Do Zeppelin Fans like the Grateful Dead?

scythe

Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the grateful dead?

• I don't know who I love more, Zeppelin or Grateful Dead!
    • Yes, I have them on my IPOD
    • They did a couple good songs...I guess.
    • This is a joke, right?

18 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

The real kick in the balls would be Jerry Garcia greeting you at the pearly gates with a big grin and, "welcome my son, come on in, the Dead concert is about to begin. They made us the house band up here. Groovy baby"

Well, if St.Peter provides some class A acid I´ll give it a try.

But I think I am better off with the house band a few floors south, with Bonzo on the drums.....

38 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

Well, if St.Peter provides some class A acid I´ll give it a try.

But I think I am better off with the house band a few floors south, with Bonzo on the drums.....

You and me both Autumn. I'm sure the best parties and the fun people are all down there anyway 🙂 

I love the Dead and have seen then multiple times since 1989. Love how they decide the setlist shortly before they hit the stage. That said, many Deadheads I have met do not like Zeppelin and can be very snobby about it. Always annoys me for some reason. 

2 hours ago, Wolfman said:

I love the Dead and have seen then multiple times since 1989. Love how they decide the setlist shortly before they hit the stage. That said, many Deadheads I have met do not like Zeppelin and can be very snobby about it. Always annoys me for some reason. 

You're not the only one:

• 7 months later...

I knew a deadhead in the early 90s who hated Zeppelin, he said the only song he could listen to  was 'hot dog'. He also said that back in the day all of his deadhead friends hated Zeppelin. When the music was coming out you couldn't like both bands.

Now more recently the same thing, I know a Black Sabbath fan who mocks Led Zeppelin and thinks they are a total joke. He said basically the same thing, his Sabbath buddies all hated Zeppelin. You couldn't like both bands when the music was coming out.

Its different today, 50 odd years later young music fans with money buy all the CDs they want and they are free to like everything they buy. Both of these guys are older than me they were around when the music was still coming out, i guess back then you had to choose sides and wear a jacket with the band logo too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, chef free said:

Did the Grateful Dead's gunplay antics scare Led Zeppelin out of Herb Green's photo studio in January of 1969?  

Looks like it!  Maybe Pig Pen didn't care for Bonzo's tough guy routine...

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2012/05/dead-vs-led-zeppelin.html

Interesting read, thanks for that. Jerry and Jimmy have one major thing in common - they both play from the heart. Beyond that, it's apples and oranges. I was never a huge Dead fan when they were around but saw them a bunch of times anyway because I knew so many people who loved them. Every single show I saw felt like an event. The energy there was absolutely visceral. It was clear there was something going on between the band and audience that wasn't just drug-related. I finally "got" the Dead, ironically, one week after Jerry died. A friend of mine gave me one of their '77 shows to listen to (I forget which one), and the proverbial light bulb came on.   

• 3 weeks later...