The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

It's a double dose of death. :boohoo:

Two icons of our '70s childhood, Reuben Kincaid (Dave Madden)and The Professor (Russell Johnson), have shuffled off this mortal coil. The Professor has finally made it off the island and Reuben is at last free of Danny Partridge's shenanigans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/arts/television/russell-johnson-the-professor-on-gilligans-island-dies-at-89.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/arts/television/dave-madden-of-the-partridge-family-dies-at-82.html

If you are a Generation X'er or a Millenial, you probably can't imagine how ingrained "Gilligan's Island" and "The Partridge Family" is inside us kids who watched that show growing up, both in prime time and on endless afternoon reruns when it was syndicated.

Rest in peace, indeed, Dave Madden and Russell Johnson.

Definitely agree Strider. I'm with you as well as these two shows were a big part of my growing up years as well as The Brady Bunch!

I could not believe it. It was the first head line on line. It's so sad. They are saying it was possibly by heroin.

It's such a shame.......this is what Yahoo said....

" The New York Times, citing a law enforcement official, said investigators found a syringe in Hoffman's arm and an envelope containing what was believed to be heroin."

It beggars belief, really. What an extraordinary actor yet humble person he was. As a cinema critic said on TV today, you didn't see PSH on screen, you saw the character. Whomever your higher being is, pray that his three young children and his family can come to terms with this senseless death.

This is so sad, he was one of the most talented actors, came across as a nice person. Horrible to see someone so young and talented go out like this. My thoughts are with his family.

R.I.P.

Neil Young got it so right, The Needle And The Damage Done.

Can't believe he's dead. Loved him in Almost Famous and Boogie Nights.

I really liked him in 'Punch Drunk Love' and 'Doubt.'

Fucking drugs claims another one.

'Cause when I put a spike into my vein, and I'll tell ya' things aren't quite the same'

<_<

I feel terrible for his children. I can't imagine what they saw leading up to his death. Addiction affects everyone, not just the user. (Not to mention the risk of HIV.)

I hope they have good folks around them.

Edited by planted

No-one deserves to die, even of a Heroin overdose.

I don't really understand this sentiment.

We all die.

He was a victim of his own appetites.

I could understand this sentiment for an innocent victim of violence of some sort.

But he obviously obtained 49 bags of heroin and got busy.

So he got what he deserved.

Not much different than if he played Russian Roulette and put a bullet through his head.

Certainly I don't feel he deserved to die, but he definitely got what he deserved.

It's sad and people feel a loss for a talented actor.

Who knows what demons drove him to such excess.

But it's not always that, either.

Sometimes it's just plain narcissism.

People gain popularity, and the wealth that comes with it and become hedonists.

Who knows?

One thing's for sure - heroin is no joke.

Once it sinks its hooks in, it's a proven killer.

Hi TypeO^^

I can see your side, but addiction to anything bad can be dangerous. Who knows how he got started on this shit! Who gave him his first dose.

I can tell you that after losing someone extremely close to me that I had to walk away from, then 10 years later he shot himself in the head because he was so out of it. This was a guy who had everything going for him. Looks, smart, fun, talented, he had it all. I saw the change in him and tried for a year to help. He did stop for almost 3 years, only to start it again. It broke my heart to see this happen. I truly believe that he did not want to die but this shit had a hold on him that was stronger than he was.

PSH was extremely talented and narcissism does not seem to fit his personalty IMHO.

You are right,heroin is no joke. I can't listen to Steppenwolf's The Pusher without thinking about my friend.

Hi TypeO^^

I can see your side, but addiction to anything bad can be dangerous. Who knows how he got started on this shit! Who gave him his first dose.

I can tell you that after losing someone extremely close to me that I had to walk away from, then 10 years later he shot himself in the head because he was so out of it. This was a guy who had everything going for him. Looks, smart, fun, talented, he had it all. I saw the change in him and tried for a year to help. He did stop for almost 3 years, only to start it again. It broke my heart to see this happen. I truly believe that he did not want to die but this shit had a hold on him that was stronger than he was.

PSH was extremely talented and narcissism does not seem to fit his personalty IMHO.

You are right,heroin is no joke. I can't listen to Steppenwolf's The Pusher without thinking about my friend.

Personal experience always intensifies feelings on a subject for sure.

And while his persona and image may not reflect narcissism, his actions surely did.

I just posted a link in another thread to an article written and published literally at the same time news of his death broke, and while it was scathing, it made very legitimate points, the most important being the following -

This is a father who had a son born in 2003, a daughter in 2006 and another daughter in 2008, and abused narcotics and did heroin in spite of those responsibilities that are properly assumed by moral and rational people to be not just his obligation, but a sacred trust.

This certainly isn't kind, but it's true, nonetheless.

That is a significant time period - 11 years - to make the necessary changes in your life to assume the responsibility inherent in raising children.

Unless it just isn't as important to you as the drug.

Again, RIP to a life cut short, full of promise and potential as well as accomplishments.

I'm certainly not a hater, I enjoyed him in many movies, most recently I discovered him in The Talented Mr. Ripley, where, ironically, he played - unsurprisingly quite convincingly, as with so many of his roles - the very type of hedonistic, narcissistic elitist that he now appears to possibly have actually been.