Live Carosuelambra

JesseNoah

Hate to disappoint the heroin obsessed but that comment is false.

Not disappointed at all and i'm not heroin obsessed unless it's relevant ie affecting the music!

So what is it about then and prehaps you could enlighten us about what the lyrics to carouselambra are about too? Pray tell.

Don't confuse the issue. You really need to read a post before you quote it.

Robert Plant publicly stated what his lyrics to Carouselambra represented. Fool in the Rain was the polar opposite to that topic. Not every song is about dope.

"Fool in the Rain" is simple: It's about a guy who's stuck waiting for a woman on a street-corner -- suggestive of the prostitute-like lyrics of "Heartbreaker," until the revelation at the end that the singer has been on the wrong corner.

Plant, assumedly from a 2003 interview with Barney Hoskyns, had this to say about the song:

Parts of "Carouselambra" were really good, especially the darker minor dirges that Pagey developed. I rue it now because the lyrics on "Carouselambra" were about that environment and that situation. The whole story of Led Zeppelin in its later years is in that song, and I can't even hear the words.

(pp.381-382)

If Plant felt as strongly about the song in 2007, it's possible that we have the reason why it was dropped from the set-list and not performed at the reunion concert.

"Fool in the Rain" is simple: It's about a guy who's stuck waiting for a woman on a street-corner -- suggestive of the prostitute-like lyrics of "Heartbreaker," until the revelation at the end that the singer has been on the wrong corner.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Melcore! I was only repeating what i read somewhere years ago. The production is so bad on ITTOD i still can't work out most of the lyrics on it!

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Melcore! I was only repeating what i read somewhere years ago. The production is so bad on ITTOD i still can't work out most of the lyrics on it!

No prob. :P

I have to admit, I felt largely the same way about that album until I bought the "Mastered for iTunes" version last year. Revelatory in it's sound quality.

Haven't watched/listened to that whole vid, but, while it isn't from that rehearsal, it also isn't "fake." It's a bootlegged alternate mix of the song.

Yes, I know that. But if you put something up and call it something it isn't, it is fake in that regard. I hate it when people do that kind of shit, I mean sure misunderstandings happen but deliberately throwing people off, that's just sucky.

According to Robert during an interview in 1985, He told the guys in Zeppelin that if they were going to tour in America in 1980, he was only going to do it IF the set list was tight, with short songs, he wanted all songs to be under 5 minutes with no guitar solo stuff or keyboard stuff, or drum solo things. According to him, he wanted to leave the 70's behind. The Europe tour was all about getting things shorter and tighter. So I doubt that Carosuelambra was tested with the exception of perhaps once or twice at best.

According to Robert during an interview in 1985, He told the guys in Zeppelin that if they were going to tour in America in 1980, he was only going to do it IF the set list was tight, with short songs, he wanted all songs to be under 5 minutes with no guitar solo stuff or keyboard stuff, or drum solo things. According to him, he wanted to leave the 70's behind. The Europe tour was all about getting things shorter and tighter. So I doubt that Carosuelambra was tested with the exception of perhaps once or twice at best.

I have a feeling Robert would have been outvoted 3-to-1, if his memory was at all correct in that remembrance.

Jesse forgot to mention the ten-minute "Achilles," which Robert always said he liked, and didn't seem to tire of on the 1980 Tour Over Europe.

As it stands, "Carouselambra" is supposed to have been rehearsed for the American tour...and also at least talked about for the O2 reunion.

I figured Achilles was "new enough" at the time that it went without saying, but white summer was a decade old in 1980! Jimmy would introduce black dog as an old one...

White Summer should have been dropped my 1980 as well, Page just simply wasn't up to playing it and doing justice to it most of the time.

white summer was a decade old in 1980!

Technically older.

White Summer should have been dropped my 1980 as well, Page just simply wasn't up to playing it and doing justice to it most of the time.

Probably so.

Archived