Tennis

weslgarlic

Sharapova in 3 and it is surely only a question of how many games Errani can win (in their past 5 meetings she has won one set)

You were spot on, good sir. What about today's matches? Glad you asked.

Nadal V Djokovic

Toss a coin as there is not much in this. Fine margins will decide the outcome; Djokovic is often a slow starter and Nadal needs to come out firing and take the first set to have a chance, but as we have seen over and over again - Djokovic never knows when he's beaten. He knows he can go the distance with Rafa - Djokovic in 4, maybe 5...ok, I don't know. I hope Rafa wins though...

Tsonga V Ferrer

Tough to call really tough. And that is the adjective to describe most matches involving Ferrer. To win, Tsonga is going to have to grasp the nettle and dictate the play - you know what you are going to get from Ferrer - so it is on Tsonga to take the game to him with some first strike tennis. If there are long rallies then Ferrer will most likely win 80 percent of those. Thos is Ferrer's best surface but Tsonga is the hometown favourite looking to become the first man since 1983 to win the French Open. Neither have lost a set thus far; something has got to give - Tsonga in 5.

Strange how the bloke who started a Tennis thread seems to have no interest in it.... :sos:

The Nadal V Djoker final, sorry semi - final was a classic....Tsonga V Ferrer was a big let down.

Nadal V Ferrer final....vamos

It's been on ITV 4 all week ,and highlights on ITV1 , but this week as kinda have flown bye and i've missed it other things occupying my time at the moment- might catch up this weekend - england playing Rugby Union on saturday too

Edited by weslgarlic

.WELL DONE WILLIAMS STARTED OUT CLOSE BUT CLASS SHONE THROUGH .............................Marvin Gaye married his first wife 17 years older than him , he later married a lady 17 years his juniour ............i dated a lady 14 years older than me when i was 25 ........williams is 14 years my juniour ...it could be fate ..................or pure disillusion

Edited by weslgarlic

It's been on ITV 4 all week ,and highlights on ITV1 , but this week as kinda have flown bye and i've missed it other things occupying my time at the moment- might catch up this weekend - england playing Rugby Union on saturday too

....and you have got about 500 open topics to be dealing with - so I'll let you off :lol:

.WELL DONE WILLIAMS STARTED OUT CLOSE BUT CLASS SHONE THROUGH .............................Marvin Gaye married his first wife 17 years older than him , he later married a lady 17 years his juniour ............i dated a lady 14 years older than me when i was 25 ........williams is 14 years my juniour ...it could be fate ..................or pure disillusion

"or pure disillusion" I'd go with that :lol:

But mate, seriously, some bad news on that front....she's dating her coach (although she denies it)

http://tennis.si.com/2012/09/13/serena-williams-dating-coach-patrick-mouratoglou/

Well done "Andy" for his win at Queens. (I'll sure he'll be reading this, so) he has grown on me. I think the coverage of Wimbledon, in particular, gets spoiled by the overt jingoistic need to have the first male winner since Fred Bleedin' Perry and all the hype and pressure they heap on "Andy".

I used to want all British hopes to keep failing because of this, but maybe (although we'd never hear the last of it and the hype would be sickening) it would be better long term if "Andy" won it so Andrew Castle and Sue Barker could STFU and let me watch Wimbledon in peace; without them putting everything in context of how the "Brits are doing" for example: Nadal went out last year and they were positively wetting themselves with glee and plotting Andy's run to the final while he was still in the third round. "Andy" seems like a normal bloke from a fairly normal background; so I'd rather he won it than some posh kid whose father is a major.

Wimbledon countdown: T minus 8 days.

Edited by Pagesbow

Over here we're spared the barmy blatherings of Sue Barker.

Wonder how much rain we'll get this year? It'd be nice to have a rain-free fortnight.

McEnroe, Becker and Cash are also commentators on the beeb every Wimbledon. I like Mac (although he's not to everyone's taste) Becker is so so and Cash, while he seems like a really nice bloke, is pretty hopeless with his inane insights and rather nervous delivery. Which is probably why he gets relegated to the outside courts covering the less high profile games. I wish they would hire Jim Courier: he does the French Open and is really knowledgeable and quite funny.

The rain thing, I wouldn't count on it....supposed to be a heat wave this week (28c lol) so I'm sure It'll be pissing down next week just in time...

Laura Robson wins big LAURA ROBSON achieved one of the biggest wins of her career as she swept aside Poland’s world No 4 Agnieszka Radwanska 6-3, 6-1 to reach the third round of the Mutua Madrid Open.

robs-397533.jpgLaura Robson enjoys her victory

The 19-year-old Briton was always in charge against last year’s Wimbledon runner-up and broke her serve five times.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/397533/Laura-Robson-wins-big

Laura Robson wins Eastbourne opener

Laura Robson defeats Yuliya Beygelzimer at Eastbourne to set up a second-round match against world number nine Caroline Wozniacki.

The British number one says she "served really well" during the 6-3 6-2 win on Centre Court against the Ukrainian qualifier, and jokes that she "just wants towin more" during the rest of the season after a difficult start to 2013.

Elena Baltacha and Heather Watson have also won their first round matches, making it only the second time since 1991 that three British women have reached round two of the singles in Eastbourne.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22960134

Edited by weslgarlic

I admit I am not the biggest tennis fan. I occasionally watch but it's not the end of the world if I go through the saturated TV coverage of the two weeks without watching

I find the patriotic view of the media here to be quite ridiculous. What was it "Henman Hill"? Now it's "Murray Mountain" or "Robson rolling countryside" or something. Sue Barkers interviews are hilarious. She always gushes on how great SW19 is and what do you think "Andy's" chances are? But the best interviews are as soon as they have come off court. Totally out of breath they splutter how chuffed they played etc etc. "This is my fav ever tourney" Even though they say that in Melbourne, Paris and New York.

I have just dropped in to the tourney and find it most off putting to hear the banshee screams of the players (women) and snorting grunts of the men. One lady player sounded like a pheasant screwing on acid. Sharapova is it? I can hear her from here!

As far as the weather is concerned - this is England. Cold and windy. Just like the winter but a bit warmer and somewhat lighter. UK dwellers may remember the rain delay a few years ago, when the worlds dullest bachelor Sir Spliff Richard appeared and sang some rubbish and the faithful gushed how great it was. File under hilarious.

Oh and by the way. Would you pay 10 of your finest crispest English pounds for a few Strawberries (grown under lights more than likely) and a smidgen of cream?

Edited by chillumpuffer

So further to my post above regarding interviews:

So some unknown Belgian, who has never beaten a top ten ranking player before, beats Rafa Nadal in the first round - a real shock, although to be fair the Spaniard was hampered by a bad left knee. Right after, the interviewer asks the victor " Where does this victory rank in your career?" Talk about asking the bleedin' obvious! It was like Mrs Merton asking Debbie Magee " So what did attract you to millionaire Paul Daniels?