Jimi Hendrix

gperkins151

My dad was going through his record collection the other day and found a copy of Are You Experienced, still in shrink wrap. Just the side had been removed to get the sleeve out, but otherwise, it was just like it was in the record store when he bought it. We put it on his turntable, and let me tell you....Purple Haze sounds really, REALLY good coming out of two huge cabinet speakers.

Hey, I'm working on a Jimi Hendrix illistration/portrait based on the acoustic 12 string session in his movie..... thought y'all might dig.... lots of work to do on it.

Looking good,man :)

My dad was going through his record collection the other day and found a copy of Are You Experienced, still in shrink wrap. Just the side had been removed to get the sleeve out, but otherwise, it was just like it was in the record store when he bought it. We put it on his turntable, and let me tell you....Purple Haze sounds really, REALLY good coming out of two huge cabinet speakers.

Nice!

• 3 months later...

I`m totally freaking out with Freedom album live Jimi...

I'm not impressed, it has it's good moments, overall though it's not hard to hear why it has bee stuck in the vaults     for so long, apart from it's partial release on the Alan Douglas 'Stages' box set from the  early 90's. Awful solo in Voodoo Chile and SSB is pretty bad. A three out of five rating for me.

^ Showtime had this "Electric Church" documentary, from the Atlanta 1970 Pop Festival. I enjoyed most of it, once it got going. The first half hour was all short interviews, and not all the songs he performed were shown. I thought the soloing was fantastic, and probably the best version of the Star Spangled Banner that he's done (it was July 4th, and they had fireworks going off behind him).  

Noel Redding vs. Billy Cox? It didn't seem like Cox had the presence of Redding, in this last Atlanta show. I'm more familiar with Redding, like in the Monterey show. I know Cox knew Hendrix from a long way back, and Redding didn't like the controlled environment. But playing wise, I prefer Redding.

Noel Redding vs. Billy Cox? It didn't seem like Cox had the presence of Redding, in this last Atlanta show. I'm more familiar with Redding, like in the Monterey show. I know Cox knew Hendrix from a long way back, and Redding didn't like the controlled environment. But playing wise, I prefer Redding.

Despite his contribution to the distinctive sound the band had on the first two LPs, Redding overestimated his role and was replaced with another sideman. I've always felt it was very gracious of Hendrix to include Redding's crap songs on Axis:Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland

Noel Redding and Billy Cox were as different as Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles were both personality and style wise. I think he was most comfortable with the 1970 line-up of Mitchell and Cox as they were the most supportive and in touch with his musical direction. And they didn't complicate things with personal agendas.

^ Any mention of Noel Redding always gets the same response - all about his attitude. But I don't see where it affected the Experience's output or performances. It affected Redding and his future, though.

As a big Jack Casady fan, I'm very intrigued by the little stint he did with Hendrix in 1968. But I haven't found any videos of that - just interviews saying how great it was. If anyone knows of any, that would be great!

Redding and Mitchell were excellent musicians in their own right, right up there with Jimi himself. Cox & Miles were better sidemen, they laid down a solid, very uncomplicated foundation for Jimi to do what he wanted. That was the difference. 

I like both era's, however I break it down like this: The first two albums had better, more accessible songs, more radio friendly. Electric Ladyland was an amazing concept album of sorts and was a Jimi showcase par excellence but the songs were much more eclectic and varied. It was his Bitches Brew IMO. Then you have Band of Gypsies which I love to listen to. As a live album it is not perfect, Jimi makes a ton of mistakes but the centerpiece, Machine Gun, is a jam which cannot be equalled, it is the gold standard of guitar jam live songs. 

Jimi was the zenith of guitar playing IMO, there are much better technical players, but like Jimmy Page, Jimi is an emotive player who bleeds every note from his veins. You could FEEL his playing.

Redding and Mitchell were excellent musicians in their own right, right up there with Jimi himself. Cox & Miles were better sidemen, they laid down a solid, very uncomplicated foundation for Jimi to do what he wanted. That was the difference. 

And that's the difference between Cream and later Eric Clapton projects. So many people bitch about how Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were pricks, yet also lament how boring Clapton became. It could have become the same for Hendrix, if had lived, but collaborated with less experimental musicians. The Experience was about the levels and direction that each musician went in, or at least aspired to.

And that's the difference between Cream and later Eric Clapton projects. So many people bitch about how Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were pricks, yet also lament how boring Clapton became. It could have become the same for Hendrix, if had lived, but collaborated with less experimental musicians. The Experience was about the levels and direction that each musician went in, or at least aspired to.

Agree Jimmie. The fist album of this sort is always pretty good, but after that ego takes over and self-indulgence goes one step beyond into self-parody and boredom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's Why Jimi Hendrix's Backwards Stratocaster Was Awesome

And now you can buy one just like it!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/music/a17922/jimi-hendrix-backwards-stratocaster/

Interesting. I actually turned my pickups upside-down when I first got my guitar, hoping it would create a more distinctive sound. (Hendrix inspired, of course)