Jimmy At Reading Record Festival - More Hassle From Rude People

kenog

This is from Halfin's Diary 1 April, 2013. www.rosshalfin.com

"... The weekend was the Reading Record Fair with Jimmy Page. One old looney told him that his wife had met Robert Plant in a pub. He stood over us while we were eating, not going away while we both looked, waiting for the point. There was no point, of course, and people will not go away. Another got all bent out of shape when Jimmy wouldn't sign a bootleg Led Zeppelin 18 cd box set."

this is absolutely sad..why can't people behave?? I don't know why they can't act normally..yes, he is Jimmy fuckin Page, but I don't see why people have to be so intrusive and disrespectful..

Yes ZepRex,

I agree entirely, particularly when they are hassling people who are eating a meal.

this is absolutely sad..why can't people behave?? I don't know why they can't act normally..yes, he is Jimmy fuckin Page, but I don't see why people have to be so intrusive and disrespectful..

The guy might have been a long standing Zep fan and the other would have spent a fortune on the box set no doubt. But there's a time and place to speak or ask for an autograph. I'm sure many here would have wanted a pic or signature.

That said the rudest guy in all this is Halfling himself calling the guy an "old looney" He's a class act.

I am not sure Jimmy would really like fans disrespected so much but he travels a lot with RH so he must know what he writes on his site. So perhaps he feels the same way about fans. I never thought that really but RH does him no favours other than doing his photo's.

It's horrid that people can't step outside their door without being hounded by fans. IMO the perfect life would be to have your work critically acclaimed, be paid well for it and remain anonymous. I am never surprised when famous names punch out photographers and others prying into their lives. Who wants to be interrupted constantly whenever you are in public by complete strangers with bad manners dispensing pointless stories and asking for autographs? That the autograph hound actually expected Page to sign bootleg merchandise is hilarious - and an idiot.

Ross Halfin calling someone rude and not knowing when to go away is hilarious!!! This guy has made his living off of being a sycophant and he spouts off like that? Sure, they guy may have been a bit too starstruck, but unlike that tosser Halfin, he knew when the party was over and time to go home. Halfin is stealing the silverware at this point.

I'm uncomfortable with some of the remarks being made on this thread. I don't know Ross Halfin and my impression is neither does anyone else here. My comment was simply that he's not a bodyguard. I think he and Page are friends. As far as I know Halfin is a professional freelance photographer; that is a difficult job (I also work for myself and it is hard to make a living off of free-lance; many people do not think about what that involves); furthermore, none of us were there and it is difficult to evaluate the situation from one report. What I do know is that celebrities have to deal with a lot of hassles. I had a very brief experience as a public figure (not a "celebrity," but an opinion writer for a national/international magazine) and that was bad enough--obnoxious comments on the website, harassing of my editors when I wrote something someone didn't like--because of course no one is entitled to a different opinion from you and everyone who has a different opinion is wrong(sarcasm)--being in the public eye exposes you to weirdos and also, with the general sense of entitlement people have today, there is a belief that if someone is a celebrity or public figure they owe everybody something and also that it's ok to criticize them in a way that people would never criticize someone they knew in daily life. As I said before on another thread, I never ask anyone for autographs and if I meet a celebrity I like, I just thank them and if they want to chat, I let them initiate it.

ScarletMacaw,

It's great to get your input on this thread - you have an interesting work background! On February 10 2013, Jimmy and Ross had gone to the Reading Record Festival, as noted in Ross' diary entry of that date. Ross' comments about Jimmy being approached for an autograph were completely different, principally due to the fact that the fan was polite and respectful. I have quoted his comments below.

".... On the way home a woman politely asked Jimmy to sign her daughter's homework book for 5-9 year olds. Jimmy signed it and wrote something like "Jimmy Page, older than 9".

I'm uncomfortable with some of the remarks being made on this thread. I don't know Ross Halfin and my impression is neither does anyone else here. My comment was simply that he's not a bodyguard. I think he and Page are friends. As far as I know Halfin is a professional freelance photographer; that is a difficult job (I also work for myself and it is hard to make a living off of free-lance; many people do not think about what that involves); furthermore, none of us were there and it is difficult to evaluate the situation from one report. What I do know is that celebrities have to deal with a lot of hassles. I had a very brief experience as a public figure (not a "celebrity," but an opinion writer for a national/international magazine) and that was bad enough--obnoxious comments on the website, harassing of my editors when I wrote something someone didn't like--because of course no one is entitled to a different opinion from you and everyone who has a different opinion is wrong(sarcasm)--being in the public eye exposes you to weirdos and also, with the general sense of entitlement people have today, there is a belief that if someone is a celebrity or public figure they owe everybody something and also that it's ok to criticize them in a way that people would never criticize someone they knew in daily life. As I said before on another thread, I never ask anyone for autographs and if I meet a celebrity I like, I just thank them and if they want to chat, I let them initiate it.

Archived