Eric Clapton at the 02?

To pay his respects to the man that signed Cream?

You would think that wouldn't you, why no Stones etc but I can hazard a guess that ONCE ZEPPELIN WERE DOING A WHOLE SHOW, their ego's got in the way knowing that no band on the planet could follow them and thus relegating them to mere by standers !!

Clapton may be one of the best of all time, but him dissapproving of Zep's "take" on the blues is sour grapes. Clapton is a great blues imitator while Zeppelin took the blues, turned it inside out, and practically created a new genre of rock music.

Clapton is jealous pure and simple

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Clapton's work with Mayall was the blueprint for all blues infused rock that followed, Zep included, if anything it's the other way around.

'Walter's Walk' may be vexing and perplexing, but he is accurate. EC was at the Indigo aftershow party. BTW what happened to "Moon" who reckoned he had a ticket for the Rolling Stones playing at an aftershow? Love to know what happened to THAT one. ;)

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Clapton's work with Mayall was the blueprint for all blues infused rock that followed, Zep included, if anything it's the other way around.

That was before he turned his back on it in favor of laid back stuff in the early 70s.

i

Speaking of the blues, I read somewhere not long ago that Willie Dixon was trying to sue Led Zeppein for "I Cant Quit You Babe"??? They did list him as the writer on the credits didnt they?

They ended up paying Willie $$$ and THEN adding him, after a suit was filed

That was before he turned his back on it in favor of laid back stuff in the early 70s.

An odd comment from a Zep fan considering a third of their catalog is acoustic music and retro sounding stuff. In fact it's reminiscent of what the moron critics said about Zep III and In Through The Out Door.

Clapton saying Zep wasn't pure enough, that coming from the sell out pop rock so called god. lmao he is 100% more comercial than zep and didnt have half the sales of course he is jelous. As for his blues breakers for the time good i guess, i find boring as hell to listen to, and like how he ripped of the beatles day tripper riff on that beano album.

An odd comment from a Zep fan considering a third of their catalog is acoustic music and retro sounding stuff. In fact it's reminiscent of what the moron critics said about Zep III and In Through The Out Door.

Clapton's laid back stuff is soft-rock/adult contemporary, the kind of stuff you play as muzak in a department store. It's pretty far removed from the folk rock of Zep III or the genre experimentation Zep tried out. For instance, take a song like Poor Tom. Listen to the drum track. Technically it's a folk song but the drums are as intense as anything Zep ever did.

Clapton's laid back stuff is soft-rock/adult contemporary, the kind of stuff you play as muzak in a department store. It's pretty far removed from the folk rock of Zep III or the genre experimentation Zep tried out. For instance, take a song like Poor Tom. Listen to the drum track. Technically it's a folk song but the drums are as intense as anything Zep ever did.

No more so than a large part of Plant's solo material. Just because I'm The Mood or Sea Of Love isn't hard or experimental or wouldn't fit on Disraeli Gears doesn't mean I'm going trash on Robert. Fact is like EC Zep and it's members have different facets to their careers.

'Walter's Walk' may be vexing and perplexing, but he is accurate. EC was at the Indigo aftershow party. BTW what happened to "Moon" who reckoned he had a ticket for the Rolling Stones playing at an aftershow? Love to know what happened to THAT one. ;)

Accurate as always Knebby :D

I believe this is incorrect, just hearsay that won't die.

Why on earth would he screw his own manager, Bill Curbishley, a trustee of the Ertegun Foundation, like that? Jimmy and Robert both performed at his Teenage Cancer Trust Benefit in London in 2002 and Robert again in 2005. He cancelled only AFTER the original date of November 26th was rescheduled for December 10th.

Pete Townshend Says He Is Not Performing At Tonight's Led Zeppelin Reunion

By: Howie Edelson

Pete Townshend says that despite reports that he'll be among the opening acts tonight (December 10th) in London at Led Zeppelin's reunion, he'll be sitting the show out.

Townshend posted on thewho.com saying that although he did originally intend to play in honor of Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, as the show got larger he backed out, writing "I pulled out of the Ahmet Ertegun benefit the day I heard Led Zep were performing. They really don't need me, and I will probably perform at some future event for the Ertegun Foundation. For some reason the organizers decided not to inform the public. Maybe they thought people would ask for their money back. Maybe they thought it would only be me who looked like a c***."

He went on to write: "If you are going to the show, have a great time, I am delighted Robert (Plant), Jimmy (Page), John (Paul Jones) and Jason (Bonham) are back in black. I wish them well. I will be warming up mince pies."

Pete Townshend Says He Is Not Performing At Tonight's Led Zeppelin Reunion

By: Howie Edelson

Pete Townshend says that despite reports that he'll be among the opening acts tonight (December 10th) in London at Led Zeppelin's reunion, he'll be sitting the show out.

Townshend posted on thewho.com saying that although he did originally intend to play in honor of Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, as the show got larger he backed out, writing "I pulled out of the Ahmet Ertegun benefit the day I heard Led Zep were performing. They really don't need me, and I will probably perform at some future event for the Ertegun Foundation. For some reason the organizers decided not to inform the public. Maybe they thought people would ask for their money back. Maybe they thought it would only be me who looked like a c***."

He went on to write: "If you are going to the show, have a great time, I am delighted Robert (Plant), Jimmy (Page), John (Paul Jones) and Jason (Bonham) are back in black. I wish them well. I will be warming up mince pies."

I think that is probably Pete bullshitting a little bit. The date change was the real reason for him leaving. I bet his comments about Led Zeppelin being a reason are his weird since of humor.

Speaking of the blues, I read somewhere not long ago that Willie Dixon was trying to sue Led Zeppein for "I Cant Quit You Babe"??? They did list him as the writer on the credits didnt they?

Yes they did. It was Whole Lotta Love on LZ II where they didn't credit Dixon for some of the lyrics taken.

I Can't Quit You and You Shook Me were credited to Dixon on the first album.

Jealous? Probably not. Clapton has experienced much success in his career. I see no good reason for him to be jealous of Zeppelin or Jimmy Page.

Oh I see plenty of reasons.

1. Zeppelin's huge sales figures. They dwarf Clapton's.

2. Their lengendary aura which still prevails today.

3. The fact that generation after generation of music fans still see Zeppelin as relevant.

4. The fact that a large proportion of current or up and coming groups/acts have a lot of reverance for Zeppelin and have been influenced by them.

5. 17 year old girls thinking it's cool to walk around in a Led Zeppelin t-shirt. Never seen one in a Clapton tee. LOL.

I think that is probably Pete bullshitting a little bit. The date change was the real reason for him leaving. I bet his comments about Led Zeppelin being a reason are his weird since of humor.

Townshend stated early October that he wasn't going to be performing, well before Jimmy's accident.

That's the truth! Plant said during the O2 concert that everyone was playing Hendrix music in the clubs before they formed Zep, and Hendrix was a big fan of Clapton. That still won't take anything away from Zeppelin though.

Archived