the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

It is such a shame they dubbed Darth Vaders voice with James Earl Jones. Prowse's voice would have been awesome!!! Think about it:

"Cherieoo Obi Wan, how bout we slog off to the pub and talk about it over a pint? Waddya say mate? No? Well bullocks! You wanna act the tosser you nancy geezer than sod off!"

That would have been priceless!

Sag,here you go:

He is? Then kingzoso must have been wrong about that being C3PO...because that's the only one who could be David Prowse.

I guess I will defer and yield to Anjin-san. That means that Me and Strider were both incorrect in assuming that that was Anthony Daniels, aka, C-3PO. I will have to say that I do not know what David Prowse really looks like. But to me, the person that I thought was C-3PO, actually looks like a human version of C-3PO. His glasses look like the big eyes that 3PO has.

Are the people that say that that is David Prowse standing next to Harrison Ford absolutely Positive that that is Darth Vader? For that matter is that little dude really R2-D2. He could be Jabba the Hut for all (I thought I know/knew)?

Edited by kingzoso

If you Google images for David Prowse you will see he looks nothing like Anthony Daniels. David was a bodybuilder and is much larger than the thinner Daniels. It appears the image shown came from this site: http://sisco-center2.blogspot.com/2011/10/star-war-hace-mucho-tiempo-en-una.html where you can see the names of the actors listed. Yes, that is Kenny Baker (R2-D2). That is not Mike Edmonds (or any of the other individuals that were inside the large Jabba puppet in ROTJ) or Declan Mulholland. :D

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

A moment of silence for a great cinematographer.

Gilbert Taylor, Celebrated Cinematographer, Dies at 99

By DANIEL E. SLOTNIK Published: August 26, 2013 NEW YORK TIMES

Gilbert Taylor, the British cinematographer behind hit movies like “Star Wars,” “The Omen” and “Dr. Strangelove,” died on Friday at his home on the Isle of Wight. He was 99.

TAYLOR-1-obit-articleInline.jpg
Columbia Pictures, via Associated Press

Gilbert Taylor was behind the cinematography for Stanley Kubrick's “Dr. Strangelove,” with Peter Sellers.

TAYLOR-2-obit-articleInline.jpg
20th Century-Fox, via Associated Press

Mr. Taylor was also the mastermind behind the bright, clean shots in “Star Wars.”

His death was confirmed by his wife, Dee, the BBC reported.

Mr. Taylor brought a cinéma vérité sensibility to black-and-white pictures like the 1964 Beatles comedy “A Hard Day’s Night” and Stanley Kubrick’s cold war satire “Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.” He ensured that the battle footage in “Dr. Strangelove” was disturbingly realistic by shooting it like a documentary.

“Stanley could handle a camera, so I told him, ‘For all this war stuff, we’ll both put on battle dresses and take Arriflexes into the action,’ ” Mr. Taylor said in a profile in American Cinematographer. “We’ll film it just like combat cameramen.”

Roman Polanski chose Mr. Taylor to work on “Repulsion,” his 1965 psychological thriller starring Catherine Deneuve.

“Our first day’s shooting left me amazed and a bit perturbed,” Mr. Polanski told the cinematography magazine. “As the rushes were shown, however, he possessed such an unerring eye that his exposures were invariably perfect.”

Mr. Taylor brought a claustrophobic feel to Alfred Hitchcock’s 1972 serial-killer film, “Frenzy,” and used a silk stocking provided by his wife as a filter to create the soft, haunting look of the horror film “The Omen.” He also masterminded the bright, clean shots for “Star Wars.”

The director, George Lucas, “avoided all meetings and contact with me from Day 1, so I read the extra-long script many times and made my own decisions as to how I would shoot the picture,” Mr. Taylor said.

Gilbert Taylor was born in April 1914 in Bushey Heath, England. He studied to be an architect, until age 15, before becoming an assistant to an early cinematographer, William Shenton, in 1929.

He joined the Royal Air Force in 1939 and spent World War II photographing nighttime bombing raids over Germany. He took a small unit of cameramen to cover the liberation of concentration camps and the signing of the armistice in Europe.

After the war he helped shoot the political film “Fame Is the Spur” (1947) and then worked on movies like “The Guinea Pig,” which starred Richard Attenborough, and “Seven Days to Noon,” a thriller about paranoia over the atomic bomb.

Mr. Taylor teamed with the American director Richard Lester to film “It’s Trad, Dad!,” his 1961 movie about Dixieland jazz, which became a template of sorts for “A Hard Day’s Night.”

Information about survivors, other than his wife, was unavailable.

Mr. Taylor said he regarded his work on “Star Wars” as his greatest accomplishment.

“I am most happy to be remembered as the man who set the look for ‘Star Wars,’ ” he said. “I wanted ‘Star Wars’ to have clarity because I don’t think space is out of focus.”

Edited by Strider

A couple of quick tid bits regarding Star Wars connections to music history. George Lucas was one of the cameramen for the Rolling Stones feature "Gimme Shelter" and Harrison Ford worked on the Doors film "Feast of Friends". Here's a write up and some images regarding the Doors feature: http://www.thedoorsguide.com/history/harrisonford.html

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

I guess I will defer and yield to Anjin-san. That means that Me and Strider were both incorrect in assuming that that was Anthony Daniels, aka, C-3PO. I will have to say that I do not know what David Prowse really looks like. But to me, the person that I thought was C-3PO, actually looks like a human version of C-3PO. His glasses look like the big eyes that 3PO has.

Are the people that say that that is David Prowse standing next to Harrison Ford absolutely Positive that that is Darth Vader? For that matter is that little dude really R2-D2. He could be Jabba the Hut for all (I thought I know/knew)?

Definitely David Prowse. He was in A Clockwork Orange.

clockwork3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...