Led Zeppelin v Black Sabbath

weslgarlic

It's confirmed Mr. Garlic...you're a fucking idiot.

For one thing, Led Zeppelin had already released their first two albums before Black Sabbath even arrived in 1970. Do you really think Led Zeppelin gave a rat's ass who else was releasing an album on whatever date? Keep in mind that for four albums in a row(Led Zep III to Physical Graffiti), album art delays necessitated Led Zeppelin to keep changing the release dates.

The Beatles and Rolling Stones could have been releasing albums the same day and Led Zeppelin wasn't going to budge. They certainly weren't going to move for the likes of Black Sabbath, friends or not.

That's it...I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm not wasting any more time on any of your asinine threads.

I saw Sabbath in 78, on the Never Say Die tour.

Head East was their opening act.

In my opinion, and others who were with me, Head East blew Sabbath out of the water.

I had hardly heard of Head East, I remember how stunned we all were.

I never was fortunate enough to see Zeppelin live, but many of my friends did.

I can not imagine anyone blowing Zeppelin out of the water live.

Music appreciation and taste is subjective, so this is just my opinion.

Somehow, I'm not surprised by that, Bayougal.

Van Halen blew em out of the water in '78, too. Hell, when I first saw BS in 1972, I came away more impressed by the opening band Yes.

. . .Do you really think Led Zeppelin gave a rat's ass who else was releasing an album on whatever date? Keep in mind that for four albums in a row(Led Zep III to Physical Graffiti), album art delays necessitated Led Zeppelin to keep changing the release dates.

. . .

Van Halen blew em out of the water in '78, too. Hell, when I first saw BS in 1972, I came away more impressed by the opening band Yes.

I honestly have never heard of any band who released their albums according to what the competition was releasing. I would like Mr. Garlic to present his resources to back up his statement. Furthermore, I am fascinated to learn Yes and Van Halen blew away Black Sabbath. I'm fascinated because even though I enjoy heavy metal, when you stop and look at the career of Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne, what have they really done, musically speaking that is, that proved themselves to be truly talented individuals, more than just gimmick rock?

For one thing, Led Zeppelin had already released their first two albums before Black Sabbath even arrived in 1970. Do you really think Led Zeppelin gave a rat's ass who else was releasing an album on whatever date? Keep in mind that for four albums in a row(Led Zep III to Physical Graffiti), album art delays necessitated Led Zeppelin to keep changing the release dates.

The Beatles and Rolling Stones could have been releasing albums the same day and Led Zeppelin wasn't going to budge. They certainly weren't going to move for the likes of Black Sabbath, friends or not.

That's it...I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm not wasting any more time on any of your asinine threads.

So sorry mr strider , Im seemed have got the wrath of your barbed tongue,If you don't like my threads why bother giving them the oxygen of your precious time, Why not stick to the threads you DO regard or even start up your own AMAZING thread others could worship at

That's a little harsh...

Black Sabbath were in very rough shape in 1978.. Ozzy was a mess because his father had recently died.

Bill Ward and Ozzy were having severe drug and alcohol problems.. VH was young and hungry and were copying Sabbath's show format.

Van Halen loved Sabbath. They were going to call their band Rat Salad at one point after the Sabbath song.

Sabbath have had more of a lasting impact than Head East no matter how good they were..

Yes would give any band a run for it's money.

I've always believed there's a lot more to Sabbath than "metal". There's a lot of blues and jazz influences in their music.

Give an example of jazz influence. Name one or more Black Sabbath songs that are influenced by jazz.

Give an example of jazz influence. Name one or more Black Sabbath songs that are influenced by jazz.

The Wizard

Wicked World

Air Dance

Bill Ward's main drumming influences are Jazz drummers..

you can hear the swing in his playing all over the place.

In my opinion, and others who were with me, Head East blew Sabbath out of the water.

If you think that was being blown out of the water, the unfortunate Sabs chose an upbeat 4 peice combo to accompany them on The Never Say Die tour of the UK. "ladies and Gentleman all the way from the US of A- VAN HALEN"

The poor Sabs - never stood a chance :D

Bill Ward: From Jazz to Black Sabbath

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=19191#.UPQk3W9WySo

Being influenced by dynamic music, I felt quite suited for blues and jazz which is pretty much what we really liked to play, especially more traditional blues.

Black Sabbath has had a serious influence not only in rock music, but increasingly in jazz as well. This can be validated in free jazz circles by highly acclaimed musicians such as pianist Gust Burns and saxophonist Gregory Reynolds who enthusiastically acknowledge Sabbath's music as "real jazz." The music on Burns' and Reynolds' Ficus Trio CD, recorded with drummer Greg Campbell, demonstrates clearly the power and integrity of real creative musicianship. Multiple reviews from BBC Radio to Amazon.com to free jazz distributor Forced Exposure state that Black Sabbath's music runs the gamut from blues to jazz to rock and is highly innovative and influential. Experiencing the music first hand by creative musicians who acknowledge and embrace their influence, this is a blatant understatement.

From their early days under the name Earth the musicians in this band—Ozzy Osbourne, vocals; Tony Iommi, guitar; Geezer Butler, bass; and Bill Ward, drums—created their music through extended improvisations based in rock, blues, and jazz. The influence that Black Sabbath has brought, not only to rock but increasingly to jazz also, has fueled the fire for musicians to play hard, take creative risks, and to color outside of the lines.

Head East?. I have an album by them up in my attic "Flat as a Pancake?" Good name for a band with one decent song....Howzit go..lemme think...Save my life I'm goin' down for the last time...Ah yes "Never Been Any Reason"...Qute apt really cos there's never been any reason to buy anything else by them..

Head East?. I have an album by them up in my attic "Flat as a Pancake?" Good name for a band with one decent song....Howzit go..lemme think...Save my life I'm goin' down for the last time...Ah yes "Never Been Any Reason"...Qute apt really cos there's never been any reason to buy anything else by them..

I honestly never followed Head East after we saw them in 78. They just played that night like it mattered and Sabbath did not.

I think we had really built ourselves up prior to seeing Sabbath, we told ourselves that it was going to be this great show and it wasn't.

I appreciate that the band was about to break-up, and members were in a bad spot.

I am not a huge Sabbath fan, but my husband still is.

I concur with that statement. I was witness to this event at the Coventry Theatre gig on that tour and even the most die hard Sabbath fans were leaving that night saying they had just seen their band blown away by the support act. They certainly were and I don't even like Van Halen!

Thank you. This was very jazzy! The reason why I asked for a jazz influence is because finding rock and roll with a blues-based influence is easy to come by, much easier because its far more common that rock and roll influenced by other forms of music. In fact, I read somewhere how 85 to 90 percent of rock and roll is blues-based.

Thank you, again.

Thank you. This was very jazzy! The reason why I asked for a jazz influence is because finding rock and roll with a blues-based influence is easy to come by, much easier because its far more common that rock and roll influenced by other forms of music. In fact, I read somewhere how 85 to 90 percent of rock and roll is blues-based.

Thank you, again.

You're welcome.

You might like this band, too. They supported Sabbath on their 1973 tour and were managed by Tony Iommi.

Their music is a mix of progressive rock and jazz rock.

Things didn't work out for them though, there's an article on them here: http://www.alexgitli...necromandus.htm

It's a shame as they were obviously very talented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHjKyj9VUTc

You're welcome.

You might like this band, too. They supported Sabbath on their 1973 tour and were managed by Tony Iommi.

Things didn't work out for them though, there's an article on them here: http://www.alexgitli...necromandus.htm

Not bad. I could listen to that one again. Made me think of Achilles' Last Stand, which I think is as close as Led Zeppelin ever got to progressive. They may have not been as successful as they would have liked to have been, but the sad truth is there are so many bands who never made it. Thanks again, Ady!

You're welcome.

Interesting. Hey Ady, was this on Black Sabbath's European tour? The reason I ask is that when I saw the Sabs in 1973 they had Gentle Giant as their opener.

Made me think of Achilles' Last Stand, which I think is as close as Led Zeppelin ever got to progressive.

I think Zep had some prog tendencies, but like so many other influences they were able to seamlessly blend it into their own style. No Quarter, TSRTS, In the Light all have alot of the hallmarks of prog. Even in some of their less epic pieces, they have some pretty unique arrangements which seem to really push the boundaries.

To weigh in on the Sabbath/Zep debate. I doubt they ever adjusted release dates based on conversations with the Sabs. Never heard of the Stones and Beatles doing that either, and in fact always gathered there was more of a rivalry with them.

Sabbath was great in their own right, but I don't think they hang with Zeppelin album for album. As for the album for album comparison, I think Paranoid/II is a pretty close competition and the closest of all their albums.

Made me think of Achilles' Last Stand, which I think is as close as Led Zeppelin ever got to progressive.

I get a strong Zeppelin vibe as well, especially during the guitar solo. It reminds me of "The Song Remains the Same" version of "No Quarter". The guitarist was Barry Dunnery, brother of Francis who used to be in Robert Plant's band. He's dead now, as are the bassist and singer, sadly. Only the drummer is still alive.

They may have not been as successful as they would have liked to have been, but the sad truth is there are so many bands who never made it.

Too true!

Interesting. Hey Ady, was this on Black Sabbath's European tour? The reason I ask is that when I saw the Sabs in 1973 they had Gentle Giant as their opener.

Are you sure that wasn't 1972, Strider? Take a look here: http://www.black-sab...dates/1973tour/ It lists every date of the "Volume 4" tour and who the support acts were. Necromandus played on the UK leg of the tour only.

Archived