Fruit or Veg you Don't Like

Old Shep

I have always enjoyed my fruit & veg, and of course they are very good for us. But some of them are not so nice, so which ones do you dislike?

btw judging by the Bon Appetit! thread, there are probably a few here who never eat any veg (unless it's potato) or fruit (unless it's in ice cream or a milkshake). In this case, please don't just say you hate them all. Try to choose your least favourites, assuming you've actually ever tried any.

My choices are okra (or 'lady's fingers'), horrible slimy muck....and pomegranate, which tastes nice but is a total PITA to eat.

Really? You surprise me. Very nice with prawns, or mixed with tuna in a sarnie. And I assume this means you don't like guacamole? Mexican food's rubbish really, but this is one of its redeeming features IMO.

Not sure if it's a fruit or a veg, but then I don't suppose you care, lol.

Avacado - never got into this solid putty like tasteless tack.

:o

Very surprised by this CP. But maybe it's due to location location location. I can guarantee that you'd find plenty of delicious uses for avocados if you lived here in California.

The veggies I don't like are hominy and cauliflower. Not a big fan of lima beans or garbanzo beans, either.

As for fruit...I've tried and tried to think of a fruit I don't like but I cannot think of one. The best I can do is say that if I were to rank all the fruits in order of preference, grapefruit would probably finish last. But I don't hate grapefruit.

What can I say...I love all fruits! But then, they always say us Californians are fruity.

i love fruit and veg, with one exception - chilli.

never understood why people think it is nice to have your mouth burn while eating. it takes over all other flavours, too......

my faves would be sweet potato in vegies, and strawberries, mangoes and nectarines in fruit. :)

Don't like sweet potatoes (just doesn't sound right does it?) um...bean sprouts (super gross) brussel sprouts, anything with 'sprouts' in it. Not a big fan of cauliflower. I can't stand tomatoes. I ate them so much as a kid I think I burned myself out on them oh & mushrooms....yuck! :thumbdown:

Don't like sweet potatoes (just doesn't sound right does it?) um...bean sprouts (super gross) brussel sprouts, anything with 'sprouts' in it. Not a big fan of cauliflower. I can't stand tomatoes. I ate them so much as a kid I think I burned myself out on them oh & mushrooms....yuck! :thumbdown:

:o oh my. LZG

:o oh my. LZG

Shocked right? Trust me, I have tried them to actually know that I don't like them. I didn't just say random things.

Now, the veggies & fruits I love are: grapes, oranges, apples, kiwi's, broccoli, green beans, peas, & many more. I don't want to name them all.

I do not like beets, radishes

Yeah, ghastly stuff. Totally unacceptable.

I see a couple of people have mentioned cauliflower. I agree that, as a stand-alone, boiled veg accompaniment, it is totally rank. Ditto cauliflower cheese - WTF. But have you people tried putting it in curries, or as a cauliflower bhaji? Indian cuisine is cauli's true milieu, IMO.

I discovered later in life that roasting cauliflower, brussels sprouts. and beets do wonders for their appeal. They were the things alot of our Mothers didn't know how to cook correctly.

Olive Oil, salt and pepper is all you need.

I like to slice the brussels sprouts in half and roast until the edges are crispy. Sometimes I'll add some lemon or balsamic vinegar after cooking, sometimes not.

Did some roasted curry cauliflower in the last few weeks, very good.

Beets - if you wrap them in foil, the skin just rubs off after cooking.

Okra - agreed there, the consistency when cooked ruins it.

Beets have a interesting side effect if you eat a healthy amount. If you forget you ate them, you might get into a panic until you remember.

I discovered later in life that roasting cauliflower, brussels sprouts. and beets do wonders for their appeal. They were the things alot of our Mothers didn't know how to cook correctly.

Olive Oil, salt and pepper is all you need.

I like to slice the brussels sprouts in half and roast until the edges are crispy. Sometimes I'll add some lemon or balsamic vinegar after cooking, sometimes not.

Did some roasted curry cauliflower in the last few weeks, very good.

Beets - if you wrap them in foil, the skin just rubs off after cooking.

Okra - agreed there, the consistency when cooked ruins it.

Beets have a interesting side effect if you eat a healthy amount. If you forget you ate them, you might get into a panic until you remember.

Rather stick to green beans, asparagus, winter and summer squash, peas, mixed, corn, broccoli

Yeah, ghastly stuff. Totally unacceptable.

I see a couple of people have mentioned cauliflower. I agree that, as a stand-alone, boiled veg accompaniment, it is totally rank. Ditto cauliflower cheese - WTF. But have you people tried putting it in curries, or as a cauliflower bhaji? Indian cuisine is cauli's true milieu, IMO.

The spirit I took your post in was that you mainly meant what veggies and fruit we didn't like on their own, eaten fresh or simply steamed or sauteed.

So when I say I like carrots, I'm not talking just carrot cake, but that I like to eat fresh, raw carrots.

Hell, you can mask just about anything if you know how to cook. I dare say I could get LZG to eat mushrooms and like them without her even knowing.

Anyway, in both LZG and Old Shep's honour, for lunch today I had cream of mushroom soup and a beet salad. :D

I don't totally dislike these, it's usually the way they and many other fruits and vegetables are cooked or presented bland that are turn offs.

Veggie - Spinach

Fruit - Grapefruit

What is it with people who pour salt on to everything and kill the taste rather than enhance it?

Salt and pepper in very small amounts on Tomatoes is very nice though.

Thankfully my partner is a wonderful cook and does wonders in the kitchen.

BTW, Mushrooms are neither fruit nor vegetable, they are fungi and are excellent in just about anything, IMO.

Avacado and lemon juice used as a spread is better than butter or margarine (vegetable oils), for maintaining low cholesterol.

I owe my very good health to my mum for making me eat vegetables as a youngster that I didn't particularly like and have since acquired tastes for them and more as I got older and I'm feeling the benefits of them now.

Archived