Best and worst tribute bands...

darrin_h2000

Was fortunate to see Zoso tonight, and Amstel is right, the drummer is fantastic! So much energy and talent, the drums have to be spot on if you're going to play LZ! I am in awe of how the guitar player looked like Jimmy and had every move and mannerism down pat! I expect a tribute band to pay attention to the details of the music (which Zoso does). I don't expect them to look or act like the band members, but when they do, it's pretty remarkable!

post-26295-0-09773000-1406266972_thumb.j

Was fortunate to see Zoso tonight, and Amstel is right, the drummer is fantastic! So much energy and talent, the drums have to be spot on if you're going to play LZ! I am in awe of how the guitar player looked like Jimmy and had every move and mannerism down pat! I expect a tribute band to pay attention to the details of the music (which Zoso does). I don't expect them to look or act like the band members, but when they do, it's pretty remarkable!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I told you Greg Thopson is a beast on drums - I'm happy you had a chance to see him play live.

However, I think the singer is brutal!

Edited by Amstel

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I saw Zoso live last summer near my home, and I largely agree with Ddlladner's assessment.

What I'm still waiting to see, though, is a tribute band who can faithfully recreate one of Zep's live performances complete with improv's, etc. When I saw Zoso, they largely played the album versions of the songs note for note

I told you Greg Thopson is a beast on drums - I'm happy you had a chance to see him play live.

Yes, he was pretty amazing! The drummer for GTLO is really good, too...I hope you get a chance to see them. Think you would like their singer, too! :)

What I'm still waiting to see, though, is a tribute band who can faithfully recreate one of Zep's live performances complete with improv's, etc. When I saw Zoso, they largely played the album versions of the songs note for note

GTLO also played the studio versions, which is ok with me, but I agree it would be interesting to see them perform a live LZ show. I thought there was a tribute band that does that, but I don't recall their name.

Well, the best Zeppelin tribute band has to be Mr Jimmy - seeing as they feature Jimmy's long lost illegitimate son - Jimmy Sakurai. The actual Jimmy is apparently a fan...having seen them in Tokyo; as reported on Ross Halfin's website...

http://www.rosshalfin.com/diary/october-2012/diary-october-2012.php

http://www.mrjimmy.jp/english.htm

Bingo.

The guy is completely mental (in the very best way). He had a 'Firm' cover band for a time - now THAT's loyalty.

Get the Led Out is PHENOMENAL!! They aren't going for the look at all....but the sound is absolutely SUPERB!! I have seen ZOSO, ok, not great. Tonight I get to see Led Zepplica. Will see how they do! I guess it depends on what you want in a tribute band. For me, I prefer musical quality over looks.....

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Led Heads- I am the drummer for Mothership-THE Led Zeppelin Tribute Band. There is a band with the name Mothership in Canada( and I think Italy) but we're in Delaware, USA. I saw someone post on here about wanting to see a band that goes for the live versions. I put the band together with that exact frame of mind. My philosophy was pretty simple...Led Zeppelin didn't play like the record live, why should we? We go for the live "feel". The whole 'tight but loose' theory and it's been really successful. Plus, I'd be bored stiff playing the LP versions note for note every single time. I CAN do it but it takes all the fun out of it IMO. I'd like to try and get some videos up but there aren't many so I'll have to look around. In my opinion, NO ONE nails the record versions like GTLO! I've jammed with Paul Hammond and Billy Childs from GTLO on a couple of occasions and it was stellar! They are great guys and amazing players! Like GTLO, we do not go for a "look". When I see the band Kashmir's clip in this thread, I can't get past the blonde hooker wig or the fact that he doesn't sound like Plant any more than Jim Nabors would. I don't think the look or dressing up lends anything to the performance. I mean, a band could absolutely BLOW playing the music but look good doing it? Nah, I'll pass. LOL Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Edited by Mothership Drummer

Hi Led Heads- I am the drummer for Mothership-THE Led Zeppelin Tribute Band. There is a band with the name Mothership in Canada( and I think Italy) but we're in Delaware, USA. I saw someone post on here about wanting to see a band that goes for the live versions. I put the band together with that exact frame of mind. My philosophy was pretty simple...Led Zeppelin didn't play like the record live, why should we? We go for the live "feel". The whole 'tight but loose' theory and it's been really successful. Plus, I'd be bored stiff playing the LP versions note for note every single time. I CAN do it but it takes all the fun out of it IMO. I'd like to try and get some videos up but there aren't many so I'll have to look around. In my opinion, NO ONE nails the record versions like GTLO! I've jammed with Paul Hammond and Billy Childs from GTLO on a couple of occasions and it was stellar! They are great guys and amazing players! Like GTLO, we do not go for a "look". When I see the band Kashmir's clip in this thread, I can't get past the blonde hooker wig or the fact that he doesn't sound like Plant any more than Jim Nabors would. I don't think the look or dressing up lends anything to the performance. I mean, a band could absolutely BLOW playing the music but look good doing it? Nah, I'll pass. LOL Anyway, those are my thoughts.

I also meant to add that we play 3 1/2 to 4 hours shows with no break. (and no "help" to keep going) LOL.

Really? I'd love to see some videos of some Dazed and Confused, since that's the major song that Zeppelin changed all the time.

Do you replicate some of Zeppelin's setlists or do you do your own?

Really? I'd love to see some videos of some Dazed and Confused, since that's the major song that Zeppelin changed all the time.

Do you replicate some of Zeppelin's setlists or do you do your own?

Hi Stairway! (Love the username!). At our debut show in '12, We did a really cool thing. We played Achilles up to about the middle where there's a part of ALS that fits perfectly into the "San Francisco" part of Dazed from TSRTS so we basically medleyed ALS into Dazed and took Dazed from the San Fran piece through to the end. Somewhere there is audio and video from the crowd I'm sure but the people I actually hired to film and record it turned in a steaming pile of crap so I have an engineer doing his best with very little. Haha. But to answer your question, yes there is a video of us doing Dazed at another show but it's not the same.I will try to find it for you.

Though it's been discussed, we haven't replicated any specific tour sets as of yet. It's a good idea but it's also predictable in the way that fans will already know what to expect. That's kinda where we are with it at this point. I'm at work at the moment but when I get home, I have all the set lists saved so I'd be happy to share them to give you an idea.

Speaking of Dazed, I just remembered at another show we actually started Dazed, played the studio version, bow solo, and I came up with the idea that at the end of the bow solo, instead of going into the "jam", he could go into the In The Evening intro, so coming out of the bow solo, we did 2 verses of ITE, then went back into Dazed and finished. There's video of this somewhere too I'm told. Will work on finding that for you as well if you like.

Hi Stairway! (Love the username!). At our debut show in '12, We did a really cool thing. We played Achilles up to about the middle where there's a part of ALS that fits perfectly into the "San Francisco" part of Dazed from TSRTS so we basically medleyed ALS into Dazed and took Dazed from the San Fran piece through to the end. Somewhere there is audio and video from the crowd I'm sure but the people I actually hired to film and record it turned in a steaming pile of crap so I have an engineer doing his best with very little. Haha. But to answer your question, yes there is a video of us doing Dazed at another show but it's not the same.I will try to find it for you.

Though it's been discussed, we haven't replicated any specific tour sets as of yet. It's a good idea but it's also predictable in the way that fans will already know what to expect. That's kinda where we are with it at this point. I'm at work at the moment but when I get home, I have all the set lists saved so I'd be happy to share them to give you an idea.

Speaking of Dazed, I just remembered at another show we actually started Dazed, played the studio version, bow solo, and I came up with the idea that at the end of the bow solo, instead of going into the "jam", he could go into the In The Evening intro, so coming out of the bow solo, we did 2 verses of ITE, then went back into Dazed and finished. There's video of this somewhere too I'm told. Will work on finding that for you as well if you like.

See, that's exactly what most of the other zeppelin tribute bands miss. Zeppelin were all about the unexpected. Do you have an official website?

See, that's exactly what most of the other zeppelin tribute bands miss. Zeppelin were all about the unexpected. Do you have an official website?

Exactly! Which is why I created the band with that exact vision in mind. I'm SO glad to hear that someone appreciates that approach. We don't have an official website(yet). But we do have a Facebook page. It's 'Mothership-THE Led Zeppelin Tribute Band'. You have to search it just they way I quoted or you'll get other pages. I haven't been on in a while so I'm not sure what's new but I think there may even be some vids on the page if you scroll a bit. Check it out and give it a "like". If you have trouble, I can send you a link.

On a side note: Whole Lotta Love is the one we REALLY change around the most. More than Dazed. I can look for that too.

• 10 months later...

For a unique twist on Zeppelin check out AfroZep. Hailing from Chicago and Denver , they fuse African rhythms and grooves into Zep tunes. If youre a fan of Plants recent performances check them out. Not trying to imitate something of the past but rather advance the music in a new direction similarly to the way Zep did with a lot of their blues covers

• 3 months later...

If any of you get's a chance to see Get The Led Out... GO! They tour all over. They are absolute MONEY! PERFECT, dynamic POWERFUL versions of the album cuts with full instrumentation. 7 people playing most of the time... sometimes three guitars. They left us 1,500 people a sweaty mess! I danced throughout the entire set. It's BEYOND amazing how wonderful the entire Zep catalog is.Am I gonna be sore tomorroww..... If I say to you Tomorrow....... so good.

21 hours ago, BUK said:

If any of you get's a chance to see Get The Led Out... GO! They tour all over. They are absolute MONEY! PERFECT, dynamic POWERFUL versions of the album cuts with full instrumentation. 7 people playing most of the time... sometimes three guitars. They left us 1,500 people a sweaty mess! I danced throughout the entire set. It's BEYOND amazing how wonderful the entire Zep catalog is.Am I gonna be sore tomorroww..... If I say to you Tomorrow....... so good.

:yesnod: 

Happy they have made performing in Biloxi MS an annual event. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...