"Kashmir" for me, though I must admit thanks to massive overplay of "Stairway" and "Kashmir" I'm heartily sick of both at this point.

From a songwriting perspective, though, "Stairway" is probably the better composition. "Kashmir" is not only a very repetitive piece of music -which at least partly explains so many iffy live performances of the piece- but it is also at least two minutes too long...

I Like Kashmir better,but I think that stairway to heaven is a once in a lifetime song to write with all the intertwining of electric and acoustic guitar.also do not know of two many rock songs that are performed and perfected like that one was.no drum into at least 3 mns holding it out until the perfect time to bring it in.

Kashmir played on his Les Paul.

Don't agree? Watch Celebration Day!

He played it on the Les Paul in 1975 as well, but I agree, "Kashmir" is probably the highlight of the Celebration Day show. IMO -and all due respect to John Bonham- but I reckon "Kashmir" was the one song at that performance where they surpassed every other live version of the song (though "In My time Of Dying" comes awfully close as well). I've tended to blow hot and cold toward the 2007 reunion show, but I've always said that to give them their due they absolutely nailed "Kashmir" on the night.

I prefer Kashmir. The repetition works for me, I find it hypnotic rather than repetitive. If I'm absent mindedly playing a riff in my mind or just humming to myself, it's probably either Four Sticks or Kashmir. Of course, both Kashmir and STH are wonderful and inspired pieces of music.

• 1 year later...

Archived