The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

RIP guitar legend Nokie Edwards of the Ventures.  Here is one of my favorite  Ventures tracks - it is not one of their well known hits.

And how about some live in Japan 1966 footage featuring Wipeout , Apache and the amazing Slaughter on Tenth Avenue.  Slaughter starts at 6:17

1 hour ago, John M said:

RIP guitar legend Nokie Edwards of the Ventures.  Here is one of my favorite  Ventures tracks - it is not one of their well known hits.

And how about some live in Japan 1966 footage featuring Wipeout , Apache and the amazing Slaughter on Tenth Avenue.  Slaughter starts at 6:17

RIP Nokie. I met him after a guitar player awards show at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN at Muriel Anderson’s Night of Guitar in 2004. James Burton (Elvis’ TCB Band guitarist after Scottie Moore), Peter Frampton & Adrian Belew were also honored that evening. Nokie performed some great Ventures songs. He will be missed.

R😎

"Success in creating effective AI, could be the biggest event in the history of our civilization. Or the worst. We just don't know. So we cannot know if we will be infinitely helped by AI, or ignored by it and side-lined, or conceivably destroyed by it.”

~ Stephen Hawking

Screenshot_20180314-092427.jpg

16 hours ago, Strider said:

Such a weird connection to this day now...March 14 being the birth date of Albert Einstein, the death date of Stephen Hawking, and Pi Day.

That is odd and makes you think when three things are connected like that.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Oh, no. Not Rusty. RIP.

news said he went in the hospital with pnumonia a few weeks ago.  Probably got the flu and it got worse.  So many older people get pnumonia and then the infection spreads. A shame if that is how it happened. Wasnt cancer or heart attack, something that may have been prevented if he had gone to the hospital a little sooner.

1 hour ago, kipper said:

news said he went in the hospital with pnumonia a few weeks ago.  Probably got the flu and it got worse.  So many older people get pnumonia and then the infection spreads. A shame if that is how it happened. Wasnt cancer or heart attack, something that may have been prevented if he had gone to the hospital a little sooner.

He had been sick for sometime.  I remember hearing he had to be rushed to the hospital and may have been a heartattack, while he was on a flight.  May have been from Italy and they may have had to land at another airport.

Not only a great player but his charity work outshines his baseball work.  He did a lot of work for homeless children as well as running different charities for first responders of police and fireman in NY.  I think one of these may have those who were lost in the line of duty and raising funds for their families.  Did a lot of great work during 9/11 in NYC for a lot of these charities.

He also owned and operated a few Italian restaurants in the NYC area.  He could have made the Hall of Fame if he had chosen a different path.  Instead of becoming a pinch hitter in his latter career days he could have gone to an American League team and become a DH.  Instead he chose to remain with the Mets and loved NYC immensely as well as his restaurants.  But it was his charity work in the area that kept him here.

Just a class individual and wish there were more like him.  He will be missed so much.  I met him in Spring Training for the Mets when I was young and was quite nice.  Also in the Mets restaurant at Shea Stadium about 15 years ago and talked a bit with him. 

He will be missed!

• 2 weeks later...