Live Carosuelambra

JesseNoah

I have heard the band was going to add this to the 1980 setlist, are there any recordings of their rehearsals playing this song? I would love to hear what it would have sounded like live!

I can't imagine how they'd to it unless they added another person to the lineup. I'm also not so sure if, given their health at the time, Bonzo or Page could have played their parts live.

They at least wanted to rehearse it, and apparently did so in 2007 as well -- they must have found a way!

Your second point might be on the money: The question is, how much actual rehearsal occurred before Bonham's passing?

They at least wanted to rehearse it, and apparently did so in 2007 as well -- they must have found a way!

Your second point might be on the money: The question is, how much actual rehearsal occurred before Bonham's passing?

I know Jones is pretty nifty at using bass pedals but replicating the bass part on that track would require footwork like muhammed ali at his peak!

From memory they only had the one rehearsal for the '80 US tour but cut it short around midnight as Bonham was so drunk.

I've read in Dave Lewis' book The Concert File page 131 that they were rehearsing Carouselambra as well as In The Evening, and Hot Dog for Knebworth but Carouselambra never made it into the final set list. He also reports they worked on Wearing and Tearing . He mentions that video footage of the rehearsals was shot for possible future use.

I know Jones is pretty nifty at using bass pedals but replicating the bass part on that track would require footwork like muhammed ali at his peak!

From memory they only had the one rehearsal for the '80 US tour but cut it short around midnight as Bonham was so drunk.

Exactly what I was thinking... JPJ's melodic Bass makes the opening section of the track..

Exactly what I was thinking... JPJ's melodic Bass makes the opening section of the track..

Yeah, I can't imagine what the song would sound like without that bass part...the tune would sound pretty empty with yer normal bass pedal style part. "Dum-dum-dum-dum..." Nah, wouldn't work...

I suppose Page would have used the doubleneck live as he did on the studio version, yeah?

:yourock: That is what I wanted to hear! thank you!

Bear in mind that rehearsal was actually prior to the main recording of In Through the Out Door by a few months, and by the 1980 tour rehearsals by almost two years -- it might either have been tighter, or more loose, depending on how far-gone some of the members were.

Still, good as an indication of "what might have been."

Still, good as an indication of "what might have been."

Thats what I wanted to hear, how it would sound live without over dubs (and minus that groovy bass work)

Kinda like OTH&FA without the acoustic intro, or Ten years gone with JPJ picking up all the slack, or live When The Levee Breaks....when you cant pull off your studio greatness live, how will you approach it? That is what I love about listening to the live stuff!

How about we discuss what this song is about?

Any guesses? I really know little of the tune because they never played it live. I tend to learn over the past 25 years more about the songs they played live vs. not

Isn't part of it about Page's decline and resulting withdrawal (in spirit if not physically) from the core of the band's creative process?

Yeah I heard it was about that too. About Jimmy's addiction to Heroin.

Isn't part of it about Page's decline and resulting withdrawal (in spirit if not physically) from the core of the band's creative process?

That's a good idea, yeah. Hoskyns' book and the lyrics themselves seem to reflect that.

I could never decipher what the lyrics actually were as the mix was so muddy but i read somewhere Fool in the Rain was directed at Page and his smack habit.

I could never decipher what the lyrics actually were as the mix was so muddy but i read somewhere Fool in the Rain was directed at Page and his smack habit.

Hate to disappoint the heroin obsessed but that comment is false.

...I've never heard that interpretation. Seems a bit stretched -- it's really just a continuation of the earlier, "Heartbreaker"-type songs.

Go read the lyrics to "Carouselambra," listen to the song, and picture the time period -- it makes sense, and is backed up by Robert's cryptic statements.

Archived