So Nutrocker and Strider, are you intimating if Godfather got a copy of "Not For Sale," May 18,1977, in raw source cassette copies, not the copies I had digitized, they could digitize and possibly stir voodoo magic in their cauldron as they saw fit, and that might expand our minds a little further?

They certainly could do no worse than what I did with the raw source...:lol: Seriously, though, I'm quite sure they have access to a lot better sound editing equipment than my Sony Sound Forge 8- as Strider and I have been speculating the good people at Godfather probably do their thing using proper studio gear in at least a halfway proper studio. Thing is, though, they'd more or less be doing the same kind of work on that recording that I did: speed correction, patching, EQ, except on better equipment, that's all.

Not that I'm suggesting that you send 'em the tapes, of course- that would sort of defeat the purpose of the whole project, wouldn't it?

Yes, I'm sure I mean the '71 montreux show, I'm not sure if i have the '70 one. I got it recently, a remaster, maybe it's an upgrade from what you have heard? Or maybe we just have different tastes. It doesn't sound too bad at all to my ears, and considering the performance quality I can put up with not perfect quality. I suppose it isn't one of the best.

Now the 9/9/71 show i can see where you are coming from. It's not unlistenable by any means, though. The sound is a bit warming to me, and I love the performance.

Those were meant to be shows I enjoy listening to, not a definitive list of the best of the best. Sorry if i didn't make that clear. I'm a bit new to LZ bootlegs, and I don't really know what I'm talking about. I don't mind listening to some poorer sounding shows if the performance is good.

If you need help with queen bootlegs I'm the guy :P

So Nutrocker and Strider, are you intimating if Godfather got a copy of "Not For Sale," May 18,1977, in raw source cassette copies, not the copies I had digitized, they could digitize and possibly stir voodoo magic in their cauldron as they saw fit, and that might expand our minds a little further?

I wouldn't intimate that at all. For one thing, audience tapes are a different story than soundboards. I mean, there's only so much you can do with the 9/19/70 tape...I don't think a professional studio is going to be able to improve that very much.

Secondly, if I receive a cassette copy from someone with expressed instructions not to let it out to anyone, especially bootleg companies, I follow those directions to a T. Hell, I wouldn't even begin to know how to contact something like a Godfatherecords or EVSD or Wendy in the first place.

fwiw, it doesn't matter (at all) whether one is using freeware downloaded from the internet, like audacity, or pro-tools 8000000. It is the persons "ear" who is adjusting/remastering the sound of a given show. Godfather? Most likely really SUCKS. I wanted to return my version of 2/16/75. Robert is not singing in a large cavern. BUT I have heard one good release from them.

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to add that Godfather Records is great. It is really trippy hearing robert singing into a mic'd toilet bowl. If they aren't capable of adding real ambience from audience recordings, and syncing them without a single issue, and adding crowd noise, then NO, they aren't using a professional studio. Most likely a freeware reverb & EQ plug-in.

At least they don't eq the fuck out of their stuff. And, I am basing my opinion on their 2/16/75 and 3/11/75 releases. Just, kinda, not worth it.

Whatever happened to STEREO EQ? And STEREO reverb? Hell, I was born in the late 80's and sure feel like stereo equalizers have already been forgotten, which were a thing of the 70/80s.

You'd think that on Godfatherrecord's release of 1977/07/17, they'd be able to get rid of the tape noise and the sound of whatever was previously recorded on the tape. If you listen really closely after No Quarter, you can hear what sounds like a movie trailer faintly playing. It's weird.

I concluded last year that, for me, Zeppelin's best concert was 5-25-75 (performance, vibe, set list, humor....). But it's not necessarily the best recording.

Best recording is hard to narrow down. I primary vote for the '75 soundboards, especially 2-12 and 2-14. And I really dig 5-25-77.

It's really a matter of personal taste, but I find Godfather's releases abysmal at best. They also never present any new recordings, and are entirely based on the work of other labels.

Also: I'd like to add the Dortmund and Cologne 1980 SBDs as candidates for "very good," if not "best," recordings.

is it me or does godfathers' releases sound like a certain "remasterer" that has long been active in the Zep boot community? It sounds like this one individuals remasters, but I don't want to say their name. Now they just sell their remasters I guess?

just sayin'

is it me or does godfathers' releases sound like a certain "remasterer" that has long been active in the Zep boot community? It sounds like this one individuals remasters, but I don't want to say their name. Now they just sell their remasters I guess?

just sayin'

Why not name names? It may be the only way to solve the mystery...

• 3 weeks later...

Do you (all) agree that having both the complete un-edited concerts from 6-25 and 6-27 (edit: 1972) would easily be the best the band could offer fans like us (or equally as great as the best)?

think about it. check studio daze snippet from long beach. no quaaludes those nights!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've spent some time reading threads and downloading a couple of shows.

I now realize that unfortunately the level of sound quality I personally need to enjoy a show is MUCH higher than most others. :(

With many of the top cited favorites I simply can't get past the audio quality of the recording to enjoy the actual performance.

Thus far the only (unofficially released) show I've heard that's up to the baseline I need for enjoyment is Four Blocks in the Snow.

With that as a point of reference, are there any other shows worth listening to that are equal to that one when it comes to SQ?

Thanks for any insight you can share!

Check out 1971/11/13 and 1977/04/10.

I now realize that unfortunately the level of sound quality I personally need to enjoy a show is MUCH higher than most others. :(

With many of the top cited favorites I simply can't get past the audio quality of the recording to enjoy the actual performance.

Thus far the only (unofficially released) show I've heard that's up to the baseline I need for enjoyment is Four Blocks in the Snow.

With that as a point of reference, are there any other shows worth listening to that are equal to that one when it comes to SQ?

Sorry, but if your audio standards for bootlegs are so persnickety that 2/12/75 is your minimum level of tolerance, then I'm afraid I can't help you. More's the pity, as there are some mighty amazing shows with very good sound quality I'd like to recommend...6/23/77 For Badgeholders Only; 6/21/77 Listen to This, Eddie; 9/14/71 Going to California; 3/7/70 Montreux; 4/24/69 & 4/27/69 Fillmore West; 10/10/69 L'Olympia.

But I'm afraid you'd find them sub-standard if "Four Blocks..." is your baseline.

Check out 1971/11/13 and 1977/04/10.

Is that a joke referencing April 10, 1977 or do you have a better product than I? Out of all their shows this is my holy of holies because this was my one and only Zeppelin show I actually attended. The version I had was abysmal, just horrible (sound quality, not performance) so I tossed it.

If you have a better source I am all ears...and wallet! I desperately want a good quality recording of this show.

You may be reacting to the fact that Four Blocks is a matrix, a mix of a soundboard tape and an audience tape. I find these matrixed shows to be some of the most pleasant to listen to as well. You get the clear vocals, tight midbass, and non-warbley keyboards from the soundboard recording WITH the loud guitar, low bass, and, most importantly, the awesome "Live Show" vibe of the audience recording. However, BEWARE, a poorly done matrix can be absolutely horrible to listen to.

Archived