotous on the 30th. It's the last song on the last night of a run and you can tell: they're pouring everything they've got left into it.

Sound quality wise, it's no surprise. It sounds better than Magical Sound Boogie (June 7 NYC), but not by much - and the overall sonic profile is very similar. A modest treble boost in the 4-16kHz range, plus some tasteful reverb, brightens and cleans it up very nicely. Treated in that way, the acoustic set sounds especially nice. The core sound is nice and clear, though, so it's a good source to work with. To my ears the 30th tape sounds slightly better than the 25th.

LA and Fort Worth are both better without even a comparison

Ah, Fort Worth...one of my personal favourite '77 shows...quintessential 'tight but loose' Zeppelin right there.

That said, my performance highlights:

(1) NFBM on the 25th rocks quite nicely.

(2) IMTOD is great both nights - but Page's guitar sounds extra-big on the 25th.

(3) SIBLY is very nice both nights.

(4) TYG is IMHO fantastic on the 25th. A little sloppiness from Page (surprise), but the overall energy and impact are there in spades. A great version.

(5) The acoustic set (minus Battle of Evermore) is really nice on the 30th.

To my ears the 30th tape sounds slightly better than the 25th.

I've only made it about halfway thru the May 25 SBD so far, but I agree...IMTOD was a good performance on the night. As usual, it takes the band a couple of songs to warm up; they find their groove by the time "In My Time Of Dying" rolled around; I was impressed. Easily one of the best '77 versions IMO.

"Ten Years Gone" is damn good on the 25th, I believe we've just about come to a consensus on that. It could very well be the highlight of the show, not unlike on April 27 and in Seattle (Plant's voice excepted in that case...)- notoriously iffy performances where they actually manage to pull off TYG on the night- arguably the most challenging song LZ attempted onstage.

I believe Bonham also sings backup on "Battle Of Evermore" on the 30th; I'm sure he comes through loud and clear on the SBD, so it can't be all that bad :lol:

The May 25 SBD does sound kinda 'dead', not unlike the May 28 SBD. I've only heard "No Quarter" from the 30th thus far, and it's a much better sounding board tape...I just wish they didn't overprocess the shit outta the big audience patch they used.

I have a remastered, reprocessed version of the 5-28 show...beats all the MD. shows. Especially the beautiful version of NQ. My God that's good....

I suspect though that with my gear I can clean up these dry sounding SB's and get something better out of them. Stay tuned....

Here you go, Sue. The inside covers are all the same except Jimmy is jumping a little differently

Thanks! I appreciate it! I hate to keep pestering, but I would like to see scans of the other cases because I was gonna edit them to be for jewel-cases and print them out. It would still be highly appreciated!

Well, I finally gave these new SBD's a full listen over the weekend, so here are my thoughts, as if anyone cares :lol:

May 25: this seems like one of those '77 shows that can go from magnificent to sloppy at the drop of a hat. JPJ almost owns "The Song Remains The Same" in the same way that Bonham did on June 21. Good lead type bass on this version, though Jonesy doesn't come close to overplaying. Page, on the other hand is kinda sloppy on the first two songs. It took a few songs to warm up, obviously. I've already stated how good IMTOD and TYG were at this show (SIBLY isn't too bad, either), whereas "No Quarter" was pretty weak on Page's part. The acoustic set seems pretty par for the course; Page keeps his BYAS and "White Summer" improvs short and to the point (maybe he realized he was sort of having an off night). "Kashmir"'s all right- any night where they don't get lost in the song or the mellotron is outta tune is a bonus. The drum solo actually has energy, especially compared to the lethargic marathons Bonzo performed at the next two Landover gigs. Page also keeps the Noise Solo short, ten minutes of this kinda thing is plenty. "Achilles", well, I've often said that they tended to rush the song in '77, ALS is something that needs to be able to breathe. Page sorta fumble fingers here and there. "Stairway" and the encores are pretty rote. Overall, May 25 is a fine example of the main problem with the '77 setlist- the extended drum and noise solos kill the momentum, the band struggles to finish the show on a high note (a malady that also afflicted a lot of the '75 shows as well). Still, aside from the Physical Graffiti material there really isn't much to recommend about this show, although it's nice to actually be able to hear what they were playing, since the distant audience tape is pretty vague in that regard. I'll give it a 3/5...all things considered I'm inclined to say May 25 is John Paul Jones' show, he kicked ass on the night.

May 30: No question, this is the best of the four Landover shows. But admittedly that still isn't saying much. You can tell the band wanted to give the audience something special on the final night, and they mostly pull it off. Jonesy is more restrained, Page isn't quite as sticky fingered on the opening numbers, though NFBM is indeed 'less than magical' (I'm pretty sure the bottle rocket set Plant's shirt on fire at the point where he says, "Oh no!" at the start of Page's solo). SIBLY is good on this show. Damn that overprocessed audience patch in "No Quarter"! The sound almost ruins it for me (unprocessed the audience tape is actually pretty good, comparable to the April 28 tape, but EVSD really fucked it up here IMO) TYG is so-so on Page's part. Good acoustic set, Bonzo joins in once again for BOE, you can tell the band had fun performing these acoustic tunes (so why didn't they do more?!) The out of tune mellotron kills "Kashmir", you can see why JPJ and guys like Tony Banks would soon retire the 'Trons and go with actual synthesizers. Average drum solo, but at least it isn't thirty five minutes long. Good stereo panning effects on the SBD, ditto during the Noise Solo. Again, ALS seems rushed, though a bit better than on May 25. I liked Page's "Stairway" solo. And I suppose this soundboard puts to rest whether or not they played another encore after "Rock And Roll". I think they should have; it seems to me they tended to pull out a second encore at '77 shows the band themselves felt were exceptional, and generally speaking this is one of those nights.

All told, I reckon May 30 is all the Landover you really need...4/5

I suppose this soundboard puts to rest whether or not they played another encore after "Rock And Roll".

I don't think it does.

The applause cuts out right after the end of R&R. But on the AUD, the applause goes on for about 2 mins. It dips a little around 6.00, and some boos can be heard...but then right at the end, the cheering intensifies, with lots of woo-hooing. Now they might have just come back onstage to take a bow, but did they ever do that? Not that I've ever noticed.

Call me a cynic, but if EV have their shit together, they will know about this debate. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the 'Newly Discovered Extra Encore' version appear sometime soon...

What we really need is someone who was at the show....but someone with a good memory.

I don't think it does.

The applause cuts out right after the end of R&R. But on the AUD, the applause goes on for about 2 mins. It dips a little around 6.00, and some boos can be heard...but then right at the end, the cheering intensifies, with lots of woo-hooing. Now they might have just come back onstage to take a bow, but did they ever do that? Not that I've ever noticed.

Call me a cynic, but if EV have their shit together, they will know about this debate. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the 'Newly Discovered Extra Encore' version appear sometime soon...

What we really need is someone who was at the show....but someone with a good memory.

Yer last statement is about the only way we'll really know for sure, I s'pose...it also wouldn't surprise me if you were correct regarding some rival bootleg company to EVSD coming out with a SUPER DUPER NEW AND IMPROVED!!!!!!! May 30 SBD that would mysteriously include the 'lost' second encore. I seem to recall Beezlebub pulling a similar shenanigan with their release of the May 26 SBD; on the original EVSD boot (Bringing The House Down) there was a cut in "No Quarter" patched with the AUD source that miraculously wasn't there on the Beezlebub release (IIRC they faked it by patching in a different night's SBD) so it's not as if there isn't precedent for that kinda thing...

Yer last statement is about the only way we'll really know for sure, I s'pose...it also wouldn't surprise me if you were correct regarding some rival bootleg company to EVSD coming out with a SUPER DUPER NEW AND IMPROVED!!!!!!! May 30 SBD that would mysteriously include the 'lost' second encore. I seem to recall Beezlebub pulling a similar shenanigan with their release of the May 26 SBD; on the original EVSD boot (Bringing The House Down) there was a cut in "No Quarter" patched with the AUD source that miraculously wasn't there on the Beezlebub release (IIRC they faked it by patching in a different night's SBD) so it's not as if there isn't precedent for that kinda thing...

i really don't know much about Beez label...what i know is they have released the BEST version so far of the 5/30/77 AUD tape....so it's a shame EV did

such horrible patch in NQ...and yes i do hope Beez will do their version of the New Sbd which i guess will shine over Ev.........

i really don't know much about Beez label...

All you really need to know about the 'Beez' is it's some guy(s) who pretty much just downloads the shows off of torrent sites, loads 'em up with a shitload of (unnecessary) EQ, compression, etc, and burns them onto fucking CDRs; they're not even proper 'silver' bootleg CD's, which they then charge an arm and a leg for, and/or give out copies to the guys over at Underground Uprising who almost always give the Beezlebub releases absolutely sterling reviews whether they're worthy of 'em or not :lol::rolleyes:

Accusations have been made over the years over exactly who in the Zeppelin community is in cahoots with Beezlebub (similar accusations were made in regard to the now defunct TCOLZ label, yers truly being one of the accusers incidentally) but nothing in either case has been definitely proven.

All you really need to know about the 'Beez' is it's some guy(s) who pretty much just downloads the shows off of torrent sites, loads 'em up with a shitload of (unnecessary) EQ, compression, etc, and burns them onto fucking CDRs; they're not even proper 'silver' bootleg CD's, which they then charge an arm and a leg for, and/or give out copies to the guys over at Underground Uprising who almost always give the Beezlebub releases absolutely sterling reviews whether they're worthy of 'em or not :lol::rolleyes:

Accusations have been made over the years over exactly who in the Zeppelin community is in cahoots with Beezlebub (similar accusations were made in regard to the now defunct TCOLZ label, yers truly being one of the accusers incidentally) but nothing in either case has been definitely proven.

So in other words, they're shit?

Recycled shit, if ya wanna split hairs... :lol:

Ha, I'll make sure to avoid their stuff then.

On a different note, this may seem like an odd request, but does anyone know where I can get ahold of the audience sources of 1977/05/26 and 1977/05/28?

I finally got Double Shot today.

I was planning to go right to the 30th, since it’s a show I love, but some chronological tendency in me took over and I listened to the 25th instead.

I thought the sound for most of the show was excellent - clear, and balanced, with a lot of richness and depth (so superior to the dryness of Bringing The House Down). You can tell this even before the band starts playing - there is a spacious feel to the cheers of the audience. Their very enthusiastic presence in the recording seems unusually prominent for a soundboard and gives the show a great atmosphere. If I was forced to nitpick about the sound, I would say that Bonzo is slightly low in the mix , or maybe not as crisp sounding as I’d like. Also, during some of the

acoustic set, I think the guitar and mandolin should have been higher (although the mandolin in BoE is beautifully recorded, maybe the best I’ve heard). There is an audience patch in Bron Yr Stomp which sounds absolutely freakish - at least it made me laugh - and emphasizes the usual fireworks.

As for the performance, I think it was generally very good, and in some places excellent. The first section of the show and the beginning of the acoustic set - SRTS to BoE - is strong. Jimmy takes a unique approach to some of the songs, especially the solos. The solo in SIBLY starts slightly earlier than usual with a sustained high bent note and continues in a very emotional vein. On IMTOD, his playing style is very aggressive and has that 77 feel of teetering over a cliff and coming back just in time. Jimmy shines on mandolin during Battle of Evermore, and as I said, the instrument has a very nice sound in this recording.

Rob is in great form on the 25th. People talk a lot about his voice recovering some degree of its high range in ‘77, but I also like the lower range that his voice had acquired by this time. There is a richness and maturity to it that makes it more emotionally powerful in my opinion. He gets slightly annoyed at the monitors a few times, but in general he maintains a nice warm vibe with the crowd during the show.

I think Bonzo is having a fine night as well. In general, he’s not as showy as he can be some other nights, but in the dynamic breaks and pauses of the songs, he’s as inventive and powerful as ever.

Jones is above average, which is saying a lot for him. NQ had some sections that had me going “WTF” but I thought the high points of the jam - there were many, and they were unique - made it a good journey (and this applies to Jimmy’s work in the song as well).

Ten Years Gone seems to be a highlight for some of the early reviewers. I liked it very much, but it probably wasn’t my favorite.

After Battle of Evermore, things take a dip for a little while. I think the ‘77 versions of Going To California are usually gorgeous and quite powerful, but it seems too relaxed and casual here, and this slightly lazy vibe continues through Black Country Woman and Bron-Yr-Stomp. The unbalanced mix and the freakish audience patch doesn’t help. The show - and the recording - returns to a high level after that.

Jimmy delivers a nice and relatively brief WS/BMS, and the Kashmir that follows is very strong. The Out on the Tiles intro to Moby Dick is precise and tight - which is unusual, I think - and Bonzo starts his solo faster and more energetic than usual. It slows down and meanders maddeningly (like usual) in the hand drumming part...but the phased tympani section is stunning. Even if you’re someone who usually skips Moby Dick, you should at least check this section out once. Introduced by a long trippy roll, and enhanced by further effects as it goes on, I think it sounds absolutely awesome. Not a phoned in version, believe me.

The guitar solo isn’t everybody’s thing, but I think it’s stunning as well. The effects are very well-controlled tonight, and the bow section is disciplined and intense. Some annoying hiss from an effects pedal accompanies the first minute or so, and there seems to be an audience patch for some of it, which highlights the stoned “Whoah”s during the bow slaps.

A tight, fast and aggressive Achilles follows. It’s truly awesome, in my opinion, and I think in time it will start to appear as a contender on future “Best Versions” lists.

Stairway and Whole Lotta Love/Rock and Roll are solid ’77 versions. They’re good, but they didn’t blow me away on first listen.

It was a real treat to hear this show, especially when I ordered this release entirely on the strength of the 30th.

Well, vive la difference, as they say. I think 5/25 is a better show (performance wise) than 5/30. Listen to ALS on 5/25. Has much more energy and power

You are wrong IMHO. During ALS from the 5/25 show Jimmy is a bit sloppy and his fingers just stick on the guitar's frets but on the other side 5/30 is a damn good version with Robert's voice in a better mood.Jimmy nailed the solo too.

Well, i have given a VERY carefoul listen to both shows in their entirity on my Hi-Fi system and the last show from Landover seems to be the most enjoyable one.

In addition,the sounboard quality of 25 May isn't so great(a bit muddy and flat) and during the acoustic set the mandolin and the acoustic guitar seem to be much lower in the mix.

I will wait for Godfather's Edition to come out because i am not so pleased with what EV has done.

Archived