Moby Dick/Over The Top gets the boot

Bonzo_fan

It was omitted from Tempe as the entire show was more or less a disaster. Bonham apparently was unhappy with his guitarist, but later was given some blame for the lack of an encore!

Oakland omitted Page's solo in addition to Over the Top. It made sense - there were other bands on the bill, Bonham seemed to question his skills on the third leg, and on the 24th he needed to get the hell out of dodge. Page was overdoing his habits at this time which seemingly further frustrated Bonzo's state of mind and his homesickness.

That being said Seattle's OOT is excellent, a fitting end.

It was omitted from Tempe as the entire show was more or less a disaster. Bonham apparently was unhappy with his guitarist, but later was given some blame for the lack of an encore!

Oakland omitted Page's solo in addition to Over the Top. It made sense - there were other bands on the bill, Bonham seemed to question his skills on the third leg, and on the 24th he needed to get the hell out of dodge. Page was overdoing his habits at this time which seemingly further frustrated Bonzo's state of mind and his homesickness.

That being said Seattle's OOT is excellent, a fitting end.

Thanks! Have to agree with you on Seattle...

^ Agree, a drum solo over 12 or so minutes os just boring, I don't care who is behind the kit.

With that said I was listening to Hot's On For Nowhere, one of my favorite songs, and I think Bonzo's drumming on this is fantastic. For the majority of the song he does a modified Purdie Shuffle then lets loose on the breaks and does something completely different on the bridge. Just amazing what he does with this song.

^ Agree, a drum solo over 12 or so minutes os just boring, I don't care who is behind the kit.

With that said I was listening to Hot's On For Nowhere, one of my favorite songs, and I think Bonzo's drumming on this is fantastic. For the majority of the song he does a modified Purdie Shuffle then lets loose on the breaks and does something completely different on the bridge. Just amazing what he does with this song.

As a drummer, I enjoy some of the longer ones, although I haven't been able to finish either of the 35 min Landover '77 versions ?

I love Hots On For Nowhere as well, in large part because of Bonzo's contributions.

I think Sue likes Over The Top and the Noise Solos, the longer the better.

Sue and I tend to agree on most things, with the exception of 06/27/77

Ya I'm with you guys as far as length goes...and which side of the 6/27/77 fence are you on? I enjoy most of that show, with the exception of ALS...I think it's how unpredictable Bonzo is that throws me....

As a drummer, I enjoy some of the longer ones, although I haven't been able to finish either of the 35 min Landover '77 versions

Yer not missing much there...as much as I love the drum solos, those epic Landover solos are just a slog...it's as though Bonham was trying to wow the audience with excess, but the trouble is the playing is not interesting enough to sustain 35+ minutes. Compared to the equally 'excessive' 28 minute solo in Fort Worth four days before, the Landover drum solos are a let down.

Ya I'm with you guys as far as length goes...and which side of the 6/27/77 fence are you on? I enjoy most of that show, with the exception of ALS...I think it's how unpredictable Bonzo is that throws me....

As much as I have a sentimental attachment to the 23/6/77 show, I totally enjoy listening to 27/6/77, the band just let it all hang out on the night...sometimes I'll even sit through that 26 minute Noise Solo! (sorry Sue :lol: )

True Nutrocker....the 27th is a GREAT show! I found the long drum solos to be a waste on those evenings where it would never end - much better in the 15 min. range. Seattle is still my favorite '77 OTT, because of the different parts that were represented there.

As far as the long D/C's ('72-'75) I have to be in the mood to go through the entire thing....but, as my 9 year-old son said the other night, "I love it when they just jam"! Guess I must be doing something right by him! ;) We were listening to Dallas '73, btw.

His solos in the early years 69-71 were always spectacular (from a drummer's stand point). He was always showing off his technique and his chops, flaunting and trying to best the rest in the business. He was hungry and focused and it showed. The middle years 72-75 had their moments of brilliance but any solo that was over 15 minutes is a bit much, IMO. When he was on, 30 minutes could be incredible. But I've yet to hear a solo from him in 1977 that has won me over in that much time (And I own plenty of shows from 77.)

His solos in the early years 69-71 were always spectacular (from a drummer's stand point). He was always showing off his technique and his chops, flaunting and trying to best the rest in the business. He was hungry and focused and it showed. The middle years 72-75 had their moments of brilliance but any solo that was over 15 minutes is a bit much, IMO. When he was on, 30 minutes could be incredible. But I've yet to hear a solo from him in 1977 that has won me over in that much time (And I own plenty of shows from 77.)

Have you heard the Fort Worth '77 drum solo, zeppy? One of Bonham's best IMO.

Page was overdoing his habits at this time which seemingly further frustrated Bonzo's state of mind and his homesickness.

The pair actually shared some of those "habits," at least by 1979-1980.

35 minutes is stupidly wrong. anything that can't be played in 10 minutes isn't worth playing. drums or guitar

That statement precludes appreciation of a wealth of excellent music, the marathon versions of "Dazed and Confused" included.

Archived