Tennis

weslgarlic

:thanku::yourock: You took the words out of my mouth...thank you, Black Dawg! Wes tries to portray this as an isolated incident but he's a repeat offender. I've seen him do this at least three or four other times; fobbing someone else's words and work off as his own. Cite your source, please, at all times. It's helpful to Sam to keep media organizations from harrassing this forum over uncredited copyright violations.

I, too, am glad Djokovic beat Murray; after Federer, Djokovic is my second favourite player on the men's side. Being in California, the match started at midnight(for both women's and men's finals), so I was up until the wee hours watching until the conclusion.

Poor Rick...his favourite, Maria the Grunter, didn't make it to the finals. Neither did the Williams sisters. Just a statistical anomaly? Or are we seeing the decline of the Williams/Sharapova era?

Fair enough Im not without blame , I though I'D quoted more than I had

I only saw the first two sets , I fell asleep after I'd been awake three days , Murray was holding his own but my eyes just closed

• 2 weeks later...

Nadal into Vina del Mar final

Rafael Nadal sauntered into the final of the VTR Open in Chile with a convincing straight sets victory over third seed Jeremy Chardy. Rafael Nadal sauntered into the final of the VTR Open in Chile with a convincing straight sets victory over third seed Jeremy Chardy. Nadal broke his French opponent twice in either set to wrap up a 6-2 6-2 victory in 63 minutes and set up a clash with Argentine Horacio Zeballos. The top seed has shown no ill-effects of the knee injury that sidelined him for most of the the second half of the 2012 season and has not dropped a set in Vina del Mar. Before this week, the 11-time grand slam champion had not played a competitive match since suffering a shock second-round defeat to Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon last year due to injury and a stomach virus - an illness which ruled him out of last month's Australian Open. The manner of the Nadal's victory over world number 26 Chardy will send a warning to his rivals that he may not be past his best yet and the Spaniard will attempt to cap a successful comeback by lifting his 37th clay-court trophy on Sunday. Standing in his way is the unseeded Zeballos, who reached his second ATP Tour final with a 6-3 7-6 (7/4) success over compatriot and eighth seed Carlos Berlocq. The unheralded Zeballos has also had a week to remember, knocking out fourth and fifth seeds Pablo Andujar and Albert Ramos respectively in the last two days. He was still the underdog against Berlocq and although he twice failed to serve out the match in the second set, he held his nerve in the tie-break to reach his first final since finishing as a runner-up at the St Petersburg Open in 2009.

http://t.sport.uk.msn.com/tennis/nadal-into-vina-del-mar-final

Edited by weslgarlic

hey if your my only fan .... I want a free holiday in Canada

Wes, i think you probably have a ton of fans....more than you know..........you should ask everyone.

as for a free trip to Canada, you should know that with our economy, nothing is free.

Wes, i think you probably have a ton of fans....more than you know..........you should ask everyone.

as for a free trip to Canada, you should know that with our economy, nothing is free.

what about you don't get anything without asking .... actually there a few Japanese forum members I would n't mind an holiday there either

what about you don't get anything without asking .... actually there a few Japanese forum members I would n't mind an holiday there either

Wes, maybe you should be the first to invite all of us to your place? That may start things off......

• 1 month later...

Murray annoyed at stupid grunt

ANDY MURRAY cruised past Carlos Berlocq at Indian Wells — but accused his opponent of unnecessary grunting.

Murray won the match 7-6 6-4 to progress through to the quarter-finals of the BNP Paribas Open but the Scot was far from impressed by the Argentine’s conduct.

After Berlocq had criticised Murray for taking too long between points, the world No3 responded by complaining to the umpire about the noise the South American was making.

Speaking after the match, Murray suggested Berlocq had been deliberately loud at key moments.

He said: “It was extremely, extremely loud, more than what I have experienced from any other player on the tour.

“It’s like sometimes silence and then it comes out of nowhere. It’s a bit of a shock.

“That’s what I don’t understand. To go from nothing to the loudest grunt you can do. It makes no sense.

“When I have been on the court or off it, it’s never been something I have found to be really that off-putting.

“But if it’s going to be suggested that I am using gamesmanship by taking too long, then you can’t be making noises like that on the court. I haven’t experienced it like that before.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/tennis/4841075/Andy-Murray-annoyed-at-grunting-Carlos-Berlocq.html

• 2 weeks later...

Andy Murray scorches into semi-finals as Cilic wilts in Miami heat

Andy Murray's form has sometimes run as hot-and-cold as the weather at the Miami Masters, but as the temperature rose in Florida today, so did the quality of the Scot's play. After an error-strewn first set in which both men struggled to find their rhythm, Murray played some of his best tennis of the week to beat Marin Cilic 6-4, 6-3. In tomorrow's semi-finals, he faces the winner of last night's meeting between Tomas Berdych and Richard Gasquet.

Murray, who draped an ice towel around his neck during the changeovers, has not dropped a set in his first four matches and is now just two wins away from claiming the Miami title for the second time. Victory in Sunday's final would also result in him replacing Roger Federer as No 2 in the world rankings.

Cilic, who had knocked out Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the previous round, has now lost 15 times in a row against top-five opponents and been beaten in eight of his nine matches with Murray. The 24-year-old Croat made far too many errors, particularly on his forehand and at the net. The pattern for the first set was established in the opening game.

Cilic, looking nervous, went 0-40 down on his serve, but a cautious Murray was unable to take advantage and was promptly broken in the following game. It was the first of four successive breaks of serve as both men struggled for consistency.

From 4-4, however, Murray cut down on his errors and broke for the third time with a rasping cross-court backhand before serving out for the set. The Scot broke again at the start of the second set, though Cilic, to his credit, finally came out of his shell and went on the attack.

When Murray served at 2-1, however, he defended superbly to save four break points in a 15-minute game. Murray broke again to lead 5-2 and, although he failed to serve out for victory, his sixth break of the match in the following game secured the win.

"Every time I got broken, I think I broke back straight away so that was good that I responded well from the setbacks," Murray said afterwards. "I played a solid match. I hit the ball well and I used good variation to keep him off balance.

"We had a lot of tough games, especially towards the middle and end of the second set. It was hot today and there were some long games and long points, so I was glad I came through it in two sets."

In today's other semi-final, 34-year-old Tommy Haas will take on 30-year-old David Ferrer. Haas followed up his remarkable victory over Novak Djokovic in the fourth round with an even more emphatic win over Gilles Simon. The German needed just 64 minutes to complete a 6-3, 6-1 victory.

Maria Sharapova has never won the Miami title but is through to her fifth final after a crushing 6-2, 6-1 victory over Jelena Jankovic. Sharapova, who is on an 11-match unbeaten streak, will face the winner of last night's second semi-final between Serena Williams and Agnieszka Radwanska, who was last year's champion.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-scorches-into-semifinals-as-cilic-wilts-in-miami-heat-8554122.html

Have only seen news reports as we don't get coverage in the UK unless it's on SKY (I think ?)

A holiday in Canada requires some planning and lots of time. If you need help, let me know. The hiking on the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia amazing, the whale cruise tours, the kayaking around the Highlands is a lot of fun. The golf is amazing.

PEI has the best beaches and is a cool place to bum around in the summer and again the golf is amazing.

Quebec City is fantastic, the mountains of Quebec are great.

Ottawa is a GREAT city to visit and tour, the Ottawa River tours and the Ottawa Canal tours are a treat. Toronto is amazing.

Alberta Rockies and BC both very pretty and breathtaking.

Canada is really one the best places to visit despite what Ross Halfin and his Nobu followers think…

hey if your my only fan .... I want a free holiday in Canada

A holiday in Canada requires some planning and lots of time. If you need help, let me know. The hiking on the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia amazing, the whale cruise tours, the kayaking around the Highlands is a lot of fun. The golf is amazing.

PEI has the best beaches and is a cool place to bum around in the summer and again the golf is amazing.

Quebec City is fantastic, the mountains of Quebec are great.

Ottawa is a GREAT city to visit and tour, the Ottawa River tours and the Ottawa Canal tours are a treat. Toronto is amazing.

Alberta Rockies and BC both very pretty and breathtaking.

Canada is really one the best places to visit despite what Ross Halfin and his Nobu followers think…

I want a "free" holiday in Canada

Andy Murray up to No 2 in world after hard slog against David Ferrer in Miami heat

Masters victory over Ferrer lifts him above Federer and leaves Djokovic in his sights

Andy Murray is used to giving his supporters a roller-coaster ride and the 25-year-old Scot took them on a typically bumpy journey today before reaching his destination of No 2 in the world rankings. Murray’s 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 victory over David Ferrer in a gruelling final of the Miami Masters ensured that he will equal his highest-ever position in the updated rankings list, though he had to dig deep after a typically feisty display by his indefatigable opponent.

Murray, who spent four weeks at No 2 in the late summer of 2009, claimed the 26th title of his career after a remarkable match, played in the most testing conditions, that lasted two hours and 45 minutes. Murray recovered from a ragged first set, failed to serve out for victory in the decider, saved a match point with a forehand that clipped the baseline and eventually won the tie-break 7-1 after the two men had all but fought themselves to a standstill.

The Scot’s second victory in Miami, where he spends much of the year training, was worth $719,160 (about £473,000), which takes his prize-money this year to $2.2m and his career earnings to $27.05m, but the 1,000 ranking points that came with it were of greater significance.

With Murray leapfrogging Roger Federer to take second place behind Novak Djokovic, today’s world rankings list will be the first since November 2003 in which neither Federer nor Rafael Nadal have been in the top two.

While Murray will still be more than 3,000 points behind Djokovic, this could prove to be base camp for his assault on the ultimate mountain. Djokovic has many more points to defend than Murray in the coming weeks and it is not inconceivable that the Scot will become world No 1 this summer.

Murray and Ferrer are two of the finest athletes and best returners in the game, so it was no surprise that the final featured 15 breaks of serve.

Many of the rallies were brutally long as both players defended superbly, though the difficult conditions, including a tricky breeze, meant that there were many more unforced errors than clean winners.

Given the heat and humidity, it was no surprise that both players tired in the final set. Murray, who did not serve well throughout, looked shattered by the end.

Ferrer (right), who will be 31 tomorrow, has extraordinary resilience and had looked the fresher but was cramping in the deciding tie-break.

“It was such a tough match,” Murray said afterwards. “It could have gone either way. Both of us fought as hard as we could and both of us were struggling physically at the end.

“I just managed to fight well at the end. They were incredibly difficult conditions. It was very windy, extremely humid and hot and when you see David struggling physically you know it’s tough.”

The first set was a story of Murray’s missed opportunities. The Scot made 19 unforced errors and took only one of four break points; Ferrer had three break points and took them all. The Spaniard raced into a 5-0 lead, breaking Murray firstly from 40-30 down and then from 40-0 down.

Murray, who had used all three of his challenges by the second point of the fifth game, was frustrated at being unable to seek Hawk-Eye’s assistance towards the end of the set, though he had only himself to blame for letting it slip away after staging a mini-revival. When Murray served at 2-5 he handed the set to Ferrer with two double-faults and two missed forehands.

The Scot’s response, nevertheless, could not be faulted. Murray made the early break in the second set, saved two break points to lead 4-2 and would have won the next game but for his own hesitation in converting what should have been routine put-aways. Ferrer broke to tie the set at 4-4, but Murray responded in kind and served out for the set.

By the start of the third set both men were starting to experience physical difficulties. The first six games all went against serve before Ferrer held firm to lead 4-3.

Murray, who had fallen awkwardly when wrong-footed in the sixth game, appeared to be running on empty, but at 4-4 his superb returns gave him the chance to serve for the match.

Ferrer, however, summoned up the spirit and energy to break once again and when Murray served at 5-6 the Scot had to defend a match point. A big Murray forehand clipped the baseline and Ferrer, who could have continued with the point, made the mistake of stopping and challenging the call, which went in his opponent’s favour.

The first point of the tie-break summed up the match as Murray won it after a remarkable exchange ended with a Ferrer shot hitting the top of the net and just failing to creep over.

When Murray went 5-1 up Ferrer fell to the floor suffering from cramp and after he recovered, the Scot went on to convert the first match point he held with a typically belligerent return of serve.

For all his consistent excellence, poor Ferrer seems destined to remain the player who was never quite good enough to join the Fab Four who have so dominated the sport in recent years. The Spaniard has now met top-five players in finals on 13 occasions – and has lost every time.

Murray, having won his first Masters Series title for 18 months, said it was “the sort of match that I would have lost a couple of years ago”. He added: “I tried to keep fighting. I chased every ball down and made it as hard as possible for him.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-up-to-no-2-in-world-after-hard-slog-against-david-ferrer-in-miami-heat-8555678.html

Missed it due to the fact it's not been on UK tv

• 2 months later...

Anybody else been watching the French open?

order of play today is:

Jankovic (Ser) v Sharapova (Rus)

Nadal (Spa) v Wawrinka (Swi)

Kirilenko (Rus) v Azarenka (Blr)

Djokovic (Ser) v Haas (Ger)

Can't see anything other than a Nadal v Djoker semi. Wawrinka has never taken a set from Nadal in their previous 8 meetings - although - Wawrinka has by all accounts been in the best form of his life recently. On the other hand, Nadal has been playing well below par and has dropped plenty of sets already but he usually doesn't have many problems with swiss players with one-handed backhands - but I'd go for Wawrinka managing to grab a set. Nadal to win in four.

Haas came through a mini 5 set epic with Isner in the previous round after blowing 12 match points in the fourth set. Djoker has a winning 3 - 2 head to head over Haas and has being playing ok thus far. His first coach died recently so questions marks perhaps over whether that will affect his game at all. A tight game, Djoker in four sets.

Oh yeah, and the women are playing too...

For a better preview....

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/06/2013-french-open-quarterfinal-previews/47788/#.Ua8d0dif2zs

Edited by Pagesbow

My interest in the FO lessened after Federer got knocked out by Tsongas. Djokovic is my guy now.

As for the women, I'll cheer for anyone that doesn't grunt like she's birthing a baby right on the court.

My interest in the FO lessened after Federer got knocked out by Tsongas. Djokovic is my guy now.

As for the women, I'll cheer for anyone that doesn't grunt like she's birthing a baby right on the court.

Would like to see Nadal be the first man in the open era to get an 8th title at one slam. Although I think djoker will win their match and hopefully play Tsonga in the final who might have a chance as on his day if the stars align for him; he can beat anyone. If Ferrer wins against Tsonga and plays either Nadal or Djoker it will a grinding encounter of similar styles and I don't give Ferrer a chance.

These two are playing tomorrow and it is truly the ultimate grunt fest.....I won't be watching.

So..... today is the howl fest that is Azarenka v Sharapova then the non-contest that is (heavyweight) Williams v (lightweight) Errani.

Sharapova in 3 and it is surely only a question of how many games Errani can win (in their past 5 meetings she has won one set)