Do Zeppelin Fans like the Grateful Dead?

scythe

Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the grateful dead?

• I don't know who I love more, Zeppelin or Grateful Dead!
    • Yes, I have them on my IPOD
    • They did a couple good songs...I guess.
    • This is a joke, right?

I got the idea for this poll from another thread.

They're not my cup of tea but they do have a huge following. I mean, it is a big deal when they name ice cream after you! haha. Just wondering if people who are into Led Zeppelin are also into The Grateful Dead.

Honestly, comparing the Dead to Led Zeppelin is like comparing some Jr. High kids garage band to the New York Philharmonic.

I don't know if this particular blog has ever been posted (my apologies if it has) its worth a look - http://deadessays.bl...d-zeppelin.html

I also like what Anthony Bourdain once said about the "Dead" vs "Phish" - "that's like choosing between chlamydia or scabies". Pretty much summed up my feelings about the Dead.

Edited by Fred_Zeppelin

NO

Are you sure, Joe (Liverpool)? haha! ;)

Honestly, comparing the Dead to Led Zeppelin is like comparing some Jr. High kids garage band to the New York Philharmonic. I don't know if this particular blog has ever been posted (my apologies if it has) its worth a look - http://deadessays.bl...d-zeppelin.html I also like what Anthony Bourdain once said about the "Dead" vs "Phish" - "that's like choosing between chlamydia or scabies". Pretty much summed up my feelings about the Dead.

lol :thumbsup:

I think the The Grateful Dead music has alot to offer. I like the songwriting, improvisation, space jams, covers. I like the way they draw on the Americana songbook (blues, R&B, folk, jazz, bluegrass).

I agree with that. The OP was not comparing the two, merely asking if any Zep fans liked the GD. I love someof their extended jams and their musicianship could be pretty encyclopedic.

Honestly, comparing the Dead to Led Zeppelin is like comparing some Jr. High kids garage band to the New York Philharmonic.

The question was whether Zeppelin fans also like the Dead or not, not pitting one against the other in a contest. There is no comparison. To me they are two different genres of music.

I saw the GD in 76 and found them to be a bit boring. I guess it's the rocker chick in me that prefers something more hard hitting to the brain cells.

They're not really my thing. But I definately respect the "no 2 nights are the same" approach that they lived by.

You might catch them on an incredible night or a horrible night but... no 2 nights were ever the same.

I've only bought 1 album by them.. "Anthem Of The Sun" but I loved it. A friend played it for me and I went out and bought it the next day.. Nothing quite like it in their catalog or anyone else's for that matter.

Grate at what they did... and like ledzepfvr said...very different than Zeppelin.

Edited by the chase

The Grateful Dead may be, in the fullness of time, seen as the greatest American rock band. At this moment, I believe that they are. Shouts of protests immediately leap to mind: “But, but…the three B’s – Beach Boys, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield!” “The Velvets, duh!?”. No......Indeed, to posit the good ol’ Grateful Dead as the greatest of all American rock bands is a claim likely to elicit hoots of derision from the hipsters, the aficionados, the type of people who argue about who the greatest American rock band was. Many of these same snide hipsters learned irony at the feet of David Letterman. So, to assuage their fears and advance my argument, I present my appreciation in the now venerable form of the Top Ten List. In reverse order. A count-up.

Bands like the Velvet Underground or the Shaggs sucked sublimely, and largely because some of them had only a rudimentary grasp of how to operate their instruments. The Grateful Dead, on the other hand, did not have to suck. They proved their technical mettle on albums like Blues for Allah and their deft mid-seventies live shows. No, the Dead chose to be the kind of band that sometimes sucked, because when they weren’t sucking they were sometimes amazing, reaching beyond the rock genre, beyond music itself into the pure stream of human communication. They always, almost up to the end, were capable of lifting off the ground in a spectacular way. The Dead were actually several different bands over the course of their career. The band that I hear on Live/Dead is a world away from the one that I started to hear live in 1982, when I was thirteen. That 1982 Dead was a glittering dance – light, angelic. 1970 Dead is menacing, ferocious, go-for-the-throat. As I write this, I realize that my general descriptions of the band’s 1982 and 1970 styles would be the same if I were to describe how I hear Jerry Garcia’s guitar playing in those two periods. The same adjectives. This makes sense because Jerry Garcia was always the prime mover of the Grateful Dead. As regards his guitar playing, wherever it is, so is the Dead. When he skitters, they skitter. When plods they plod. That’s why the Dead went so badly downhill when Garcia’s health started to fail.

American Beauty is a wonderful album. I also lean toward more adrenaline-driven music but definitely appreciate this LP.

I have been on a musician-memoir kick this last year. I read Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis (surprisingly good until the last 30 pages), Life

by Keith Richards (excellent-the first 80 pages or so have nothing to do with the band-which I thought was interesting and pretty cool), One Train Later by Andy Summers (WOW! One of my favorite 20 books of all-time, regardless of genre, and I'm not the world's biggest Police fan), Not Dead And Not For Sale by Scott Weiland (ew), and Searching For The Sound by Phil Lesh, bassist for the Dead.

The Lesh book is not that well-written, but the parallels between both them and Zeppelin are striking, particularly the toll substance abuse took once fame occurred and the tours and shows got bigger and bigger.

I don't think it's either/or. There is plenty I dislike about the Grateful Dead, but American Beauty is stunning, in my opinion.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

They are two of my favorite bands ever! What could they have in common? A lot actually! For one thing both bands have a great respect for and encyclopedic knowledge of all kinds of good music, rock, blues, jazz, world, folk, etc. Both bands have some of the most loyal, obsessive fans in the world. But the main thing that makes me a total fan of both bands is that they both are AWESOME to see live. Both of these bands were willing to take great risks when playing live, no two shows were alike and music magic happened because of it.

I like those kinds of bands: LZ, the Dead, Allmans, Zappa, Cream, Gov't Mule and the like. Kinda funny that I HATE so called "Jam Bands", Phish, Leftover Salmon, Widespread Panic, moe., Rusted Root and String Cheese Incident just leave me bored.

Edited by chef free

Led Zeppelin liked the Grateful Dead's St. Stephen enough to jam on a bit of it in 1973 during The Crunge in a Whole Lotta Love medley. I don't remember which show, maybe Salt Lake City or Detroit? Plant sez "where's the St. Stephen's bridge?"

More about Zep/Dead Heads here:

Never really gave them a listen, but my uncle saw them a couple months before Garcia kicked the bucket.

I used to work witn a dead head chick. When Jerry died, her students were broken up over her loss. When I told them who he was and that he really didn't know her, they were so relieved. F'ing dead heads.