Immigrant Song lyrics question

Fair enough, but both zeppelinlyrics.com and led zeppelinlyrics.com have "blow". I know they are just fan sites that's why I'm wondering if official lyrics were ever printed. There's also a site by a guy who said he's done everything humanly possible to get accurate lyrics and he says "blow" too.

Why can't hot springs blow? Aren't they basically geysers?

When I think of a hot spring, I think of a "natural hot tub", if you will. A small, flowing body of water. There are differences between hot springs and geysers: http://library.thinkquest.org/17457/volcanoes/features.geysers.php A hot spring can erupt; then it is called a geyser. But, until that point, it is called a hot spring.

For all we know, Plant could be singing either "blow" or "flow", as I doubt he put much thought into which one was correct. "Where the hot springs blow" does have more of a ring to it than "where the geysers blow". And, I'll admit, it does sound more like Plant is singing "blow".

I don't think that it's worth much time debating which one is correct. Heck, with the double-tracked vocal, he could have sung both "flow" and "blow.

It's blow.

If you don't think hot springs can blow, you have never been to either Iceland or Yellowstone National Park in the U.S.

In case you want to see a hot spring blow:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/yellowstonelive.htm

Old Faithful does blow, and it is a geyser.

This is getting interesting. Gotta go listen to some soundboard shows to see if I can tell. I always thought of hot springs as geysers, but I can see what your saying LD. Funny is that I have been playing the song recently for my son and we were doing the battle cry and the first few lines while riding the Viking boat ride at the Norway exhibit while at EPCOT last Friday. Fun to share the great music with our children, isn't it?!?

According to the Led Zeppelin Complete and Led Zeppelin III Off The Record songbooks by Warner Chappell Music and having seen and heard the song played live, it's blow.

I would take those references as fact over anything posted on the internet.

On the Live on Blueberry Hill (Winston Remaster) bootleg, Plant's voice is very upfront, and it certainly does sound like he sings "blow". Then again, it also depends on the word you're listening for. If you want to hear blow, you'll hear blow, and vice-versa. I'm currently inclined to think that Plant sings "blow". I guess Plant wasn't familiar with the differences between hot springs and geysers. :P

Jimmy really needs to release something new that we can discuss. I don't know how much more minutiae there is to pick apart! :D

Edited by Led Dirigible

I have been listening to Led Zeppelin's Music for 29 years now and I am 100% positive that Robert Plant sings:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

"We come from the land of the ice and snow,

From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

The Hammer of the Gods will drive our ships to new lands,

to fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the Western shore.

AHHHHHH!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!

We come from the land of ice and snow,

From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore,

Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are Your Overlords.

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the Western shore.

So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,

For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing".

I just typed all this from the entire Led Zeppelin "lyrics" that I printed out from the (it now seems) very old Electric Magic, www.LED-ZEPPELIN.COM website (that was when this website had a dash (-) with it. Back then someone who was officiated with the website took the time to decipher and reproduce the entire Led Zeppelin lyric catalog. (I don't think that they reprint official Led Zeppelin lyrics anymore like they used to. Maybe because of or for copyright reasons).

According to the date that is on the bottom right hand side of this massive LZ lyrical printout I made, obviously beginning with LZ1 and ending with Coda, the date I printed all this out was on 05/04/98.

I have had and kept this treasure for over 15 years.

From what I have spoken of, I have every Led Zeppelin lyric(s) at the tip of my fingers. I am not saying that these are all and the complete and accurate words, but I have them and more. Even (according to the old website), the complete lyrics to "Carouselambra".

Edited by kingzoso

I've always heard "blow". I remember I watched School Of Rock when I was younger and there's a scene where Jack Black is singing Immigrant Song, and he definitely says "blow", or at least from what I remember. So that could be why I've always heard "blow". And there seems to be more evidence leaning towards "blow" ^^

It's "blow." There isn't a debate. If you hear "flow," get your ears checked.

Hey, I'm not really invested in one word or the other. Neither would change the general thrust of the lyrics: "We're Vikings and we've come to conquer your land." It's my all-time favorite Zep song. And boy, did Robert Plant look the part with his height, flowing blond hair and beard circa 1970.

Hey, I'm not really invested in one word or the other. Neither would change the general thrust of the lyrics: "We're Vikings and we've come to conquer your land." It's my all-time favorite Zep song. And boy, did Robert Plant look the part with his height, flowing blond hair and beard circa 1970.

It's just...definitely "blow." The "b" even comes through clearly on the 1971.09.29 recording! :P

Edited by Melcórë