Saxon thread

weslgarlic

Any Saxon fans out there ?
I can't make up my mind whether to see 'Saxon' at the 'O2 Academy Leeds' on Wednesday, 24th April 2013. I might just buy a ticket on the night.
I had some of their earlier albums , sort of went off my radar , I've always missed them in concert over the years , I will probably know someone there and I've been told they are great live , It's matter of whether I can be bothered

Oh, I thought you meant Saxon as in the peoples who moved out of Germanic - Frankish lands during the late fifth century and settled into modern day England. My bad.

Oh hahahaha...sic ..I'm suprised you did n't think the Black Sabbath thread was about a Boris Karloff film

which is a tenuous link that the Saxon's track "wheels of Steel " nicks it's from the Black Sabbath riff from their track " Rock 'n' Roll Doctor "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwKRyizwEKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6a4v9ddWTw

• 5 years later...

Became a fan pretty recently. Discovered these guys by sheer luck!

A song called Thin Red Line was playing at a local record shop. I loved it and asked the store owner about the song and boom! The rest as they say, is history! :D 

I have given so many bands in the heavy metal genre a try during these past 5 months, and I have faced a pretty common trend: while the bands that I have tried listening to, have albums with a song or two that I like, I have faced so many instances wherein the rest of the album in question, tends to falls flat on its face, leaving me feeling underwhelmed and extremely frustrated! This has happened with bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Slipknot, Witch, etc. But not with these guys! I was about to give up on the heavy metal genre when I found this band! I even listened to their work from 2016 called Into The Labyrinth and I loved it! Like Tool and Pentagram, Saxon is yet another band in the heavy metal genre that I can listen to, for hours without getting bored! I guess excessive growling, screaming and horribly loud guitar riffs just don't cut it for me! I need melody. I need a story. Yes. I am very pedantic!

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87
spelling

5 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Became a fan pretty recently. Discovered these guys by sheer luck!

A song called Thin Red Line was playing at a local record shop. I loved it and asked the store owner about the song and boom! The rest as they say, is history! :D 

I have given so many bands in the heavy metal genre a try during these past 5 months, and I have faced a pretty common trend: while the bands that I have tried listening to, have albums with a song or two that I like, I have faced so many instances wherein the rest of the album in question, tends to falls flat on its face, leaving me feeling underwhelmed and extremely frustrated! This has happened with bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Slipknot, Witch, etc. But not with these guys! I was about to give up on the heavy metal genre when I found this band! I even listened to their work from 2016 called Into The Labyrinth and I loved it! Like Tool and Pentagram, Saxon is yet another band in the heavy metal genre that I can listen to, for hours without getting bored! I guess excessive growling, screaming and horribly loud guitar riffs just don't cut it for me! I need melody. I need a story. Yes. I am very pedantic!

I saw them loads of times in the 80's supporting various bands and on their own. I caught them first at Manchester UMIST ( Union of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology) with another up and coming band Iron Maiden. £2 on the door. IM were awful. We shouted them off

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2013 at 4:24 AM, weslgarlic said:

Saxon's track "wheels of Steel " nicks it's from the Black Sabbath riff from their track " Rock 'n' Roll Doctor "

Thank fck someone else's said it! I thought that when I saw it on TOTPs way back in 1981, but you're the only other person I've heard say it.
I'm not even vaguely approaching any kind of Saxon fan - I suppose you could say I've seen them, as I was at the first Donington in 1980,
although I went for a wander while they were on, so I guess it's more like I've 'heard' them live...;)
Mind you, I did see Biff Byford waiting for a coach in the open-air part of the old Barnsley bus station in 1982.
He was sporting a sheepskin jacket, so he was clearly off duty...  

Edited by Brigante

• 11 months later...

The girlfriend (now Mrs JTM) and I saw Saxon sometime in 79 touring their first album, their backdrop was of the cover of said album. This was in a nightclub we were sat at our usual table side on to stage left. I was slightly amused by the bald headed bass player with his huge moustache bouncing around like a spring lamb, very un rock n roll looking I thought. The guitar player did his little solo spot part of which included an awful stab at the 'star spangled banner', me being me at the time thinking I was quite witty shouted out "Don't give up yer day jobs" I just got his  wide mouthed grin from vocalist Bif Byford.  Was I wrong, forty years on they're still banging it out, not my cup of tea, I've never bought anything by them but good luck to them, happy fortieth anniversary Saxon.

Edited by JTM
comma added.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...