U.S. Open snuck right up on me. Today is the first round at Chambers Bay. Crazy looking golf course. Looks like it should be a links course, but it has over 200 feet of elevation changes, tons of bunkers (none being pot bunkers), and insane nuances that can take a shot 80 feet off the green and allow it to roll around and wind up close to the hole. Very tight landing areas for drives and could play up to 7900 yards long. Very unique course indeed!

Looking for Justin Rose, Phil Mickleson, Ricky Fowler, and of course Rory McIllroy to be strong here. Just hope nobody runs away from the rest of the field.

Watched the last couple of hours while having supper and tasting some wine. Incredible turn of events after Spieth double-bogeyed 17 and Johnson looked like he had a winning putt, or a tie at worst, on 18 and blew it.

Hit for show. Putt for dough.

Sounds like that year Goosen had an easy putt at the 18 for the win and couldn't close it. I forget if he won or lost in sudden death that year, but I think he ended up winning it twice. I like the South African golfers - Goosen, Els, and the great Gary Player.

Anyway, congratulations to Speith. This has the making of a special year if he continues to do so well at such a young age. Too bad for Johnson. Hopefully he can keep his disappointment in check. Is this the same guy who is married to Gretzky's daughter? The one with cocaine problems? Good for him for coming back, and hopefully he stays on a clean path.

What a finish. Feel really for DJ. I would have bet anything on him 2 putting the last but not to be. Course looked a brute - not my favourite course, a link style and the greens looked pretty shitty to me. Our greens are in a far better condition than them. But well done Jordan. I would bet on him winning at St Andrews next month.

• 3 weeks later...

The Open Championship begins next week - already! Seems like last week was the U.S. Open! Looking forward to seeing St. Andrew's again. Definitely one of my top 3 courses to watch. It might be #2 behind Augusta National, but ahead of Pebble Beach. Start thinking about your picks! Where's Rich (fishy)???

The Open Championship begins next week - already! Seems like last week was the U.S. Open! Looking forward to seeing St. Andrew's again. Definitely one of my top 3 courses to watch. It might be #2 behind Augusta National, but ahead of Pebble Beach. Start thinking about your picks! Where's Rich (fishy)???

I forget how this picks system works? Just wondering if it's like the golf fantasy league I'm in. Refresh my memory on this Walter!

MASTERS GOLF POOL

Ok, the committee has met and has determined how the Masters Pool is to be run...this is easy for all involved. All you have to do is...

1) pick 5 golfers that you think are going to do well in the tournament and more importantly, make the cut. (Tiger is not eligible because everyone will pick him, especially now, so he is out....)

2) pick one guy from the bottom 10 of last years final day. (I have attached the link to last years final round/final overall standings below).

3) Your 6 players must make the cut. If one of the players fails to do so, you are out of the tourney. (NO GOLF FOR YOU!...as said by the Soup Nazi)

4) The forum member who has all 6 players in the final day with the combined lowest total score wins the pool!

5) Picks must be sent to Fishy, no later than the day before the tourney officially starts.

What do you win...Well, you win a virtual case of beer along with an imaginary $1,000,000.

Send me your picks via private message and I will set it up. I may even see if I can use an on-line golf pool thingy. Hope you will join in for a little fun....cheers Fishy

link to last years final round- (I may have to expand the bottom 10, if some of them are not even in this years tourney. I will get on this asap)

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard/2012/15

2013 Masters Line Up (as of March 18th)

http://www.masters.com/pdf/2013_Masters_Tournament_Invitees.pdf

Here are the rules we used before, SD. Obviously Tiger is in play as he has proven himself to be more than mortal anymore! CP, Strider, Babs, Rich, anyone else out there who has any interest in this? I have to look at the entry list.

All those millions ESPN has at their disposal and you'd think they could hire a guy to periodically clean and dry the camera lens. I am tired of thinking Adam Scott has a head made of spit because of their soggy cameras.

Not sure who I want to win...Johnson or Scott. Just want the weather to hold up so they can finish today.

Hmmmm. Not one post today from our usual golf correspondents. Nobody's got any love for Zach Johnson beating the South African and the Aussie in The Open playoff?

Spieth couldn't quite make history. That disastrous 4-putt at #8 (7?) did him in. I knew Garcia wouldn't win, even when he was at -14. But what a precipitous fall by Adam Scott...in it for most of the round and then 5 over the last 5 holes to fall off the leader board.

Edited by Strider

Hmmmm. Not one post today from our usual golf correspondents. Nobody's got any love for Zach Johnson beating the South African and the Aussie in The Open playoff?

Spieth couldn't quite make history. That disastrous 4-putt at #8 (7?) did him in. I knew Garcia wouldn't win, even when he was at -14. But what a precipitous fall by Adam Scott...in it for most of the round and then 5 over the last 5 holes to fall off the leader board.

I was pulling for Spieth. He reminds me of Jack Nicklaus. Cool and calm to the max! Anyway, I didn't want Zach Johnson because he is a Gator. I was indifferent about Oozie. So, I was rooting for Leishman in the playoff.

St. Andrew's is such an amazing golf course and location. A candidate for the "bucket list" for sure!

Where is the PGA going to be played at this year?

No I'm here buddy, just been busy the last couple of days. I thought Zach played very steady golf. Excellent short game as you need on the old course and I was pleased he won. Leishman blew it on the opening play off hole and was basically a spectator for the last 3 holes. Louis did have a chance but again the short game - vital. This is where Spieth ruined his chances - not the 4 putt. The 18th was his downfall. His pitch onto the green had too much backspin and he ended up in the dreaded valley of sin. Tough to get up and down from there. Also Jason Day - a big favourite of mine. He should NEVER have left his putt short on the 18th. He will win a major one day, mark my words

On reflection: A cracker of an open, played in true links conditions as is correct. A true test unlike the up and down parkland courses so loved in America where the sun forever shines and the wind doesn't blow

I would love to play the old course, and of course you can play it. All 4 courses are basically municipal courses unlike the stuffy tracks in the US where you must know a senator to even go down the driveway to the clubhouse.

Well done Zach and see you next year

I was pulling for Spieth. He reminds me of Jack Nicklaus. Cool and calm to the max! Anyway, I didn't want Zach Johnson because he is a Gator. I was indifferent about Oozie. So, I was rooting for Leishman in the playoff.

St. Andrew's is such an amazing golf course and location. A candidate for the "bucket list" for sure!

Where is the PGA going to be played at this year?

Whistling Straits, Wisconsin. Another links course

• 8 months later...

30 year anniversary of my favourite Masters: The Golden Bear storming the back nine and beating Norman and Ballesteros in 1986!

First major of 2016. Are you picking Day, Spieth, McElroy or going with the field?

Another Tiger-less major. Will he ever get his game together again?

3 hours ago, Strider said:

30 year anniversary of my favourite Masters: The Golden Bear storming the back nine and beating Norman and Ballesteros in 1986!

First major of 2016. Are you picking Day, Spieth, McElroy or going with the field?

Another Tiger-less major. Will he ever get his game together again?

Before the tourney started, I was saying Day - but now it's hard to go against Spieth.  

51 minutes ago, Walter said:

Spieth showed everyone that he is human, yesterday.  Only 4 golfers under par.  Hopefully we'll have a great final round in Augusta today.

Hopefully. I like Spieth's chances today. What a shock to see Bernhard Langer's name up on the leaderboard. Talk about a blast from the past.