Laurence Ratner's Live Dreams Photo Book

Geezer

Hi fellow ZeppHeads.

I have a question about this book and I hope someone with some solid knowledge can help.

I found the Live Dreams photo book at a used bookstore. The dust cover has a large Z on front, not the colorful Jimmy artwork. When you remove the dust cover, the actual cover of the book has only 3 random silver dots. Nothing else. Is that a misprint?

Otherwise the book is perfect. High quality print on top grade paper with several fold out photos. 

I hope someone can shed light on this mystery. Where else to ask if not here?

Thanks! 

Of course you must be right. There could be no other explanation. I didn't realize the colorful Jimmy artwork was attached plastic. And not my lucky day as the 15 page booklet is also missing. Guess that explains the $10 price tag at the used book store. 

Thank you for your help! I knew I came to the right place.

Your name suits you.

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2014 at 8:44 PM, Deborah J said:

I have #1880 of 2000..enjoy:-)

I was thinking about getting this book as I like Ratner's photos but after seeing this YouTube clip I'm going to pass.  It's like 50% Plant, 40% Page and 10% Jones/Bonzo.  Wish it were more balanced with shots of all the lads. 😒

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

I was thinking about getting this book as I like Ratner's photos but after seeing this YouTube clip I'm going to pass.  It's like 50% Plant, 40% Page and 10% Jones/Bonzo.  Wish it were more balanced with shots of all the lads. 😒

If you pass on it you're not a real fan. You'd be hard pressed to find books published in the 70s, 80s, & 90s that aren't 50/40/10.

I wanna say I picked up mine from QVC on tv back in the day.Also offered were some pretty cool Zep tie dyed shirts and a hockey jersey.As far as Live Dreams goes you just dont see books of the like made very often in todays market.Theres some cons with it but still a must have in my opinion.

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

If you pass on it you're not a real fan. You'd be hard pressed to find books published in the 70s, 80s, & 90s that aren't 50/40/10.

Is there a difference in content between the edition with the color plastic decoration on the cover and the hardcover with a black dustcover with a big Z?

15 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Is there a difference in content between the edition with the color plastic decoration on the cover and the hardcover with a black dustcover with a big Z?

To the best of my recollection there is not, but I'd have to compare them side by side to know for certain. What I enjoy the most about Ratner's book, aside from the shots themselves which are phenomenal, is that it showcases several of the mid-Western dates on the tour as opposed to being crammed predominantly with LA & NYC shots. 

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

The contents the same I believe.The copy with the big Z came without the slipcase and possibly without the extra thin booklet.Both copies retailed around 75.00 US originally.Steve made a good point with the photo presentation in this book.

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

To the best of my recollection there is not, but I'd have to compare them side by side to know for certain. What I enjoy the most about Ratner's book, aside from the shots themselves which are phenomenal, is that it showcases several of the mid-Western dates on the tour as opposed to being crammed predominantly with LA & NYC shots. 

Thanks , I went ahead a copped one on ebay for $49 which I think was a good buy. It's in excellent shape , slipcase and book are clean and it has the extra outtakes booklet which the later big Z cover book didn't have. I really like Ratner's photos. I have several prints which I shared here of the Chicago 73 shows and with Sam's help , the Ratner pics helped me identify my photos dates. 

Archived