Jimi Hendrix

gperkins151

Could not find a Jimi thread after doing a few searches. I am very surprised to discover this, as I put him right up there with Zeppelin.

I have been enjoying much of his live stuff lately and would like to ask those of you who have the 4 CD box set "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" (the one with the purple cover) just what you think of it?

It's on sale at a local store (Virgin) for $40.

I haven't purchased the box set yet but I'd say it's very much worth it. I know around Christmas time last year Best Buy put several boxes (including the Hendrix one) on sale for around $30 so you might wanna keep your eye out for more specials. Either way, I'm sure it's a very worthy investment.

40? This is a joke , so get it!I'm a Jimi-collector myself , and have most of his bootlegs also.I also try to see various Jimi-tribute acts , some of them are real good.

Do you notice a high pitched noise at the end (throughout the last minute of the song to be exact) of the live Red House from San Diego, 3/24/69? I bought a download of this from the 4 CD set to sample it and the noise at the end kinda ruins an otherwise superb performance. Just wondering if it's the 192 bitrate or perhaps a problem with the download? I assume you have this one, it was also on In the West.

As for the box, I guess what I should have said is I have the first three studio albums, Band of Gypsies, Live at Woodstock and Fillmore 2CD. Does this box rate ahead of say the Blue Wild Angel Isle of Wight CD or the Live at Berkley CD? I know most of the In the West CD is in the box and the material is otherwise unavailable.

I haven't purchased the box set yet but I'd say it's very much worth it. I know around Christmas time last year Best Buy put several boxes (including the Hendrix one) on sale for around $30 so you might wanna keep your eye out for more specials. Either way, I'm sure it's a very worthy investment.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye open.

Junk sampling....192 vs. 1411 of a full file....

and you BOUGHT it.....

I'll never for the life of me understand this downgraded standard......it's a pity...

I sometimes buy mp3's to try stuff out. In the case of this box set, I was able to sample an entire track for 10 cents. This has helped me to confirm or avoid many recordings in the past so I do it. If I love it, I buy it. If I don't, I spend the money I saved elsewhere.

I agree that the bitrates should be much higher. One of the things some sites are doing is offering higher bitrates for more money, which is better, but if you ask me, 192 should not be the minimum. I think 320 should be the minimum, as it's pretty damn hard to tell the difference between this and the original IMO.

In the case of 'sampling'...I understand that...

I thought you were buying it for your 'collection'....therein lies the difference for me.

I personally hate that so many actually buy mp3's (128k) as the new standard though..for their collection ! When in transit or on computer speakers, I'll admit...a 192 or 320 k bit rate suffices....but the amount that's downloaded and the same people who abandon buying CD's are making CD's an audiophile market...less made..gonna be higher priced...and that's artificial....first time in history the 'standard' is going downhill...

and all the 'dockstations' for iPods....to hook to your grand Bose systems....from mostly such a lousy bitrate !! I laugh at the irony...

Ya gots a point. I spent a solid week ripping all my albums onto my iPod without thinking what the bit rate was... turns out it was all done in 128. D'oh. There's no way I'm reripping all that again, so bands and albums I like more, or I think really need the higher quality, get the 256 treatment. The rest I'm just leaving as is.

Besides, everything wouldn't fit on it if it was all in higher bit rates... I've only 30G to work with here, people.

For transportability....remote listening...nothing wrong with listening that way....

And see...you do the RIGHT THING...you rip from your CD's ! So you have that for the home....please don't support the mp3 industry 'standard' though by buying your music at that bitrate.....

In the 'old' days....we'd make cassettes for the car or remote listening...SURE !! For convienience and we couldn't lug our records everywhere....but we recorded them from VINYL ... bought, borrowed, begged or stolen !! But we had the original full sounding source..and supported THAT industry....

Some just don't care though...that's the rub.....:(

Hi all,

Another thought about "In the West." I found this download on a Russian site and they have quite a different tracklisting than what I have read elsewhwhere:

In the West

Anyone know what to make of this?

One of,if the greatest live albums of all time!IMHO. :D

Is this one of the many records,that is not currently on CD? Shame,.....!

KB

Another thought about "In the West." I found this download on a Russian site and they have quite a different tracklisting than what I have read elsewhwhere:

In the West

Anyone know what to make of this?

The original doesn't have Machine Gun or Stone Free, or the alt. version of Johnny B. Goode. Originally the songs Voodoo Child and Little Wing were attributed to the San Diego Sports Arena where Red House is from. These were actually recorded at the Royal Albert Hall but couldn't be mentioned on the original album because of legal technicalities...

You can see below where each of the songs from the original release were recorded and what releases they are on NOW...so you can reconstruct In The West..from these sources if you like...

Hendrix in the West was re-issued on CD in Germany and in Japan, but it is now deleted from the catalogue, and copies are very rare.

Five of the eight tracks from the album were included on The Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set, released in 2000. The tracks included were "Johnny B. Goode", "Blue Suede Shoes", "Little Wing", "Red House", and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)".

"The Queen" and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" were included on Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight, released in 2002. "Lover Man" as well as the rest of the second Berkeley set was released on 2003's Jimi Hendrix: Live At Berkeley.

original listing....

CD track list:

1. "Johnny B. Goode" (Berry) – 4:45

2. "Lover Man" – 3:05

3. "Blue Suede Shoes" (Perkins) – 4:26

4. "Voodoo Chile" – 7:49

5. "The Queen" (from the British national anthem "God Save the Queen" - traditional) – 2:40

6. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (Lennon/McCartney) – 1:16

7. "Little Wing" – 3:14

8. "Red House" – 13:06

1, 2, 3: Berkeley Community Center, 30 May 1970 (2 & 3 - First Show,1 - Second Show); Hendrix, Mitchell, Cox

4, 7: Royal Albert Hall, 24 Feb 1969; Hendrix, Mitchell, Redding

5, 6: Isle of Wight Festival, 31 Aug 1970; Hendrix, Mitchell, Cox

8: San Diego Sports Arena, 24 May 1969; Hendrix, Mitchell, Redding

The Royal Albert Hall performances were originally attributed to San Diego in an attempt to avoid copyright issues.

Hendrix_in_the_west.jpg

more info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrix_in_the_West

Thansk for all the helpful replies, guys.

Can those of you who own the Jimi Hendrix Experience 4 CD set please check this for me:

Do you notice a high pitched noise at the end (throughout the last minute of the song to be exact) of the live Red House from San Diego, 3/24/69? I bought a download of this from the 4 CD set to sample it and the noise at the end kinda ruins an otherwise superb performance. Just wondering if it's the 192 bitrate or perhaps a problem with the download? I assume you have this one, it was also on In the West.
Edited by gperkins151

When it gets a bit quiet...with just his vocals at one point....'his sister will'....

you can hear his amp noise some, an electronic buzzing ...but otherwise..it sounds fine...

* the date is 5-24-69 btw, in case you look for it in bootleg form.

Edited by Joelmon

When it gets a bit quiet...with just his vocals at one point....'his sister will'....

you can hear his amp noise some, an electronic buzzing ...but otherwise..it sounds fine...

* the date is 5-24-69 btw, in case you look for it in bootleg form.

Thanks!

So, to be perfectly clear: the last minute sounds fine then?

• 2 weeks later...

I love Jimi as well, but I'm no Jimi expert. So here's a question ...

Can anyone help me name a video that I saw many years ago, that I think was a Jimi Hendrix song, possibly Fire?

The video was a kind of psychadelic animation of a woman and she transformed into different poses and images as the video went on, some of them quite erotic. The drawing was very colourful but the background was simply black from what I remember.

I've been looking for this on Youtube and other places but can't find it anywhere. I thought I might be imagining it, but someone on another forum has seen it too so I know that it exists, although I'm not sure if it's by Jimi Hendrix or someone else. I presume the video is late 60's, early 70's. I saw it in the early 80's (I think!!).

Anyone have any ideas about who/what it is and where I can find it? I'm really becoming obsessed with finding this. It's driving me to distraction. I'm even having dreams about it! So please help me if you can. Thanks!