the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

SPOILER ALERT!

Cool fact: The Storm-Trooper that Rey does the Jedi Mind-Trick on was played by Daniel Craig, 007.

Probably will see it a third time tonight...this time in IMAX.

I already had the feeling it was Craig.

A third time....lol, you're more hardcore than I am! (you should re-grow that beard, you look like Luke then).

Just got myself a cam version of it....later this week it's off to the cinema again.

Edited by reswati

^ Interesting article, Kiwi, thanks for posting. I love finding out about the influences from other arts and eras on any given medium. Go back, adapt for your own, transform, create something 'new'. And art still gets underappreciated and underfunded... You can't pass on what's not created.

I can understand your frustration and even agree with it.  Luckily when I saw Star Wars last Thursday night there was none of this happening anywhere near where I was sitting.  This was in a very "posh" theater in Addison, Texas (Dallas) where there was food and drink service at the press of a button and the seats were stacked and even reclined with the press of another button. 

I will say this:  when the very first Star Wars logo came on the screen (right before the usual scroll) everyone in the theater started clapping, me included.  This was an event that millions of people have been waiting for, for years.  I will even liken this to going to see Led Zeppelin although Led Zeppelin toured in 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1979 (Copenhagen and Knebworth) and 1980 (Over Europe).  Just the fact that a fan of Led Zeppelin had to wait a year or two I think is the equivalent of waiting 15 or so years for the newest Star Wars movie.  (Some of you may or may not agree with this statement). 

Thanks, kingzoso, appreciate it. This theatre was walking distance from where I was, and since going downtown would have been a whole production at the time, I decided to just go for it. Like I said, most people were great, really into it, very cross-generational audience, everyone paying attention, oooing and aaahing and laughing... except for the yahoo to my left. 

Zep time is its own dimension. When they blasted onto the scene, it was like traveling at the speed of light, the records and tours, etc. Then after the band's demise, time shifted in the opposite direction. What was it Jonesy said at the O2 presser, five minutes in Zep time is a year? Luckily, now that Abrams has taken over directing duties and the franchise is finally off and running, fans won't need to wait the Star Wars equivalent of Zep 75 minutes. They've set up Episode 7 so well for the next juggernaut to continue. You can bet producers want to cash in as much and as quickly as possible. Luckily, fans benefit from the momentum. 

That's a shame your experience was ruined, Patrycja. Fortunately, the theatres I attend in L.A. have a very strict cellphone policy...and they enforce it.

So who here has seen it more than once already?

Thanks, Strider. You, too, Walter :) It was more the man talking throughout the movie because he was sitting right beside me (the wife's phone was annoying for the bright screen, one of those obnoxious huge Samsungs you have to hold with two hands. I could hear her, but once it was over, that was that). How, I wonder, do they enforce such a policy? I've been to live productions where they have ushers run up to people, but I've never seen that in a movie theatre. 

They've broken and will continue to break all kinds of records. People watching it repeatedly to take in all the little surprises (like Craig's cameo) as well as to try and find any secret clues (to say nothing of those who look for consistencies in the Star Wars universe) is but a small piece of the dynamic. They would have made a killing even if the movie were terrible, but it's great that Abrams is such a fan and cares about the characters and story (and plot and dialogue). Thank God there was no JarJar buffoonery. They struck the right balance between getting their geek on and shifting the series to a better quality film realm. I trust this franchise in JJ's hands. 

I will see it again (sort of have to, don't I? ;))

Star Wars: The Force Awakes is on its way of becoming the biggest movie in the history of the World.  I like James Cameron and most of his movies but I hope that this Star Wars completely annihilates that rather dismal "Avatar" of his.  This Star Wars movie is and will considered a complete "Masterpiece" for decades to come compared to what is the highest-grossing movie of all-time. 

GO STAR WARS!!!

My wife, her niece and nephew and I drove into town tonight to see the thing. The kids and my wife loved it, of course, whereas for myself -an old Star Wars anorak from way back- I thought it was good, but not great. Didn't quite live up to all the hype IMO. Sorta like comparing Zeppelin's 2007 reunion show to the April 28 1977 gig :lol: It was better than the prequels, mind ya, but nowhere near of the same caliber of 4,5 and 6.

Good gawd, Harrison Ford looks old :lol: and the years haven't been too kind to Carrie Fisher, either (I know: to paraphrase Yoda, "When 72 years old you are, look as good as me, will you?"). I liked the new characters and as far as I'm concerned BB8 stole the fucking show. But, Jesus, I think JJ Abrams took just a few too many aspects from 4 for this new one...it seemed just a little bit contrived...a bigger, better Death Star kinda thing? A new villain that they are obviously trying to make more evil than Vader? I dunno, guys, I enjoyed The Force Awakens for what it was but I think the filmmakers played it just a little too safe here. That said, Episode 8 is gonna be fuckin' awesome, I think.

^^^ Fair enough, Nutrocker, but I suspect that some of the familiarity to the original is what is endearing to many fans.  I wholeheartedly agree that BB8 steals the show!  :wub:

Received date night dinner and movie gift cards from employees, looks like we will be going to see The Force Awakens again real soon!  :D 

My wife, her niece and nephew and I drove into town tonight to see the thing. The kids and my wife loved it, of course, whereas for myself -an old Star Wars anorak from way back- I thought it was good, but not great. Didn't quite live up to all the hype IMO. Sorta like comparing Zeppelin's 2007 reunion show to the April 28 1977 gig :lol: It was better than the prequels, mind ya, but nowhere near of the same caliber of 4,5 and 6.

Good gawd, Harrison Ford looks old :lol: and the years haven't been too kind to Carrie Fisher, either (I know: to paraphrase Yoda, "When 72 years old you are, look as good as me, will you?"). I liked the new characters and as far as I'm concerned BB8 stole the fucking show. But, Jesus, I think JJ Abrams took just a few too many aspects from 4 for this new one...it seemed just a little bit contrived...a bigger, better Death Star kinda thing? A new villain that they are obviously trying to make more evil than Vader? I dunno, guys, I enjoyed The Force Awakens for what it was but I think the filmmakers played it just a little too safe here. That said, Episode 8 is gonna be fuckin' awesome, I think.

Spot on Nutrocker, my sentiments exactly. 

Well, to be fair, we don't have much to complain about: we got a new Star Wars movie in 2015 that didn't suck for a change!

Gawd help me, I think I'm actually going to buy one of those remote control BB8 toys :lol: I haven't bought a Star Wars toy in over thirty five years...when I was a kid I had all the old Kenner shit. 

Well, to be fair, we don't have much to complain about: we got a new Star Wars movie in 2015 that didn't suck for a change!

Gawd help me, I think I'm actually going to buy one of those remote control BB8 toys :lol: I haven't bought a Star Wars toy in over thirty five years...when I was a kid I had all the old Kenner shit. 

Lol, BB8 is truly cool.

I just found a replica of Han Solo's jacket on Ebay which I will purchase sooner or later (he and Chewie were big heroes to me ever since 1977).

^ Interesting article, Kiwi, thanks for posting. I love finding out about the influences from other arts and eras on any given medium. Go back, adapt for your own, transform, create something 'new'. And art still gets underappreciated and underfunded... You can't pass on what's not created.

You're very welcome, Pat! So do I! :D It was my pleasure! Happy Holidays! :santa: 

You should be doing PR for the studio with hyperbole like that. I agree Avatar is highly overrated, but I also wonder how long it will take before people catch on this is pretty much just a reboot of the first Star Wars film, with some of the original characters making appearances.   

You should be doing PR for the studio with hyperbole like that. I agree Avatar is highly overrated, but I also wonder how long it will take before people catch on this is pretty much just a reboot of the first Star Wars film, with some of the original characters making appearances.   

yeah, yeah, we all know that.

Do we care?

NO! 

My review: Enjoyable mainly for the nostalgia value. I loved seeing the old characters/actors again.  I also liked the locations and Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.  There was a little bit of good dialogue.

It starts out well, but after awhile the action gets repetitive and about halfway through the plot is extremely predictable. A lot of it was lifted from New Hope, as many have pointed out.

Frankly as soon as I saw that Lawrence Kasdan was one of the writers I knew I wasn't going to like it that much. I have found his past movies to be superficial, lacking depth and character development. But for a fan of the previous movies of course it's worth seeing.

I take back what i said about Lawrence Kasdan; he did write a couple of movies I liked. It's just that I hated The Big Chill and Silverado. Maybe it's the directors I should blame...

I guess the future movies will take the series one level ahead, this was just the intro..........

Cheers, Kiwi! Happy Hols to you and yours :D 

Just found out Abrams isn't even returning for VIII. That's too bad, but he's read the script and regrets not being involved so it bodes well...

Have to disagree here, thank god Abrams will be gone as he is one of the most unoriginal directors out there. He pulled the same shit with this new Star Wars as he did with the second Star Trek movie, essentially rebooting and old idea and placing a few new twists. Now I know this would never happen but imagine Ridley Scott or David Fincher taking over for Star Wars VIII...that would be a frigging amazing movie, or a complete disaster. Better yet, how about David Lynch? Just imagine a whacked out Star Wars with psychopathic Ewoks running around dicing people up in an acid trip scene while the new Dark Lord is huffing nitrous oxide and playing with a blow up sex doll.

Have to disagree here, thank god Abrams will be gone as he is one of the most unoriginal directors out there. He pulled the same shit with this new Star Wars as he did with the second Star Trek movie, essentially rebooting and old idea and placing a few new twists. Now I know this would never happen but imagine Ridley Scott or David Fincher taking over for Star Wars VIII...that would be a frigging amazing movie, or a complete disaster. Better yet, how about David Lynch? Just imagine a whacked out Star Wars with psychopathic Ewoks running around dicing people up in an acid trip scene while the new Dark Lord is huffing nitrous oxide and playing with a blow up sex doll.

That idea was already discussed by me and a fellow painter...........I hope they never get the script that we summoned up, lol.

As far to JJ...his action sequences are great to watch, just like being in there, and as to the plot.........loved the tongue in cheekness of the dialogue (-Rey-"This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in 14 Parsecs".....-Han-"Twelve!!!...mumbles sligtly frustrated...fourteen") The bridge scene was perfect Greek tragedy (though I admit I saw it coming after may years of Star Wars nerdness).

Edited by reswati

I really liked the first Star Trek (2009) Abrams did, and while the second wasn't as strong (if I recall) I think he was the right choice for a balance between action and story. Fincher or Lynch have their niches, but were not the helmsmen that studios would want for the direction of the franchise. (And I think Lucas has Abrams beat in the unoriginal direction category, actually). I liked what Abrams did for the reasons res mentioned, and feel he was a reliable if safe choice to be the franchise bridge between satisfying the rabid older fans and bringing in a new generation. It was a taut story line that sets things up well for future episodes. I get what you're saying, but my expectations of Star Wars is a fun movie with a good story, some threads woven in about where it may go in the future, great action, and keeping with Joseph Campbell's hero's journey which is an obvious influence and powerful wheel that keeps turning this sci-fi mythic epic despite flaws throughout the episodes. Abrams is producing VIII so he's still involved, but hopefully you'll like the new director's take. Regardless of who takes the reins, future SW films be in keeping with what fans have come to expect. Let's hope any subverted expectations please all the more.

I just saw the new Star Wars a couple of days ago, it was okay, but the acting by Leia and Solo were kind of cheesey, and not too fond of the Kylo Ren guy either. The best part of the whole movie was when Rey found Luke and he looked at Rey weathered and saddened.

Perhaps the next installment will be better.