Is Zeppelin Psychedelic

McSeven

I was just surfing around the net. Do you think that Zeppelin is Psychedelic and if so what songs would they be. One person said that only Led Zep 1 was a Psychedelic album

What do you think? For me. I say songs like DC/HMMT/YTIGC.

To me anything that is Psychedelic has to have this cosmic cloud feeling. It has to be long and jam orientated and at least 6 to 8 minutes long. Long guitar solos and various sounds. Almost like taking the guitar and bass and making them sound like organs.

No.

I was just surfing around the net. Do you think that Zeppelin is Psychedelic and if so what songs would they be. One person said that only Led Zep 1 was a Psychedelic album

To me anything that is Psychedelic has to have this cosmic cloud feeling. It has to be long and jam orientated and at least 6 to 8 minutes long. Long guitar solos and various sounds. Almost like taking the guitar and bass and making them sound like organs.

..."Dazed and Confused" is a psychedelic masterpiece.

They aren't "psychedelic" in the same sense as The Beach Boys or The Beatles were, but they did represent a part of the late-60s evolution. They drifted rather quickly away from the more gimmicky nature of psychedelia to hard-hitting rock, precursor to heavy metal.

No, I can't see how anyone would call LZ psychedelic. There are some psychedelic elements to some of their songs, but incorporating such elements doesn't define the music overall. They played all acoustic songs, but they're not a folk band, and they played the blues, but they're not a blues band. They're a rock and roll band that incorporated different elements and influences in their music.

I would describe the first two of those songs as blues-based and the last as just a rock song. But anything is "psychedelic" if you listen to it while stoned.

No, I can't see how anyone would call LZ psychedelic. There are some psychedelic elements to some of their songs, but incorporating such elements doesn't define the music overall. They played all acoustic songs, but they're not a folk band, and they played the blues, but they're not a blues band. They're a rock and roll band that incorporated different elements and influences in their music.

Defining music by "genre" is subjective -- and mostly semantic bs. How can you "play the blues" and not be a "blues band"?

Anyone claiming Led Zeppelin didn't have a psychedelic bent needs to listen to the early tours.

Edited by Melcórë

The extended solo in Dazed and Confused with laser show and bow, the extended solo in Whole Lotta Love with theremin and percussions, in 2007, the huge psychedelic backdrop animation during Kashmir...

They were not a strict psychedelic band but they used psychedelic elements from the very start up to the very end...

Edited by hecube

Simple--a band plays some blues covers and/or some blues-based songs, but they don't play them exclusively. No one would place LZ in the same category/genre as Son House or Charlie Patton. Defining music by genre only becomes a semantics game when people incessantly split genres into sub-genres, but even splitting can be useful if it's not overdone (e.g. country blues vs. Chicago blues). LZ did have some psychedelic elements--I don't think anyone's arguing to the contrary--but they also had blues and folk elements. So what?

Defining music by "genre" is subjective -- and mostly semantic bs. How can you "play the blues" and not be a "blues band"?

Simple--a band plays some blues covers and/or some blues-based songs, but they don't play them exclusively. No one would place LZ in the same category/genre as Son House or Charlie Patton. Defining music by genre only becomes a semantics game when people incessantly split genres into sub-genres, but even splitting can be useful if it's not overdone (e.g. country blues vs. Chicago blues). LZ did have some psychedelic elements--I don't think anyone's arguing to the contrary--but they also had blues and folk elements. So what?

...So you have to play something exclusively in order to be considered a musician of that genre?

• 1 year later...

..."Dazed and Confused" is a psychedelic masterpiece.

They aren't "psychedelic" in the same sense as The Beach Boys or The Beatles were, but they did represent a part of the late-60s evolution. .

True

Edited by Pagefan55

It has to be long and jam orientated and at least 6 to 8 minutes long. Long guitar solos and various sounds. Almost like taking the guitar and bass and making them sound like organs.

Hi there, I don't think that's strictly a great definition for what psychedelic music is. Whilst it can include these elements they are not individual or even essential to the genre. But...

Anyone claiming Led Zeppelin didn't have a psychedelic bent needs to listen to the early tours.

With Robert more opining his love for Moby Grape and the west coast scene than the blues in the early days, and Jimmy straight out of the "psychedelic' Yardbirds there was bound to be an influence.

FWIW I reckon "Friends" is pretty psych

Check out the Pebbles box, 13th floor Elevators, Nuggets, and the Rubble Comps