Daylight savings time / Summer Time

Ace Of Spades

Seems you start earlier than Europe with this whole bullshit (we switch the clock at the end of the month).

Personally i think the whole thing is a waste of time and bad for the inner clock, so it should indeed be abolished.

Getting up early is a menace, getting up even earlier is a plain pain in the ass. To hell with it.

Edited by reswati

It is a bit of a pain, but I do like the longer evenings.

I know there are a few places in the U.S. that don't do this. Hawaii and Arizona don't do this. I think there is a part of Indiana as well. Perhaps, someone can confirm these along with others as well.

If you work a late shift there is no benefit. Isn't that institutional discrimination against the people of the night?

I suppose it is. Not sure if litigation in this form would be necessary or hold up in a court. But then again, it's basically ones' choice to work nights.

I suppose it is. Not sure if litigation in this form would be necessary or hold up in a court. But then again, it's basically ones' choice to work nights.

I was under the impression that we were all supposed to be equal? If the sun people get a government benefit, then the moon people are entitled to equal consideration.

Just being facetious, but I think this DST is a disruption. If an employer wants his employees to start at 7am instead of 8am, he can just tell them to do so. And if another employer or a citizen has a different need: they adjust their schedule as they see fit. Farmers hate DST. Farmers are bright enough to know that if it is getting light earlier, then they start earlier. We are being led by the nose on this.

Are you aware that the golf course lobby is behind DST? They make billions more because of this policy.

You haven't lost an hour of your life. Think it through.

In a literal sense you are correct. But in a philosophical sense I have lost something. Just like sitting through a Celine Dion concert for an hour with my girlfriend; I have lost an hour of my life.

I was under the impression that we were all supposed to be equal? If the sun people get a government benefit, then the moon people are entitled to equal consideration.

Just being facetious, but I think this DST is a disruption. If an employer wants his employees to start at 7am instead of 8am, he can just tell them to do so. And if another employer or a citizen has a different need: they adjust their schedule as they see fit. Farmers hate DST. Farmers are bright enough to know that if it is getting light earlier, then they start earlier. We are being led by the nose on this.

Are you aware that the golf course lobby is behind DST? They make billions more because of this policy.

I think I'm ok with sucking it up and having an extra cup of coffee for a day or two.

I heard a funny story. In the 1920s Stalin put the USSR on DLST one spring, but they forgot to turn the clocks back in the fall. Many decades later someone then discovered that the Russian clocks were an hour off.

This is why we should never follow anything the Russki's do.

Since we are actually near the "vernal equinox", you already have a nearly equal amount of day to night.

Only Mr. Page and I seem to understand this.

The fishing is a lot better at night at this time of year. That's what I meant. I know there's a nearly equal amount of day to night.

I like the extended hour of daylight (by clock) because it allows me more time to get dirt under my fingernails in my vegetable patch.

What's weird though, between the wife and me turnin' knobs and such on the backs of some of our clocks, we've still got clocks Set on EST, CST and Mountain Time. We live in the Central Time Zone.

I see that I could maybe use these time variations to my benefit if I leave the 'set 'clocks as is. Time (yuckety yuck) will tell...

I like the extended hour of daylight (by clock) because it allows me more time to get dirt under my fingernails in my vegetable patch.

What's weird though, between the wife and me turnin' knobs and such on the backs of some of our clocks, we've still got clocks Set on EST, CST and Mountain Time. We live in the Central Time Zone.

I see that I could maybe use these time variations to my benefit if I leave the 'set 'clocks as is. Time (yuckety yuck) will tell...

Just think how much time we use by resetting clocks on watches, microwaves, ovens etc. Some reset, but so many don't. Is it really worth it? I do like the extra day light in the summer, but I don't like the shorter hours in the fall and winter. I just like extra day light, no matter what!

• 5 years later...
On 3/11/2018 at 11:30 AM, The Rover said:

Florida joins Hawaii and Arizona and says FU to changing clocks!!

NO!!  You scared me to death there - I was worried that my vacation planning for next week would be an hour off!

They are trying to stay in DST forever, not joining AZ and HI in staying in Standard Time.  The problem is, is that this will technically require them to move from Eastern Time to Atlantic Time and they need Congress for that.  Good luck getting Congress to do anything...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/08/591925587/sunshine-daydream-florida-bill-would-make-daylight-saving-time-year-round