^^ give Frankfurt 1980 a chance! Find the matrix!!

My favorite and 2nd favorite from each year,

1969- San Francisco 4/27/69. 2) Texas 8/31/69.

1970- LA Forum 9/4/70. 2) Montreux 3/7/70.

1971- Orlando 8/31/71. 2) Japan 9/24/71 (Your Time Is Gonna Come!) 9/29/71 is close though. If LA shows were better.... :(

1972- LA Forum 6/25/72. 2) Alexandria Palace 12/22/72.

1973- Southampton 1/22/73. 2) Seattle 7/17/73.

1975- Vancouver 3/20/75. 2) Earl's Court 5/25/75.

1977- LA Forum 6/23/77. 2) LA Forum 6/21/77.

1979- Knebworth 8/4/79. 2) Copenhagen 7/24/79.

1980- Frankfurt 6/30/80. 2) Switzerland 6/29/80.

I have a feeling that if high quality soundboards or audience recordings existed from each LA Forum show my list would be LA FORUM!!! Definitely the greatest place for live Zeppelin. Millard should have been there in 1971 and 1973!!

I was under the impression that those LA 71 shows were some of the best of the NA tour that year. I've only listened to parts of 8/21. Would you kind enough to explain why you don't think they're up to snuff? BTW not asking in a jack-ass tone, just genuinely curious.

Thx

I was under the impression that those LA 71 shows were some of the best of the NA tour that year. I've only listened to parts of 8/21. Would you kind enough to explain why you don't think they're up to snuff? BTW not asking in a jack-ass tone, just genuinely curious.

Thx

You're right! I meant "if LA shows were better" as in sound quality, not performance wise. They are certainly 2 of the best shows of the tour, if not the 2 best shows of the tour! But the sound quality is far from the best, however they aren't terrible or unlistenable compared to some..

That's why I included if high quality soundboard or audience tapes existed for every LA Forum show, then my entire list would likely be LA haha.

You're right! I meant "if LA shows were better" as in sound quality, not performance wise. They are certainly 2 of the best shows of the tour, if not the 2 best shows of the tour! But the sound quality is far from the best, however they aren't terrible or unlistenable compared to some..

That's why I included if high quality soundboard or audience tapes existed for every LA Forum show, then my entire list would likely be LA haha.

Damn, somehow I overlooked that part of your post. Sorry about that.

The soundboard bootleg I have enojyed the most was from the Dallas show March 4, 1975.

Why ? ?

Because I was there, experiencing it with a 3rd row seat.

If I get in the "right state of mid"... then this is a magical experience.

I'm transported back in time, and the past "is present".

I love the opening set up, with Bonzo yelling "Louder, Louder"...

Some of my favorite moments from other live recordings, are the good acoustic sets.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently been listening to some of the less mentioned shows that I have thoroughly enjoyed both for sound and performance. Always nice to discover a new (to me) show that is of good quality. These in particular I'm listening to:

1969-11-06 - San Fran - Winterland Party (Wendy)
1971-08-31 - Orlando Magic (Eelgrass)
1971-09-09 - Hampton, VA - High Heeled Sneakers (Godfather)
1971-09-23 - Tokyo - King Of Monsters
1977-04-25 - Louisville, KY - Kentucky Colonels

1977-06-19 - San Diego - Mike Millard's Mystery Train
1977-06-27 - LA Forum - Deep Striker (mentioned this famous date as I rate DS, just, over the Mike The Mike Winston remaster)

I see I haven't included any 72, 73 or 75 releases; that's due to the decent quality releases in this period being well known. I wanted to throw some shows/releases out there that perhaps people haven't really had a chance to listen to or perhaps have overlooked (note the use of 'perhaps :-) )

I've recently been listening to some of the less mentioned shows that I have thoroughly enjoyed both for sound and performance. Always nice to discover a new (to me) show that is of good quality. These in particular I'm listening to:

1969-11-06 - San Fran - Winterland Party (Wendy)

1971-08-31 - Orlando Magic (Eelgrass)

1971-09-09 - Hampton, VA - High Heeled Sneakers (Godfather)

1971-09-23 - Tokyo - King Of Monsters

1977-04-25 - Louisville, KY - Kentucky Colonels

1977-06-19 - San Diego - Mike Millard's Mystery Train

1977-06-27 - LA Forum - Deep Striker (mentioned this famous date as I rate DS, just, over the Mike The Mike Winston remaster)

I see I haven't included any 72, 73 or 75 releases; that's due to the decent quality releases in this period being well known. I wanted to throw some shows/releases out there that perhaps people haven't really had a chance to listen to or perhaps have overlooked (note the use of 'perhaps :-) )

I too think EVSD's release of 1977/06/27 is the best-sounding version of this show. It still needed a little EQ in the high end but once that's applied it's golden.

• 3 weeks later...

The huge zep fan that i am, I really cant say which is the best. I really dont think there is a best! But Earls court, the 18th or 23rd are really amazing. And the uniondale concerts 75. And LA 77. There is High points from each year.

I too think EVSD's release of 1977/06/27 is the best-sounding version of this show. It still needed a little EQ in the high end but once that's applied it's golden.

Never heard the EVSD myself, I've got the old TDOLZ Sunset. I never even bothered with the 1st Gen Millard version, 'cos I knew there were cuts in it.

The huge zep fan that i am, I really cant say which is the best. I really dont think there is a best!

It's much easier to come up with 'what's the worst Zeppelin concert recording'. Some of the bad '77 recordings are pretty damn bad, that much I know. The Atlanta '77 recording is a frustrating listen- if the guy had just kept the recorder in his lap instead on the floor under his seat it would sound a lot better, and there's a really good performance under all that distortion.

It's much easier to come up with 'what's the worst Zeppelin concert recording'. Some of the bad '77 recordings are pretty damn bad, that much I know. The Atlanta '77 recording is a frustrating listen- if the guy had just kept the recorder in his lap instead on the floor under his seat it would sound a lot better, and there's a really good performance under all that distortion.

Yeah but see, I dont think that really ANY of the 77 shows were bad at all, except Tempe and San Diego. I am an avid listener, I seriously love zep and i listen and listen and listen every day non stop almost and i really cant say that 77 was as bad as people say it is. 77 was AWESOME more than it was bad. I mean really it really was an awesome tour. It rivals 75 or even 72! But thats just the way I feel.in my own opinion from my own experience and listening of zep. Every single 77 show had great moments! Even Tempe and San Diego had great moments!IDK i guess i am such a huge fan that i just love everything LOL or maybe its the truth :)

• 3 months later...

Listen to this Eddie. The quality of the tape, performance,makes you feel like you time traveled to 1977. The best aud tape ive ever heard. 

Really? I have a 'Listen to this Eddy' - but it is far from the best bootleg I have. I am dying to hear that intro when Bonham is at his most BEAST to TSRTS in a better quality than I have. I almost burst when I hear it now!

Maybe Hunter has a better sounding one on his blog, I'll check....

Really? I have a 'Listen to this Eddy' - but it is far from the best bootleg I have. I am dying to hear that intro when Bonham is at his most BEAST to TSRTS in a better quality than I have. I almost burst when I hear it now!

Maybe Hunter has a better sounding one on his blog, I'll check....

Seek out the Winston Remaster. 

For a chaotic party type feel I like the 'Deep Throat' triple set from the end of the '75 US Tour. From '77 soundboards it's the Powhaten Confederacy. For Zep regular vibe I listen to the Earls Court 24th gig on SIRA.

Hey I spot me another '77 fan. Powhatan Confederacy is a good gig from 5/28, a good listen all around. I love anything from '77 as long as the sound quality is decent. 5/30/77 is my favorite, and 5/22/77 too lately. But, IMO there is nothing better than their live gigs with an acoustic set. I just think they sold themselves short by skipping the acoustic stuff. And then to be bashed in the face by Kashmir and Achilles after the acoustic set. :lol: Not to mention the whole set leading to the acoustic set is GOLDEN.

I'll repost a list later, when I have a few more ideas. Deep Throat gigs are golden, for sure, even without the dynamics of the acoustic set, or should I say "11, acoustic, then back to 11" ^_^

The soundboard bootleg I have enojyed the most was from the Dallas show March 4, 1975.

Why ? ?

Because I was there, experiencing it with a 3rd row seat.

I can relate to that. I have a tape for almost every show I have been at except for two. I love the fact that I can go back and hear what I lived over and over again if I so chose, not to mention being able to listen to hundreds of shows from many bands that I would never have been able to see in person.  :drool:

From '77 soundboards it's the Powhaten Confederacy. 

Hey I spot me another '77 fan. Powhatan Confederacy is a good gig from 5/28, a good listen all around.

Good gawd, guys, I know it's all about personal tastes and whatnot but not only is the 5/28 show probably the worst sounding '77 soundboard recording (though still preferable to the distant audience recording), 5/28 is one of the worst gigs of the tour! Page having an off night is one thing, but when Page and Bonham are both off their game it makes for a very sloppy show.

Good gawd, guys, I know it's all about personal tastes and whatnot but not only is the 5/28 show probably the worst sounding '77 soundboard recording (though still preferable to the distant audience recording), 5/28 is one of the worst gigs of the tour! Page having an off night is one thing, but when Page and Bonham are both off their game it makes for a very sloppy show.

I could have sworn I made a post saying the exact same thing, sure enough I hadn't clicked submit. Yeah 28/5/77 is one of the worst shows of the tour, I've read that Page was so out of it that he had to be literally carried off stage and he dropped the prized doublekneck behind his back after Stairway, luckily a roadie was there and quick on his feet and caught it before it hit the ground. The whole show is very sluggish and never really picks up, Kashmir and NQ from what I remember are particularly meandering, although I haven't listened to the show in a while. Jimmy and Bonzo I seem to remember get completely lost for a while during NQ and it sounds pretty disjointed.

I also agree that this is one of the worser sounding boards from '77, sounding even muddier than the following nights recording and very flat.

^^^

Actually, Tom, "No Quarter" from the May 28 show isn't bad -one of the few highlights of the entire gig, for sure. I think it's the May 26 NQ where Page and Bonzo sound lost. But yer right, "sluggish" is a good description for the May 28 show, and in fact might be overly complimentary :lol: Plus another 35 minute marathon monotonous boring drum solo...oy vey!

Certainly not a weekly listen, but I really dig Moby Dick from June 25 1972.

When I got Listen to this, Eddie on cd  'over the top'  got repeated listening too. Anyhow I loathed the studio version on LZII ever since I bought that album in 1973, but a couple of his live solo's really cook.

Certainly not a weekly listen, but I really dig Moby Dick from June 25 1972.

When I got Listen to this, Eddie on cd  'over the top'  got repeated listening too. Anyhow I loathed the studio version on LZII ever since I bought that album in 1973, but a couple of his live solo's really cook.

I've grown to like Bonzo's Montreux over Moby Dick. Seems more fluid, more melodic, more musical ideas imo. Moby Dick was literally just a bunch of drum exercises/warm-ups cut and pasted together. 

Drum solo? if at the gig go to bar, if listening at home got to kitchen and cook dinner :D

And depending on the length of the drum solo, cook dinner and have time to eat it too!

I've grown to like Bonzo's Montreux over Moby Dick. Seems more fluid, more melodic, more musical ideas imo. Moby Dick was literally just a bunch of drum exercises/warm-ups cut and pasted together. 

And unfortunately the studio versions sounds like a cut and paste job, I mean, if you listen closely you can hear the edits. They should have used a live version, even if edited down to five or six minutes- would have done "Moby Dick" more justice IMO. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another few releases that I've heard this (last) year and rate highly are:

• 1969-04-27 - Fillmore West, San Francisco - Avocado Blues (Liquid Led) - Jimmy sounds like he's playing right next to you.
  • 1973-05-14 - Municipal Auditorium - New Orleans - Bourbon Street Renegades (Audience) - I think the audience sounds better than the SDB
  • 1975-02-13 - Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, NY - The King's Of The Stone Age (EVSD)
  • 1977-05-22 - Tarrant County Convention Center, Fort Worth, TX - Texas Hurricane (EVSD)

Archived